Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I find this hard to believe, thoughts?

Eh. I tend to lean toward trusting people. Especially ones that actually call the game warden.

Nothing about the story really jumps out to me as foul play. It would have been hard to pass up an 80 yard shot on the fenceline though. Sitting that close to the property line with a gun he had to know that shot was a possibility...if not expected. Property he was hunting is tiny though so you can't really fault him.

Cool that he found him. He had sheds off him as well.

I’m not judging but what stands out to me is, and I assume 203, is that he walked right to a 234 inch deer within minutes. Idk. Luck.

No chews in timber. No body. No 80 yard shot on a fence line so bad you can't tell where the line is. Call in a DNR officer that has no evidence to deny your story. Go out looking for the deer on a hunch and disrupt a sanctuary that you have permission to shed hunt on and that you have found his sheds in the past. Those would be my red flags. Still no solid evidence...still fuzzy. But yet, how many times have you seen/found things that you yourself can't believe. I'll say it would be a huge risk to run it past an officer when you know the land owner gets first shot at claiming the head... but without a salvage tag, you have an illegitimate trophy. I'm going with the hunter on this...great find!

I don't find anything in that story that would arouse my suspicions. FWIW, one time a few years back we had a buck active on our place that we were very interested in tagging and when the time came and we knew from trail cams that he had shed out, I drove my truck to within about 20 yards of where I strongly suspected that I would find his sheds. I hopped out and had them both in my hands in about 2 minutes...and 90 seconds of that two minutes was me walking into the timber from where I parked. He had dropped them on top of each other in his bed.

I seriously could not have spent less actual time looking for them unless I ran over them in a lane or field by accident. Sometimes you just know where those big boys go and bed and that is a great place to look. Unfortunately for us...that buck just disappeared and we never saw him again and we never did hear anything about where he ended up. Dang.

No chews in timber. No body. No 80 yard shot on a fence line so bad you can't tell where the line is. Call in a DNR officer that has no evidence to deny your story. Go out looking for the deer on a hunch and disrupt a sanctuary that you have permission to shed hunt on and that you have found his sheds in the past. Those would be my red flags. Still no solid evidence...still fuzzy. But yet, how many times have you seen/found things that you yourself can't believe. I'll say it would be a huge risk to run it past an officer when you know the land owner gets first shot at claiming the head... but without a salvage tag, you have an illegitimate trophy. I'm going with the hunter on this...great find!

FWIW, in my experience, you will get FAR LESS "chewage" on a deadhead than on a shed antler, even in a timber. (I see far less chewage on antlers in fields than in timbers too.) I don't know if it is because they stink, etc, or what. But I have often found dead heads with little to no chewing on them...meanwhile a short distance away you can find an antler that is 1/2 chewed up, but that is a single laying there.

FWIW, in my experience, you will get FAR LESS "chewage" on a deadhead than on a shed antler, even in a timber. (I see far less chewage on antlers in fields than in timbers too.) I don't know if it is because they stink, etc, or what. But I have often found dead heads with little to no chewing on them...meanwhile a short distance away you can find an antler that is 1/2 chewed up, but that is a single laying there.
Generally Mice and Tree rats wont chew on a dead head unless it has been there for a very long time, my opinion is that they dont do to the predators/scavengers eating the dead animal would be more than happy to eat a mouse or squirrel as well. If you are an antelope dont go into the lions den unless you want to become lion poop.

Agreed, I would say its almost uncommon to find a dead that has been chewed, unless its been there for 2+ years

• Deleted by Hardwood11
  • Reason: add
Show…
Top Bottom