Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Indiana Truck Ride

jkratz5

I have to admit I am one of the least positive people when it comes to hunting big deer in early October, but this year I was fortunate enough to get on a great whitetail during the first two weeks of season.

Rewind to April. The landowner of this property agreed to let us put in a 1/2 acre plot in a secluded region of of his timber. We went to town for a few days and cleared more honeysuckle, briers and black locust than I care to ever see again. After two weekends of work we had laid the foundation for a perfect food source.
20899906-BF18-4E16-803F-CF7B89715DB8_zpsmy8tvprl.jpg

Even got the 5 year old out there for the clean up
205904C7-35E5-4654-A8B9-64BCEA0D53B9_zpslkkkh0ti.jpg

The plot went in as a clover blend and in late July we plowed 1/4 of it under and planted the Big n Beasty Blend from frigid forage. I had heard good reviews on this mix and picked it up on the cheap thanks to some bass pro gift cards

Come September and this thing is LOADED with deer. As season approaches we are getting a stud on cam consistently in both morning and evening shooting hours.

My view from the stand
image_zpsfumdsntb.jpeg

Some of the deer hitting the plot
EK000589_zpsaubwrjuv.jpg

EK000125_zpsreveukop.jpg

EK000326_zpsqoltnwti.jpg

Monday evening after a cold front roles in I had an awesome encounter with this deer as he entered the food plot at 6:30 and fed for 30 minutes in my direction. At 40yds I was ready to deflate him when one of the does in the plot with him had other plans. As she exited the plot he followed and I was sick with not getting an arrow in him.

With the next cold front rolling through Weds afternoon and the pattern of two mature bucks on cam I decided to head to the stand for a morning hunt Thursday. 45 minutes into the hunt I was greeted with a twig snap and as I looked to my left a shooter had stuck in and was standing 5yds.

I grabbed the Elite, drew and when he entered a clearing I let the Hammerhead eat. It found its mark true hammering the right lung, nicking the heart and lodging in the opposite shoulder. It happened so fast that I thought it was the buck from Monday evening. When I recovered him I was surprised to find that it was a buck I had never laid eyes on. I will take him as he is a dandy 10 with some awesome crab claws and character.

Jarin%20Buck%201_zpsoruixdtv.jpg

IMG_0081_zpsb1u4yaz2.jpg

Jarin%20Buck%202_zpsroj1pokc.jpg

My chase for an Indiana buck has ended early this year which leaves me some extra time to spend in IL during the rut with my brother and dad!!!! Looking forward to the rest of the season a

Nice buck.....great story. Glad to see your hard work paid off. thanks for sharing and good luck the rest of the season!

Congrats! I was wondering if you were hunting from the shack till I saw the stand pics.

Top Bottom