Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

In The Rain

J

jason

have any of you guys hunted turkey in the rain? How does it affect them, if it even does at all?

Last year was our first for turkey hunting. Our first day out was great. There was a steady rain, but it didn't seem to shut the turkeys down at all. Between 2 setups we called in 8 birds. It's also a good idea to be set up right after a heavy rain stops. The birds will start right up again.

From my 18 yrs hunting the birds I have found that setting up on open fields, Ridge roads or woods that are EXTREMELY OPEN work great. Fields the most though. Just like any human would do in a rain storm, do you like to walk through wet brush and weeds and get all wet and matted down? The same thing is true of turkeys, they don't like getting their feathers all soaked. They would rather stand in the rain and shake themselves off than walk around through that brush. So by all means hunt in the rain, as long as it isn't a torrenchal down pour. I have even had birds gobble tons to thunder. Just pack your rain gear and stay put. They will come to the field or that open logging road to do their stuff.

I have seen them out in the open fields during the rain, but thought that the reason was that when it is raining they can not hear predators coming.

I have seen them out in the open fields during the rain, but thought that the reason was that when it is raining they can not hear predators coming.

Like others have said, look for birds in the fields or open timber during a rain. They can be had, but patience is key. I have shot them in a steady rain a few times by being and staying in the right area. A secluded open field is best IMO. If you are moving all over looking for a hot bird you are probably spooking more than you will ever see.

I shot one once that was so wet his tailfeathers were matted down "sticks". He was strutting around and looked really goofy without his normal dry fan. It reminded me a peacock or something. But he was still strutting around like somebody come.

Don't expect a lot of gobbling, although I have heard them gobble at thunder too. They will start gobbling though following a storm and become somewhat more likely to come to the call too.

But the main thing is to know the preferred "open" spots and be there first and wait.

I've had the best luck on old road ways and open ridge tops with very little brush in either a flat rain or directly after the rain stops. As always the more wind the harder it is to get a response. We hunt out of permanant blinds when it is rainy and have had better than average success doing this. (Over five toms the past few years) If you can stay dry, it beats sitting at home wishing you were hunting. The toms seem to be a little less wary and more responsive for company.

Top Bottom