Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I killed Sleepy Joe

I think he had dementia like the real sleepy Joe, out wondering around during daylight.
Hell of a deer for sure, Congrats!!
was he hitting clover or brassicas?

Congrats on another giant. Can you share some details of your set ups? Were all three bucks from the same farm? I'm assuming you tucked the kill plot real close to buck bedding. If so what type of habitat, cover type, elevation, etc. are the bucks choosing for bedding? Hardwoods? CRP? Overgrown pasture? Any details that we can learn from would be great. Thanks

I think he had dementia like the real sleepy Joe, out wondering around during daylight.
Hell of a deer for sure, Congrats!!
was he hitting clover or brassicas?
Clover. My last 3 bow bucks have all been killed on separate micro clover kill plots in October.

Sounds like a killer setup!!

We had to drag that thing maybe 6o yards...at one point I thought about quartering him, it was horrible! Such an awesome experience to have shared with you! The pics dont do the body much justice, he was 300+....Awesome animal for one of the best hunters I know!!!! Booners beers are my favorite!

Congrats on another giant. Can you share some details of your set ups? Were all three bucks from the same farm? I'm assuming you tucked the kill plot real close to buck bedding. If so what type of habitat, cover type, elevation, etc. are the bucks choosing for bedding? Hardwoods? CRP? Overgrown pasture? Any details that we can learn from would be great. Thanks
Different farms.... well two of them off same farm but a mile apart (Really lays like two farms). You are exactly right.... Clover tucked in close to bedding BUT that is still easily accessible for killer entry. Bedding cover varies, but the common denominator is NEVER EVER EVER EVER going in there except one time a year to shed hunt and if needed drag the target out. I rarely see deer bed in CRP, all in timber/thickets. One other thing is taking out mature bully bucks in years prior in all cases in same core area as target buck.

Different farms.... well two of them off same farm but a mile apart (Really lays like two farms). You are exactly right.... Clover tucked in close to bedding BUT that is still easily accessible for killer entry. Bedding cover varies, but the common denominator is NEVER EVER EVER EVER going in there except one time a year to shed hunt and if needed drag the target out. I rarely see deer bed in CRP, all in timber/thickets. One other thing is taking out mature bully bucks in years prior in all cases in same core area as target buck.

Thanks for the insight, great stuff! Taking out bully bucks is legit for sure and Iowa allowing multiple tags is powerful for management.

Top Bottom