Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting Public Land

I dont post often on this site, but I was wondering if I could get tips, opinions or ideas on hunting public land.

Primarily my group and I would hunt public land to fill in between our few private spots we have for shotgun season. We have a small group (5-6) people so we just do a lot of short runs or sitting. So here are a few questions:

1. If you see a vehicle(s) parked on public ground would you still go in and try to hunt or do a push though the tract of land hoping you dont run into the other hunter(s) and if you did would you just tell them what you are doing and invite them along?

2. How many of you hunt public land and what kind of success rate do you see, does'nt have to be trophy hunting just how many deer.

3. It is my understanding that many hunters take the path of least resistance, is this true or do you all try to bust through the nastiest stuff you can find?

4. What tactics seem to work the best for hunting public ground.

Any ideas or opinions would be helpful. Thanks!!

1. Absolutely not...especially during gun season. First come first serve for state ground IMO.
2. I hunt a lot of public with decent success. The key to hunting public ground is to practice the golden rule.
3.&4. getting of the beaten path never hurts. If your talking driving the stuff not sure, I havent taken part in any of the famous IA orange army drives.

Good luck and remember public ground can be very dangerous during the gun season. :way:

I am 100% against doing deer drives on public land. The reason is safety. Without knowing were everybody is at it is just plane dangerous.

I used to hunt Shimek State Forest back in the mid 80's.

My friend and I would split up and go find a place to sit.

We would have waves of drivers pushing waves of deer past us. Nobody knew where any body else was and probably didn't care.

Deer drives aren't the safest way to deer hunt. You took you life in your own hands when hunting on public. Doubt it has changed much, but I have. ;)

1. I ususally will just avoid the area if I see that other people are parked there. It is just too dangerous during shotgun. Sometimes though if it's a big enough chunk of ground and you know where the other people are something can be worked out.
2. I've spent quite a bit of time on public expect for this year I was able to get permission for all private. I have always seen a lot of deer on the public land I hunt and have had success, but yeah, rarely do I see a trophy(have seen a few though).
3. From what I have seen where I hunt public this is true for the most part. You'll see hunters from your car in their blaze orange out sitting from the parking area. I always go really deep into public. There are a few public areas that I am nearly %100 sure that I am the only one that goes in real far,( bow and shotgun) that is also where I typically see the majority of the deer too.
4. During bow I hunt it like anywhere else. I've only party hunted a few times during shotgun on public. I always like to try and do spot and stalk in the timber or along creeks where it is real hilly and has ravines. I've had success with this in the past. Also the other hunters in the area will have the deer moving and that can work to your advantage as well.

Just remember to be extra cautious on public and don't put yourself in a risky scenario.

Drives on public ground during the gun season are too dangerous for me. I'd rather not have a bunch of brush beaters shooting in my direction.

1. Absolutely not...especially during gun season. First come first serve for state ground IMO.
2. I hunt a lot of public with decent success. The key to hunting public ground is to practice the golden rule.
3.&4. getting of the beaten path never hurts. If your talking driving the stuff not sure, I havent taken part in any of the famous IA orange army drives.

Good luck and remember public ground can be very dangerous during the gun season. :way:
agree.gif

Top Bottom