Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa House File 2410

whitetail_obsession

@Skipsligh @Fishbonker What's the deal with this bill? Is this a new bill for this session or where are we at with it. Read about on FB and the jist of it is allowing non-residents who own 80 acres or more to be able to hunt every year. If this is true I think it is a terrible bill for Iowa residents and goes right along with Skip's podcast/video about land access. This will drive up the cost of land and make it even harder for residents to buy while displacing those residents to public land. Certainly seems like the state is appealing to non-residents more than it's residents with this bill.

Dude you’re about 5 months late. There was a bit more to the bill than owning 80 acres, but it died at House caucus close to the funnel date. Did not have legislator support.

Dude you’re about 5 months late. There was a bit more to the bill than owning 80 acres, but it died at House caucus close to the funnel date. Did not have legislator support.
I thought it had died so when I seen it posted I was confused. Glad to hear it died but we all know it will be back. Thanks for the update.

It’s back. It died last year and they are going through the process of bringing it back. So- everyone is correct.

As much as it sounds great to the special interests & a % that would get more tags…. This change in regs for some NR’s ….
1) will destroy access & the 7-8% timber we have here: the remainder out there will be all bought up.
2) the new hunters or anyone who hunts by permission: RESIDENTS - they are the losers, PERIOD, end of story.
3) these particular minority of legislatures choose to side with special interest lobbyists & a small % of NR’s over their own citizens & voters…. They should be primaried out. EVERY LEGISLATURE NEEDS TO HEAR FROM YOU!!!!!
4) most NR’s i know dont want this state changed & ruined like the states they are fleeing. I empathize with those that do want it changed but it would ruin this fragile system we have.
5) this bill is thanks to a small handful of NR guys with big $ hiring lobbyists in iowa to change the system.

Last edited:
It’s back. It died last year and they are going through the process of bringing it back. So- everyone is correct.

As much as it sounds great to the special interests & a % that would get more tags…. This change in regs for some NR’s ….
1) will destroy access & the 7-8% timber we have here: the remainder out there will be all bought up.
2) the new hunters or anyone who hunts by permission: RESIDENTS - they are the losers, PERIOD, end of story.
3) these particular minority of legislatures choose to side with special interest lobbyists & a small % of NR’s over their own citizens & voters…. They should be primaried out. EVERY LEGISLATURE NEEDS TO HEAR FROM YOU!!!!!
4) most NR’s i know dont want this state changed & ruined like the states they are fleeing. I empathize with those that do want it changed but it would ruin this fragile system we have.
5) this bill is thanks to a small handful of NR guys with big $ hiring lobbyists in iowa to change the system.

Don't let this happen or you'll end up like us in Missouri, non residents will be flooding your state, I wish we were a draw state instead of over the counter. Mo Dept of Conservation only cares about $$$ and it's been that way for a long time.

Act now before it's too late, IF they change your regs it'll never go back

Only things that “scare me”….
1) residents that don’t hunt. Don’t understand how little habitat we have. Don’t understand how quick the land would be bought up.
2) Casual hunters or new hunters that hunt by permission that will object after they realize they are screwed if this goes through.
3) folks not knowing this single bill is due to one single man with many many many millions of dollars hiring multiple lobbyists to get his way (with the company of a few other NR buddies).
4) folks saying “they should be able to hunt” when they don’t understand: they already can. Can shoot does, bucks with party tags, turkeys, small game, etc.
5) not understanding that it will: increase property tax for NR’s & bring in more people who don’t live here & pay all the other taxes year Round like R’s.
6) SOME who don’t realize iowa is the last great place. They don’t understand that other states have ruined their states with infinitely larger amounts of habitat & deer - due to special interest crap like this.
Ruin this state- there’s no going back guys. This is very serious & you all must write in. & get your “weekend warrior buddy” educated & writing in as well. Maybe takes 20 mins with copy/paste emailing.
7) the man or men behind this COULD buy a charity auction tag and hunt bucks here EVERY YEAR!!! Instead- they have a tantrum & hire lobbyists to change the rules to suit them over the R’s. This will destroy the charity auction tag program that benefits countless non-profits with hundreds of thousands so NR’s can buy those tags (write it off as tax deduction) and hunt here every year!!!!
8) all these NR’s have deer in their own states they can hunt yearly. They leave because their state is ruined.

Everyday working man & kid RESIDENTS are toast if this goes through.

If we want to oppose this bill, and send an email, where do we find the email addresses to send it to?

This bill is not active. It must be reintroduced when the legislative season begins in January.
I was contacted by one of the representatives…. “It’s coming back. Please help”. It’s coming. Correct- next legislative session this is back full force.

If we want to oppose this bill, and send an email, where do we find the email addresses to send it to?
I second this, I like most don't know who or where to find out who to contact, and more than happy to push our agenda to everyone in my circles however need to make it easy to do so. Does anyone on the site have a link for the legislators in each district or area?

Is the Iowa DNR or any deer hunting groups buying more hunting land for the locals to hunt? More public land?

I believe there was a law proposed, possibly passed trying to limit buying more land for public use.

I believe there was a law proposed, possibly passed trying to limit buying more land for public use.
The bill proposed last session that would cap public land was not passed/advanced. Those types of terrible ideas are never dead, but that one did not pass, thank god.

A buddy of mine got a response the other day from one of the guys that supports these bad bills & usually one of the creators: Rep Baxter…. Something along the lines “this bill died last year. It had some great things blah blah blah.” I got contacted by legislators saying “it’s coming back”. So- any writing In is for next session & can word it as such.

Top Bottom