Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Improving Website??? - Ideas, input, suggestions.....

If things go as I'm hoping the site will remain much the same, but perhaps simplified a bit for a year or so. That being said the use of Facebook, YouTube, and other social media will be used within the main body of the forum to enhance it.

I haven't been on this site long so can't compare the past to current. I remember that shortly after I joined that the site was having issues with others that wanted to? In other words, there was almost 2 years where no one new could join meaning no new comments and perspectives.

Monster Buck you took my post way out of context. I wasn’t digging your post just expressing my opinion. No worries here my attitude is great as the 26th of October I’ll start my four weeks quest for a Monster Buck:D
I invited you to get involved again on this site as you have many great ideas.
I know you like to eat and smoke meats check out the Let Eat!!! Thread and share your knowledge with us.

Sligh1 you are helping to put my mind at ease. I can see a Facebook group buying this site. If they want to partner up that’s fine but my hopes are this forum stays solvent.
I have a feeling good things are coming. I enjoy the heck out of this forum and don’t want it to end.
No worries. I'm just pointing out that although you may not like Facebook the iowa Bowhunter group I just found has 10 times the activity of this forum and it is a medium that is still growing to its potential. I don't know how that can help this forum other than getting members involved and referring people from other groups over to this site or setting up on IW group and getting people to come here from there. The two could suplement each other.

NO OFFENSE TAKEN!!!
1) Agree with a lot of what you said.
2) Dbltree - is going to be restored because "it's unreal information" and "nothing like it". It's one of Paul's Legacies and it's genius. Folks WILL ADD TO IT. In the spirit of what Paul was doing with it. That alone, nothing alone, will fix all problems. It's one point though & it's a huge information source for tons of folks & needs to be brought back to spotlight. Over the years, we all come here for different reasons. I know some guys that "ONLY WANNA SEE GIANT BUCKS"... ALL GOOD!!! Some guys, only habitat, some guys want interesting topics & debate. All are great. Dbltree's posts - I personally know they have impacted thousands and actually change the landscape across our state (and others) - literally. Paul's legacy of knowledge will continue.
3) Pictures - agree, will get fixed. WILL HAPPEN.
4) Driving traffic to site..... Tons of room here.... Agree with above.... A) Classic and doing merchandise. Even if No profit period was taken from Merchandise, that needs to happen. B) FACEBOOK - I'm not a facebook person. Below, I put a little link for FB but that's all I do and it's under my wife's name. here's the cool part.... Don't have to figure this out exactly BUT... IW (some folks) can & will do some FB posting but more just to keep folks engaged who are on there and bring some traffic to IW. This website will never change to a FB format. FB would simply be an add-on to keep up with the times. Anti-FB guys will have zero changes in reality.
5) With time, changes will come..... Buck contest, give aways, changes on PMA - all critical and positive thinking here. To give you perspective..... It WILL get better, big picture. It will be done in next 2-12 months IMO. New ownership with OneCam's post will likely help this out. Hopefully there's some changes coming and I suspect there is. Ain't gonna happen overnight BUT I promise you, whoever and however - there will be lot of great folks (like many on here) that are gonna execute on some great things. I'm sure a lot more to come on this.
6) Taptalk & apps..... OK - since I'm not a tech guy (yes, I admit, a major fault for my contributing) - I have to check into this. The good new is: there's a lot of hardcore tech dudes that can make these things happen. Again, I'd bet a nickel, with change in ownership, this will be addressed and resolved.
Good things to come. I'm as certain the website will get some Horsepower & Changes coming to it VS guys shooting some big bucks this fall. It's gonna happen!!!

"MIWGA" Make Iowa Whitetail Great Again! Will happen.

Paul was a legend. He was a huge source of knowledge and he loved to share it. You absolutely should preserve his legacy by preserving his threads BUT my fear is that if you don't fix the more immediate issues this website will wither into obscurity and then nobody will see Paul's posts anyway.

