Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa House File 2410

Only things that “scare me”….
1) residents that don’t hunt. Don’t understand how little habitat we have. Don’t understand how quick the land would be bought up.
2) Casual hunters or new hunters that hunt by permission that will object after they realize they are screwed if this goes through.
3) folks not knowing this single bill is due to one single man with many many many millions of dollars hiring multiple lobbyists to get his way (with the company of a few other NR buddies).
4) folks saying “they should be able to hunt” when they don’t understand: they already can. Can shoot does, bucks with party tags, turkeys, small game, etc.
5) not understanding that it will: increase property tax for NR’s & bring in more people who don’t live here & pay all the other taxes year Round like R’s.
6) SOME who don’t realize iowa is the last great place. They don’t understand that other states have ruined their states with infinitely larger amounts of habitat & deer - due to special interest crap like this.
Ruin this state- there’s no going back guys. This is very serious & you all must write in. & get your “weekend warrior buddy” educated & writing in as well. Maybe takes 20 mins with copy/paste emailing.
7) the man or men behind this COULD buy a charity auction tag and hunt bucks here EVERY YEAR!!! Instead- they have a tantrum & hire lobbyists to change the rules to suit them over the R’s. This will destroy the charity auction tag program that benefits countless non-profits with hundreds of thousands so NR’s can buy those tags (write it off as tax deduction) and hunt here every year!!!!
8) all these NR’s have deer in their own states they can hunt yearly. They leave because their state is ruined.

Everyday working man & kid RESIDENTS are toast if this goes through.
Skip

Who is the man or men behind this push? I think it's good we get this info out there now so we can organize. You have talked about how we, as sportmen, are not pro-active but this kind of info allows us to do just that. I think often we get blindsided by these proposed bills in Jan and don't have enough time to get the word out. By starting now I think we have a much greater chance of having our opinions heard.

Iowa is a great state, but it would all end if you didn't have the gun season in December. If you moved it to November 8 or 9 like Minnesota (for example) it would only take a few years and it would be over. Think about sitting in the archery stand on November 8 and how many bucks you see, then think how many are in rifle range (during the rut).....boom, dead, boom dead. In 3 years your age structure is shot.

Anyone messes with that and the rest does not matter, no more anxiety about nonresidents as they would not be hunting in Iowa much.

Iowa is a great state, but it would all end if you didn't have the gun season in December. If you moved it to November 8 or 9 like Minnesota (for example) it would only take a few years and it would be over. Think about sitting in the archery stand on November 8 and how many bucks you see, then think how many are in rifle range (during the rut).....boom, dead, boom dead. In 3 years your age structure is shot.

Anyone messes with that and the rest does not matter, no more anxiety about nonresidents as they would not be hunting in Iowa much.

I definitely agree with the notion that a gun season during the rut would radically change things, and not for the better. BUT...I also think that if a NR could get a guaranteed tag with "X" amount of land, etc, then that would drastically accelerate the purchase of rec ground to the point where Iowa would be a rich man's playground related to whitetail deer and it wouldn't take 3 years. BOTH are huge threats IMO.

Skip

Who is the man or men behind this push? I think it's good we get this info out there now so we can organize. You have talked about how we, as sportmen, are not pro-active but this kind of info allows us to do just that. I think often we get blindsided by these proposed bills in Jan and don't have enough time to get the word out. By starting now I think we have a much greater chance of having our opinions heard.
It’s one guy out of Florida. He owns land in Monroe co. I apologize if I have any of those details wrong but I am fairly certain I’m dead on. He has infinite funds. COULD BUY A CHARITY AUCTION TAG EACH YEAR!!!!! But instead…. Uses his $ to hire several lobbyists to change the rules in iowa to suit his wishes & a few of his buddies.
IMHO - this is a wealthy guy behaving like an 8 year old that mom & dad didn’t discipline. Adult tantrum but with millions of dollars to have the tantrum with.
I don’t know the guy but I believe I have the facts correct & he is the one guy that personally hired many lobbyists to get this crap through.

Agree. Gun season change & this state is done. It would go from all surrounding states being inferior to iowa being dead last…. The reason is: iowa has about the least amount of habitat vs these surrounding states. Its probably the most FRAGILE system in the Midwest.

Must be the same dude our IBA president met with a couple years ago. If I remember right dude will be relentless until he gets what he wants and made it clear he could give $hit less about what Iowans want or what's best for this states deer herd.

