Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

info on Iowa EHD

teeroy

Life Member
EHD is a virus that is spread by a biting midge; there is no deer-to-deer transmission
The midge feeds on an infected animal, the virus colonizes inside the midge; when the midge bites an uninfected deer the virus is spread
EHD is closely related to bluetongue and both produce the same symptoms in deer
The virus causes the animal to spike a high fever, cell walls break down, cell contents begin to leak (causes fluid build-up, swelling), areas of internal hemorrhaging occur
In the latter stages of the disease, the animals will be lethargic, stumbling, sometimes drooling, and unresponsive.
The cases we have been seeing in Iowa are mostly peracute and acute cases of EHD with the animals dying within 1-4 days after the fever begins
Because the disease progresses so quickly, deer dying of EHD will be in good body condition. They will often be found in or near water because the high fever and dehydration makes them seek it out
The disease poses no risk to humans
The meat is safe to eat. Although if a hunter shoots a deer in the latter stages of the disease when it is not acting normally they will be shooting an animal that has been under extreme stress for a couple of days (high fever, dehydrated, adrenalin in system, etc.) and the meat quality will likely be impacted as one would expect
Cattle are resistant to both EHD and blue tongue for the most part and mortality is fairly rare and many will not even display any symptoms if infected
Sheep are fairly resistant to EHD but bluetongue can have an impact at the herd level
Since Iowa deer are only exposed to the viruses on an infrequent basis, the resistance of our herd to the disease is low
The outbreak will end once we have a killing frost which will also kill most of the midges
Here is a link to a video of a deer dying of EHD:
http://www.fox17online.com/news/fox17-video-shows-deer-suffering-from-ehd-20120918,0,6044336.story

Reports have been coming in fairly steady this week but not as rapid as they were 3 weeks ago. As of this evening, 1,366 suspected Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) cases from 47 counties have been reported (1,178 reports & 44 counties on 25 September).

Please continue to submit all reports of suspect animals.

Suspected HD Cases

September 28, 2012

GetInline.aspx

Last edited:
DNR should rethink kill numbers for tags,,as nature is doing a good job by itself, without our help!

I had this same conversation with a couple of friends today. We have decided not to shoot any does, and only really nice bucks.

Found a dead buck by the pond i fish had kickers officer Both g2's, split g3 (not sure if Its considered split but thats what Im saying), bladed beams and bladed brows. Probabally score in the 50's, but Its a shame to find a deer like this.

I got a question for you guys.... For those of you finding deer or folks you know that did, how many occasions did it seem like you were finding 4 year old & older BUCKS for example?? Like, are most of you folks finding does, fawns & 1-3 year old bucks?? I doubt there's any truth here BUT I'm "hoping" my tough & healthy older bucks could possibly fend this off. I'm probably off base but man, there's about 6 deer that I will likely freak out if EHD gets em.

I have found 4 bucks so far on a few different farms. ONE buck was a 4 year old that I wanted someone to shoot (wasn't any bigger this year vs last) & sucks no one was able to get him. The rest for me have been 1-3 year old bucks, several does and a couple fawns that could have been killed by coyotes.

Also, I can think of about 6 buddies total that would have now found around, maybe, 50-60 deer total now? Right or wrong (yes, probably not right), none of them reported one of these deer. So- my firm belief is, if you see 200 deer reported in a county, you EASILY can multiply that number by 10, if not significantly more than that. That's my belief & opinion.

This has to effect everyones season,,what we do, or don't see. could be a tough year hunting. Those who want all deer dead are happy. We know who they are. The drought is going to have more impact than just on our fun. DesMoines River is down to a trickle west of Madrid,,and lower every day.

Sligh - I am not an EHD expert and so far we haven't seen any sign of it this year at our place, but I too have heard from many others that have found dead deer this summer. What I have gathered though is that it is more likely to affect older bucks than any other class of deer.

Sorry, don't want to freak you out, but that is something I have read several times. Why...I don't know.

blake said:
I had this same conversation with a couple of friends today. We have decided not to shoot any does, and only really nice bucks.

I had already decided on no does getting shot by me this year, this just seals the deal. I'll shoot a spike Buck before a doe this year and probably my approach for next year too. I think I have my "it's brown it's down" cousins talked into it also. They've seen decreased numbers in Jefferson county and it's getting old.

Also- what you all think on that last frost we got a week ago? Think that did in the Midges?

Haven't had any cases of that this far north yet(in Iowa), but from what I have seen and read most reported deer have been does or small bucks. I have seen a few great deer that have fallen victim to EHD. What I don't completely understand about this disease is why is southern Iowa more affected than northern Iowa, especially northeast iowa, when Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania are also having this problem.

I heard that bucks get hit the worst because the midge can bite,sting,chew or what ever they do to a buck antlers in velvet,and infect them. Not sure if this is true but it sounds legit.

Also- what you all think on that last frost we got a week ago? Think that did in the Midges?

I imagine it got some of them and cool temps have slowed their reproduction but I found 2 more dead both pretty recent I also had a friend find one in his yard in story county yesterday along the des moines river.

So far I'm up to 7 found dead on the farm and 6 along the creek down from my house. I suspect only like 10% are ever found and reported.

The buzzards seemed to be circling every water source yesterday.:(

I found a doe yesterday that was very fresh. Midge fly is still alive and well. Warren county is hit hard!

I found 3 Saturday in Ringold County. Small 8 point in a pond, 140" 8 point in a creek and a doe 10 yards from the same creek. Agent I spoke with said he didnt want to issue me a tag for the larger one because its a diseased deer. He said I could call him back in November after the area has had a hard freeze/frost and he might let me take it then.

i don't think the frost did anything around here. cold temps at the end of this week could do it

Top Bottom