Big ain't always better. Be great if somehow we could get some of the older members back on. Larry Zach,TH4,limbhanger,nannyslayer are you listening? T50 take a hike! Fishbonker is probably to busy with trapping.

Hey I saw a buck follow a doe this morning, do you think the rut is starting?

Definitely, we are in the thick of it now!!!

Hey, the barb wire fence on the west side of the farm I hunt has three posts rotting, but one of the strands of wire looks newer, do you think it will be okay to hunt that side of the property still, if we have a south wind??

lol, its comical reading a lot of the questions people post on there, I have to slap myself in the forehead at least twice a day. But at the same time, 10 years ago I was just like some of those people. If you didn't have anyone taking you out as a kid etc, the only way to learn is asking dumb questions and just getting out there and trying trial by error.

Definitely, we are in the thick of it now!!!

Hey, the barb wire fence on the west side of the farm I hunt has three posts rotting, but one of the strands of wire looks newer, do you think it will be okay to hunt that side of the property still, if we have a south wind??

lol, its comical reading a lot of the questions people post on there, I have to slap myself in the forehead at least twice a day. But at the same time, 10 years ago I was just like some of those people. If you didn't have anyone taking you out as a kid etc, the only way to learn is asking dumb questions and just getting out there and trying trial by error.

I better get out there and hunt, they'll be on lockdown by next week.

I'd say you're probably ok with a south wind but if it switches to SW then I'd pack up and go home because the scent from that newer strand will blow all the deer off of your property. Unless you have ozonics, or scentlok, or an HEC suit and a tinfoil hat, then forget the wind and just hunt.

I saw a deer lying dead along the side of the road this morning, do you think there is an EHD problem?

I saw a deer lying dead along the side of the road this morning, do you think there is an EHD problem?

Did it look like it had been crushed by a semi truck? If so, then yes, I am afraid you have found an area that has been stricken by EHD. Sorry. ;)

Did it look like it had been crushed by a semi truck? If so, then yes, I am afraid you have found an area that has been stricken by EHD. Sorry. ;)

Get out your grunt tube, it might just be sick from cwd, and a few snort wheezes might rile him back up. Wait, was the cornfield nearby picked yet? If so then it was rutting.

Yes, but at least this site has decent questions and not stupid crap about people sitting all day on October 10th, or asking how the deer movement is at 1 in the afternoon. Lol
The Iowa bow hunter page is where everyone is going. 4000+ members and still growing. It's way easier to just open up Facebook see the current updates, and not worry about spam bots and having to pay memberships to access other sections of forums. Same with Iowa trophy bucks. Alot of great people on the Facebook groups. And if someone posting about who's out, what's the activity like etc bothers you then apparently you don't like to share daily information....

I know some of the clowns on an Iowa bowhunters facebook group. If you like hearing from the guys who shoot the first 1.5 year old who walks in front of them then go ahead and follow that site like it's gold. If you want to hear about deer management and habitat this site is where it's at. Dbltree's section has influenced people all across the nation and some of the people on here are some of the best big buck killers on the planet

I know some of the clowns on an Iowa bowhunters facebook group. If you like hearing from the guys who shoot the first 1.5 year old who walks in front of them then go ahead and follow that site like it's gold. If you want to hear about deer management and habitat this site is where it's at. Dbltree's section has influenced people all across the nation and some of the people on here are some of the best big buck killers on the planet
I had to unfollow that page the first week of Oct. I just couldn't take it. I know we all have our idea of hunting but man alive. Nothing like sitting all day in a blind the first week of the season?????

I had to unfollow that page the first week of Oct. I just couldn't take it. I know we all have our idea of hunting but man alive. Nothing like sitting all day in a blind the first week of the season?????

