Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ideas?

Status
  • Deleted by N/A

TheMadCatter

Finally finished a 2.5 acre food plot (trees removed, rocks removed, and a billion other things) I'm thinking since I haven't had a Soil test I'm just going to put 6-24-24 on it and see how it does this year. I'm more or less wondering how to get started and if I should wait and spray it or start planting corn with 6-24-24 on it now? Same with EW, should I plant it now or wait until later? I have ragweed and everything else coming up and no clover coming up around my stand. Should I wait for the ragweed to grow up spray it with round-up then replant it? I frost seeded March 1st but it didn't have any NPK on it. Now it does, but there's nothing growing. I only have 50lbs of 6-24-24 by my stand. I'm wanting to grow EW on the drive-in, R&R corn on the south side of the plot, clover/brassicas on the north side, and soybeans in the middle. Any advice?

Two days ago for part of the plot:
12135-20140409_193920_zps5ejxqkzw.jpg

Yesterday:
12135-20140409_124658_zpsvsdg4fzk.jpg

12135-20140410_180337_zpsax4jrxbu.jpg

12135-20140410_180511_zpsjj7704mk.jpg

12135-20140410_180757_zpsrwv1winw.jpg

12135-20140409_132821_zps60rh3v3f.jpg

12135-20140409_132901_zpsdnc4i1tm.jpg

My stand:
12135-20140409_191251_zpsutbnfzyz.jpg

12135-20140409_191306_zps72aunnfb.jpg

Last edited:
How long has that field been in grass? Do yourself a favor and do a soil test. It's going to need lime. If your soil PH isn't where it needs to be then you'll just be wasting your fertilizer, and your corn, brassicas and soybeans will not reach their potential. Clover would still probably come out OK in low PH soil.

As far as spraying, that all depends on what types of herbicides you have access to. If you just have roundup and a big tank sprayer you can wait for the weeds to start coming up and then hit it real quick with the roundup before planting to hold the weeds back.

Dbltree has a thread on Egyptian Wheat and planting times. I think most people plant in May or June.

Looks like a dynamite spot, hope everything pans out for you.

How long has that field been in grass? Do yourself a favor and do a soil test. It's going to need lime. If your soil PH isn't where it needs to be then you'll just be wasting your fertilizer, and your corn, brassicas and soybeans will not reach their potential. Clover would still probably come out OK in low PH soil.

As far as spraying, that all depends on what types of herbicides you have access to. If you just have roundup and a big tank sprayer you can wait for the weeds to start coming up and then hit it real quick with the roundup before planting to hold the weeds back.

Dbltree has a thread on Egyptian Wheat and planting times. I think most people plant in May or June.

Looks like a dynamite spot, hope everything pans out for you.

It's never been farmed. Lots of good organic matter.

Get on web soils survey and check out your CSR rating, this will give you an idea of how well corn could grow in that particular area. It all depends on your soil type, but yes the best case is for you to get some soil samples to see what your NPK levels are at right now bc you could be over applying fertilizer, I wouldn't just put it on without knowing. Your soy beans will be fine, just remember not to plant them too early bc after emergence a wicked frost could kill them off bc they are hypocotyl. Pm me for questions about web soil survey, the site can be a bit tricky to navigate.

I would save my money and not even worry about planting corn or beans. Unless you are getting the sample stuff or next to free. If you are on a budget and don't have access to much equipment far more time consuming and money than popular blends that can be hand broadcasted. Again, just my two cents... The deer are going to destroy small sections of either RR corn or beans unless you have an electric fence.

I'm going to be broadcasting a soybean plot in another month or so. It's in a deer rich environment with few other ag fields close. So I'm going to be broadcasting pretty heavy. Probably throw some P and K on it. Maybe a little nitrogen. If I was doing corn, I would put on a lot more nitrogen. You could probably find some free test plot corn from some local seed dealers if you have some connections. I wouldn't be afraid to plant soybeans from out of the bin though. If the corn or soybeans do get decimated, just plant some oats and rye in September.

Forget corn and soybeans on that little of a plot I don't care how "thick" you are seeding it. Waste of time and money. You can plant 6 acres of beans and they will still clean it off. They start eating as soon as they pop out of the ground they go right down the rows.not a lesson to learn when everyone else already has.

I have unlimited access to RR Corn and RR Soybeans along with unlimited access to fertilizer (up to probably 600lbs). I'm leaving about half an acre of corn by the blind and an acre of corn 400 yards away.

We planted 2 acres of beans this year and let the grass grow in with them seemed to deter the deer a bit and they are still snacking on the beans now.. Need to mow them now that I think about it.

Live and learn man. If they browse everything off, plant something else this summer/fall. Especially if your RR seed is free. Plant it into the dbltree rotation and go with that in future years. Keep us posted!

I have unlimited access to RR Corn and RR Soybeans along with unlimited access to fertilizer (up to probably 600lbs). I'm leaving about half an acre of corn by the blind and an acre of corn 400 yards away.

As mentioned before, don't waste your time and effort on beans and corn in that small of a plot. Even free it is not worth it. At the very least you will have to fence it off. Then when you take the fence down you have a vary short period of time before they wipe it out. I have 3 acres of dbltree rotation and 4 acres of beans that I put in plus ag fields around me. I still have to fence the beans. My opinion would be to focus on dbltrees' rotation. It works!

Good luck!

If I were you TH, even if the corn and beans are free, I'd get a soil test done and then do the dbltree rotation. Just from your posts it seems you have a very high deer density and corn and beans amongst all that cover are going to get murdered. Trust me on that one. Back when I first started plotting I got my hands on some free corn and beans and everything came up great but was quickly decimated by the deer, and this area had a medium to low deer density. I guess you could always sow the corn and beans and expect it to get hammered, then go back in September and over seed with rye, clover, and radishes.

I have 1/2 an acre of Red Clover coming up as I type. :) I'm planting EW on the enterence and Brassica later this year in the rest of the plot with some EW on the edges

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom