Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting The Rut My Way

Ishi

PMA Member
I’ve wanted to do one of these threads for a few years but never had the courage to start. With Muddy doing one what the heck cause we need for stuff to read.
So far I haven’t hunted much yet in fact this is the least I’ve hunted in October in 33 years.
The Mrs took the truck to work so it could be serviced before I started hunting hard. When she got home she said your truck is a mess them guys probably thought you’re homeless living out of your truck. I said they know what I’m doing.
5a5a2c35c55ca95fb0ec9b89d1cb65e9.jpg

1c7d9900ea58961d70f4a5361ed6f31e.jpg

I’m hunting this morning by my TC so I can pull the SD cards. The place is a jungle with very limited visibility and nothing was seen.
The scrapes have really opened up since last weekend.
25525cb55d64a919b483cf763ffbe60d.jpg

Hade a few on the cameras but not like years past.
36cbcf3247d0462e0588e468dd89ee31.jpg

96824ac94f35ad1a93e10c864915d85c.jpg

This is my target buck so far for this area. I had many good pics of him last year. I’m not going to show much of him until I kill him
ef17da423a004546621fad22c09bb1a6.jpg

This afternoon I’m heading to my buddies place for a weekend hunt.
The title is different but as the thread moves on you’ll see this is just how I hunt. It’s not the right or only way just how I’ve done it for 28 years now.
Packed up now and heading to Steve’s
e9673fdd9dff38443af6aeddf8b0388d.jpg

d81be2ec0e8a1ea57eb906347308a23d.jpg

Lots more to come and I hope the ending is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made it to Steve’s place and we caught up on old times. He bought 240 acres that borders his north fence so he gave me a tour of it.
Right now he only has two ladder stands set up on it the two I bought him last year. This is one of them.
21112565c46a5ccb5f187a515734a02c.jpg

The property had four different individuals hunting it and there are still upwards of 13 still hanging. Many have grown into the tree and I wouldn’t be caught dead using them. Soon the all will be taken down and placed at the road for pickup.
With the addition he has 750 acres to hunt with close to 25-27 stands set up.
As always he asked where I wanted to hunt but I said you pick first. He picked the corner stand BAM I’m then going to the Oak Tree Stand. Today the wind is extra perfect of the evening sit.
513df2c28433bf2840040b7dfcbad8fe.jpg

Wow as I’m typing this a 110 inch buck is making and working a scrape at 3:20!
C5DD18AC-BD6D-447D-B5C0-2AEA39969C5A.jpeg
This stand has been money for seeing deer
I missed a bruiser here two years ago.... used my 20 instead of my 30 it took me a half hour to finally figure my blunder. Homemade smoked Chili after the hunt.

Last edited:
Tonight was a very comfortable sit for temps and wind was calm and still with hardly any wind. From 5:00 on I was covered in deer until dark. I had three bucks close and a bunch of does. Everything was in feeding mode as they were heading to the crop fields.
Steve got to his stand late but seen nothing.
Today is a new day and this post I slacked on pics so next ones I’ll try to do better:)
I forgot that his mother in-law has a farm several miles south so mid day we are going to check a couple more stand and clear lanes if needed.

Super good looking trees in that timber, nice logs! Oh, good luck with the deer hunting too. :)

Super good looking trees in that timber, nice logs! Oh, good luck with the deer hunting too. :)
You need to quit thinking about money and more about deer hunting:D

He likes his ladder stands in big old oak trees. The new farm will be logged selectively next year.

You need to quit thinking about money and more about deer hunting:D

He likes his ladder stands in big old oak trees. The new farm will be logged selectively next year.

Ha! :) Believe it or not, I have never logged a tree yet, although I will some day. I just love the sight of those big old oaks though, beautiful stuff.

Good stuff. I'm guessing the look of your truck is about the norm for what to expect during hunting season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Good stuff. I'm guessing the look of your truck is about the norm for what to expect during hunting season.

I’m glad some people understand

The chili was excellent!
You have to remember Wapsi I’m basically homeless and living out of the truck until Thanksgivings unless I tag out so cheer me on!
Hunting 60-90 miles from home the truck is loaded with snacks for the tree stand and I’m already sick of pop tarts!
f9412098247c7f45c5c7de23aad8a09f.jpg

The boss of the house did make me some homemade cookies last night to put in the pack...... they were gone by .. say ...8 am

I’m glad some people understand
The chili was excellent!
You have to remember Wapsi I’m basically homeless and living out of the truck until Thanksgivings unless I tag out so cheer me on!

...and you have to understand that I am insanely jealous! That would be a blast, hitting the road till you drag something back home.
Following all your hunts, keep us updated! Cool thread.

Thanks Wapsi!! I know you’re joking and so was I about being homeless
This morning only produced one small buck.
But it was a pleasure to sit in the beautiful weather. My buddy only seen one deer this morning but he didn’t hunt long.
View facing east
b80222e2d324aa5fa978fa76d7f78f2c.jpg

View to the west
fb0276783b6882f8d9360fa06c0c1eaa.jpg

Another majestic Oak tree
30ee41c4cc4ac72efe181351a46c57d9.jpg

I just arrived at home.
Unreal night.. emotionally shot and still comprehending the events. The buck fever is running wild!
Give me a day or two to get the story compiled as I have business to take care of today.

c5aa6c887986776ea86b4af16490190a.jpg

Congrats! I hate waiting.

Top Bottom