Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Inventory Feed

jhertel

PMA Member
Was just curious to what guys put out this time of year to get inventory and see when bucks are shedded? I got a new property this year that borders an well managed and amazing chunk of ground and just curious if most just use corn or what? Also if the is any cattle/ hog feed that anyone puts for protein. I have pretty much a good way to get to any type of feed livestock wise and just wasn't sure if anyone knew of something to put out other then buying wild game or deer feed? Thanks in advance any help is appreciated!

Just about anything that is easy to access will get hit hard if there is snow cover on everything else. I have put out corn in the past and it's worked very well. A couple hay bales with some loose corn would be a big attractant I would think.

I think as long as you dont put TONS of shelled corn out its fine. Its really no different than them getting into a standing field of corn yet IMO..

I think as long as you dont put TONS of shelled corn out its fine. Its really no different than them getting into a standing field of corn yet IMO..

I usually mix 2 bags of cracked corn in with one bag of whole kernels. Each spot only gets about a bags worth, I have never seen any problems from that.

I start off with 2 big bails of alfalfa and place 2 Christmas trees over the top of them I then add a 40 pound bag of rakx sweet sixteen deer feed. And finish up big horns mineral plus 30 pound bag.

sent from super hunters I phone

Be careful! Deer are in survival mode right now..too much feed will mess with their rumin levels and can kill them. a deer can go a month without food so an overload is bad news for their digestive system.

Hopefully horsedoctor can add some real science to this, I may be full of crap...

Not totally full of crap but not quite correct. When nearly starved to death as in yarded up deer in heavy timber during a BAD winter (Northern MN, MI or Maine), deer cannot tolerate rich foods such as corn & alfalfa. Iowa deer rarely if ever get in that shape so that corn or alfalfa won't hurt them much. They seem to inherently limit their intake to whattheir systems can handle a little like donkeys, mules or goats will do. Horses, & sheep on the other hand will happily eat themselves to death on carbohydrate rich diets given the opportunity. In Iowa, feeding a little corn won't normally hurt the deer. They may be hungry but they are rarely starving to death.

i just ordered a couple Big&J BB2 cubes that i will put out this weekend...i read alot of mixed reviews on them but optimistically bought anyway...any of you guys put these out or have any thoughts on these cubes?

i bought them to place in front of trailcams with hopes of getting a buck to shed near the cameras or to catch a few shedded bucks on camera

I used bb2 the past couple of yrs. but switch to rakx sweet sixteen because it does not only attract the deer but is also a complete feed. From a company that test for two yes prior to selling it.

I use trophy rocks and antler king blocks. They are full of minerals fat and protein, all what they need during winter. You won't find anything better

Square bales of mixed hay. Thought about topping with a little corn, but didn't have any on hand. Thinking the hay may last a little longer too.

I start off with 2 big bails of alfalfa and place 2 Christmas trees over the top of them I then add a 40 pound bag of rakx sweet sixteen deer feed. And finish up big horns mineral plus 30 pound bag.

When you say big bales, are you talking round? Or just bigger squares (60-80 lb vs 40-50 lb)? Spreading them out?

Be careful! Deer are in survival mode right now..too much feed will mess with their rumin levels and can kill them. a deer can go a month without food so an overload is bad news for their digestive system.

Agree, don't over do it, you could do more harm than good. I take inventory with shelled corn but only put a small bucket out at a time and spread it around. I use Trophy rocks too but they don't seem to bother them much until March.

Any harm in feeding old seed corn or beans.....we have a ton of stuff that is a few years old I was considering putting out and hanging some cameras over ?

Top Bottom