Must be the same dude our IBA president met with a couple years ago. If I remember right dude will be relentless until he gets what he wants and made it clear he could give $hit less about what Iowans want or what's best for this states deer herd.
Curious who this dude is!! Need a name…

That’s him!!!!!! I can find a name. I honestly forgot.
Here’s a photo of his partner who is also paying the lobbyists that connected everyone up. This guy actually has more character & integrity to be fair…
9C226CC1-B8E5-4E12-8B70-99DCD57F7364.jpeg
576A0934-E2EC-4EFC-934A-8CAC3A3C4E49.jpeg

Who cares who he is. The only option is to voice opinion, stats, and facts to the contrary. Honest and open debate.

There are deep pockets on both sides. You don’t think the Winkes, Drurys, Lakoskys, Kiskys etc don’t quietly voice their opinion to the legislature? Heck several years back the Drurys hosted the Governor on a hunt. Lol. It goes both ways.

Last edited:
I definitely agree with the notion that a gun season during the rut would radically change things, and not for the better. BUT...I also think that if a NR could get a guaranteed tag with "X" amount of land, etc, then that would drastically accelerate the purchase of rec ground to the point where Iowa would be a rich man's playground related to whitetail deer and it wouldn't take 3 years. BOTH are huge threats IMO.
Iowa is there already! It is already a rich man's playground as land has increased so much in the past 5 years that it is not affordable to most people right now. Rec ground is being bought by residents, non residents and non residents that have become residents.

Do you think it is best we start contacting legislators now, or wait until January when this is on the table again?

Honestly, this stuff isn’t on the legislatures radar for months. I think it’s a waste of time now. Wait for bill intro, who introduces the bill, sub committee assignments, committee assignments etc. Enjoy the hunting season.

Honestly, this stuff isn’t on the legislatures radar for months. I think it’s a waste of time now. Wait for bill intro, who introduces the bill, sub committee assignments, committee assignments etc. Enjoy the hunting season.
Thats what I was thinking

Our electric officials work for us 12 months a year not just during when they are in session! Rest assured the bills that get introduced and being written up now or will be long before session arrives.
Emails never hurt to be sent cause they are supposed to working for us and not for their political agenda but I doubt the later.
If anyone is inclined to do so… do it! I’ll be sending Rozenboom a email after a long awaited vacation. My email will say why should I vote for you after your kill all the deer bill from this last session. If I choose not to vote for him I’ll just leave his vote blank (I’ll never vote for a Democrat) and seats have been determined my just a few votes.

One thing I’m seeing and I could be wrong is with social media via texting or emails our voices and concerns are being ignored as it’s just another email with no face to face or person to person contact!
Before social media when the IBA or personal issues arose we had to call the state capital and a operator would answer the phone and would say who do yo want to talk to. A Page would go and get the person and they would talk to you about your concerns over the phone. It was much more personal and maybe that’s what we need to do as their cell numbers are on record.

And another shameless plug for the IBA ….. join up its only a measly 25$. Now is the time to fight as once a law is passed its law for a long time!
Enjoy the upcoming deer season cause next year things might be different

Last edited:
Join IBA!!!!
I think both thoughts above are great!!….
1) hold off and we need FURY & FIRE (respectfully) from a mass amount of folks when this crap hits.
2) some “prevention” is wise IMO…. The thought of “xyz legislature: we know this is brewing & coming back. This is why you should not support it and please help stop it before session hit ______”. Prevention is often times better than reaction. Both are needed.

The reason I don’t want to abandon #2 is: I was contacted by one legislator who is on our side & warned me it’s coming back. He wanted some help and for sure is concerned about hunters writing in. Either way- before or after this garbage hits- we need to FIGHT & get a lot of folks waking up & writing in. That alone will be a huge factor whether it goes forward or dies.

I would think FB and other insurance companies would really push to kill this bill. As much as I dislike FB and there agenda at times I think they would be our ally in this case.

Do you think it is best we start contacting legislators now, or wait until January when this is on the table again?
Personally I think now is the time to voice your opinion. You know the bill is out there with legs so it's not doing any harm. Granted they might be farming or doing whatever they do when they aren't in session, but on the flip side they aren't getting piles of emails at this time regarding bills like they are when they are in session. I think now you have a better chance of making an impression, as opposed to when it's in session and the rep sees another emailing regarding something they may consider less important like deer and wildlife.
Could be wrong, but that is my thought process

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…
Top Bottom