Hey, can't kill them from the couch! :p

We need to drive traffic and solve these issues. The idea is: attracting new members but the “right members”. I’m great having beginners on here, etc. Wanting to learn and share. I always want this site to be one of the elite for “knowledgeable and passionate hunters though” - whether u on learning or teaching side or both. Which most always learn new things here - I sure do. I could do without some of the idiots in the general public and they likely should stay on a site thats “amateur”. I’m not talking down or I don’t mean to.... I’m simply saying - the guys that have came here in the past “usually” bring a far higher level of: knowledge, maturity, desire to learn, experience, success and have a love for Iowa, habitat, mature bucks, etc. “most” the offensive idiots get weeded. Now it’s just time to regrow the groups of guys that are similar to the vast majority that’s on here now. Elite group of stand up guys & night/day vs other sites.

Whatever walk you are in your journey- if u have something to share, teach, learn or have genuine fun or debate and ur IQ is higher than amount or fingers you have - we welcome new folks!!! Want em. Appreciate them.

This site is GOING to grow but grow CORRECTLY. With knowledge, niches, passion, love of Iowa and outdoors at its core. $ will never be a defining force & motivation here. More to come on this later but the site is growing, adapting & changing for The better. It will be a NICHE website unlike any others - growing Many of the things that have made it successful in past.
Good stuff y’all. Keeper coming!

The big hitters it seems to be uploading pictures and getting the app going. Personally I have no trouble with pictures but it took awhile to figure it out. The app on the old version I never used it or maybe not even the new app if it ever gets fixed. I have no issues with the site as a favorite on my home screen. But both issues needs addressed in the future and it sounds like both will be looked into in the future.

Next it seems the PMA is dead or very close to it. I’m thinking there should be different levels of sponsorship that maybe all levels get some kinda perks.
I want this site to keep rolling and I have no problems with monetary donations to keep this site solvent in fact I cherish it.
Now FB is fine if you like it but FB lives for today and tomorrow the post are history. Forum like this where everything is archived for members and guests.... the history here is invaluable.

This site seems to be picking up steam in the last couple weeks maybe because the rut is close;) I like it when I come on here and it takes me a 1/2 hour to see all the new posts versus a couple of minutes. Good things are happening now and hoping for the best in the future. MIWGA (Making Iowawhitetail Great Again)

We need to drive traffic and solve these issues. The idea is: attracting new members but the “right members”. I’m great having beginners on here, etc. Wanting to learn and share. I always want this site to be one of the elite for “knowledgeable and passionate hunters though” - whether u on learning or teaching side or both. Which most always learn new things here - I sure do. I could do without some of the idiots in the general public and they likely should stay on a site thats “amateur”. I’m not talking down or I don’t mean to.... I’m simply saying - the guys that have came here in the past “usually” bring a far higher level of: knowledge, maturity, desire to learn, experience, success and have a love for Iowa, habitat, mature bucks, etc. “most” the offensive idiots get weeded. Now it’s just time to regrow the groups of guys that are similar to the vast majority that’s on here now. Elite group of stand up guys & night/day vs other sites.

Whatever walk you are in your journey- if u have something to share, teach, learn or have genuine fun or debate and ur IQ is higher than amount or fingers you have - we welcome new folks!!! Want em. Appreciate them.

This site is GOING to grow but grow CORRECTLY. With knowledge, niches, passion, love of Iowa and outdoors at its core. $ will never be a defining force & motivation here. More to come on this later but the site is growing, adapting & changing for The better. It will be a NICHE website unlike any others - growing Many of the things that have made it successful in past.
Good stuff y’all. Keeper coming!

This is what drew me to the site several years ago, when I would say the site was at its high times, but within a couple years diminished quickly. I enjoy the fact that the majority on here are much more knowledgeable and passionate about deer and IA and specially archery and very pro deer and "conservative" you could say with the regulations in IA. I learned so much no about deer, hunting, gear, scenarios, regulations, habitat, etc from this site. So much and in detail and in a forum that I don't think many of the FB pages could replicate. I don't enjoy some of the posts on some of the FB pages about people asking why we can't have our regs changed to this or that etc and proposing this or that. The members on this site understand the implications that change would bring. The members on this site seem to see the big picture. New members are good and needed to help grow this site and bring it back, but as Sligh said, we want the "right members". JMHO

Top Bottom