Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting with a Hinge

Tmayer13

A little back story to start. I suffered SEVERLY from target panic. Thought about going up archery my anxiety was bad. 2019 hits and I know I'm going to be chasing the largest deer of my career, so I make the decision to relearn shooting a bow. I broke down my form, I followed John Dudley's school of nock word for word. By the end of the summer I shooting dimes. Now that's the short version but there was a ton of pain and heartache to get there.
So in 2019 I started shooting a resistance activated release (Carter Silverback). And I've shot it ever since with great success but I wanted to be more accurate. So as I purchased a new bow this year I also switched to a hinge style release. I chose the Ultraview Hinge 2.
So far I love it, my groups have never be tighter and all is well. But as I'm learning to master the hinge I can't help but think I'm a bang bang situation will I regret moving this release.
Unfortunately for me going back to a trigger style release of any sort will most likely never be an option, so resistance or hinge releases will have to work.
Any guys out there that are hunting with hinge releases?
d1259a84d05a359540c0b42e91c6e7e5.jpg
57eebd35c6b7ba9838825eda1543abc0.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

I suffered SEVERLY from target panic
I feel your pain, went through that years ago and it drove me nuts. Started while shooting recurve and long bows, took over a year to get it under control but not 100%. Went to a compound and shot well but got it again, wasn't using a release or sights. Ended up getting a release and eventually a sight. I never tried a hinge or back tension release but thought about trying though. I'd be interested to see any feedback as well.

I’m not a “gear nut”…. Are these similar to “thumb releases” or same?
I don’t have target panic but if the thumb release makes groups tighter - & I think they might. I need to try some!!! ….. very curious. I can’t say my old glove with trigger is the best thing with all the tech advances.
With any “gear” I want “the best”. Other things - could care less. What would some models or brands be (u love above?) & approx cost? I pry would buy 3 so I had back ups during hunting season.

I’m not a “gear nut”…. Are these similar to “thumb releases” or same?
I don’t have target panic but if the thumb release makes groups tighter - & I think they might. I need to try some!!! ….. very curious. I can’t say my old glove with trigger is the best thing with all the tech advances.
With any “gear” I want “the best”. Other things - could care less. What would some models or brands be (u love above?) & approx cost? I pry would buy 3 so I had back ups during hunting season.

The Ultraview Hinge release is nothing like a thumb release. There is no trigger on it at all, its activated by pressure on your fingers and pulling through your shot. You will never be more accurate with any release than you will with a hinge but there are some drawbacks as well. Your learning a whole new game when it comes to this release.
I would say if you are still shooting a wrist strap release you should look else where and you will increase you accuracy. "Most" people who shoot a wrist style trigger release are trigger punchers, not all for sure. Theres actually some scientific reasoning behind why people punch the trigger when using the end of their fingers.

I use a Scott Hex hinge, I think they used some in Midwest whitetail and I tried it to get out of my bad target panic. I used it 5 seasons or so and love it. I squeeze them off perfect practicing but have been rushing the process with deer in front of me. Still much better than my target panic with a trigger as at least I'm getting to my spot before squeezing

My boys and I will be trying out the Stan Onnex resistance releases on deer this year. It is Like your silverback.

Dudley makes a back strap release. It is an index but is also a tension release.

Shot IQ by Joel Turner. He is a shooting instructor and has studied psychological roots of target panic. It truly is mind over matter. You have to stay in control and squeeze the shot off. NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

I'd say if you're accurate with it, confident with it and comfortable with it in a hunting situation then go with it. Who cares if anyone else uses one, as long as you can operate it when the shot is on the line.

I had target panic very bad one year and I wasn't going to swap releases cuz it was so late in the season and I have years of muscle memory in a standard wrist-trigger style release. I ended up curing my target panic by floating the pin on the target and just squeezing till I had a surprise shot. I think I watched a Bill Winke video where he talked about it. I still shoot that way, but I know some guys have to change their whole routine because they get it so bad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom