Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Zone 6 Public Hunting Land Assistance

mihunter

Long story......short version,

After collecting preference points for three years and saving money to pay for a hunt I was finally drawn for a bow license this year. I hunted zone 6 in Keokuk from November 5th -12th and hardly saw any deer. I was hunting with a farmer / outfitter who allegedly had some great hunting land. The farmer came highly recommended from a local taxidermist regarding great whitetail hunting on his property.

I understand deer hunting is hit or miss but there was not much sign on the property and no food for the deer as well. At different times the farmer would mention how hard they drive their and the neighbors property during shotgun season. I can write more but I think you know what I am eluding too and I don't want to bash the farmer anymore - water under the bridge. Needless to say it was not a great experience.

Well, I kept my bow license and spoke with my wife when I got home making the decision to come back for the late season and in hopes of filling my tag. I would greatly appreciate any information that would help me find a few good places to hunt in zone 6. I realize late bow season will be tough hunting but I am willing to try. Unfortunately I do not have much time off of work for scouting so if anyone can suggest some places that are not highly pressured I would be very greatful. I am from Michigan and have only taken one buck with my bow I have only been bowhunting for 4 years and really hoped to shoot a nice buck while in Iowa.

Thanks in advance for any help......

Thats a bummer sorry to hear that never like to see anybody look foward to something and spend there hard earned cash only to be let down

First off, welcome to reality (not trying to be a jerk). TV shows, DVDs, webshows, magazines, etc make Iowa look like there's a big buck hiding behind every tree. In reality, that's just not the case. It sounds like you understand that from your post, and I'm sorry you didn't have much luck. Is Marion County in zone 6? I don't much about the Keokuk area. If you don't get any feedback then look up public ground on the IDNR site (I think they still have that on there). Also, give the local county conservation boards a call and see if they have any public hunting ground....they may even give you a few ideas on where to key in on. Won't hurt calling the local conservation officer either. I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.

As you said, bowhunting late season can be very tough in Iowa, espescially if the deer have been highly pressured from the gun seasons. Find a good food source, and get the right weather, and you can have some great hunts and see quality deer. Good luck, I hope you have a better experience the 2nd time around.

Like already said I would call the local CO and ask about public areas that don't get much of pressure. I have noticed a few in my area that can produce some monsters at any given time and receive little pressure. I'm not talking zone 6 but there will be similar areas there I'm sure. This past weekend I gave a ride to a guy that shot a real nice 14 pointer on public land in South Central Iowa. He had been dragging the deer all morning and was exhausted and a half mile from his vehicle but you couldn't wipe the smile off his face. It can be done. Best of luck.

I agree with sureshot he pretty much said it all, everytime I turn on the outdoor channel all I see is SOUTHERN IOWA DEER HUNTING! I am fortunate enough to have family who has ground there but live in northern Iowa and let me tell you if someone shoots a big one up here everyone knows about it because in reality there isnt that many around. A 130 inch deer would be considered a monster.
Sorry to hear you didnt have any luck but growing up in Iowa and living here my intire life and lots of hours in the trees your not going to see the big ones every time out let alone get a shot or be fortunate to take one

I hope you didn't drop much coin on hte guy because it sounds like you got a lemon. Ther is quite a bit of public land in that Zone including state forest. But the key to it is finding the food. You need to know where the deer are feeding and then find land to hunt where they are bedding and travelling. pretty darn hard to do that without getting there first and looking it all over. Remember that the smokepole hunters will be out at that time too.

NR

Personally, I would leave a couple days early for your hunt, drive around and look for deer and/or any food source you can find. Ask persmission tell them your situation and they may grant you access??

Chances are they are done hunting and they know you will probably not be knocking on their door next year you might get a free pass?

Good luck!

Sorry about your story but maybe I can help a little. If you are hunting in zone 6 there is quite a bit of public hunting ground. An area called the Eldon game area adjoins my farm and has about 2000 acres with plenty of hills and timber and places that you can walk into a mile or more from any road. There are also a couple of areas around Selma that are public and some around Ottumwa as well. The ground near me gets pushed pretty hard usually during the shotgun seasons, in fact I will be hunting part of it tomorrow, but there should be some deer left but I don't know what. There has been one guy that I see in the parking areas that has been hunting it a lot over the last couple of years during bow season and then later as well, so he must be seeing something to keep coming back.
I certainly don't mind helping a fellow hunter out a little and it sounds like you got a bad deal with your "OUTFITTER". I hate the fact that any one in our State can call themselves an outfitter with no licensing or bonding or any other requirements. If you want to contact me I live near Floris Iowa and am listed in the phone book there and my name is on the profile, Dave Steele, I don't believe that we need to hide our identity on these Internet sites.:D

Now that's what I'm talking about! Dave.....:way:

He is from Michigan though. Them Michigan boys are pretty sketchy :D

Thanks to all that have submitted information and sent pm's. I will start looking at the areas that were mentioned. I appreciate everyones insight into late season Iowa bowhunting. I will keep everyone posted on how the hunt goes.

Thanks again...

I think I would hit a couple local coffee shops in the morning in your zone. The old boys there will chat it up with anyone, explain your situation. I am sure they will have some sugestions and some may possibly own some land or point you in the right direction, buy their coffe and you will start to build a few relationships and will probably not need an outfitter next year. A trip back later in your trip to let them know how you are doing and they will remember you.

Top Bottom