Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ISO light climbing sticks and mobile setup suggestions

buckyeah

Hey guys, I’m pretty new to all this and looking to mobilize my set up a bit this year. Looking for some lightweight climbing sticks or any suggestions (eg Hawk Helium, XOP, lone wolf, muddy pro sticks, etc). Shoot me a PM if you want to unload some. And if anyone has any tips on a solid mobile set up for bow season. Thanks in advance all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have lone wolf sticks and stands and can’t complain. I’d buy them again if I was in the market. I do have a lone wolf climber I haven’t used that’s in excellent condition that I’d sell if you’d be interested in something like that.

Lone wolf sticks and stand. The smaller stand. Assault I think. I’d take handful extra screw in steps as well. I hate hang & hunt ;) but if I do- get there really early with lil saw, steps & some extra patience (the patience part never works out no matter what & I lose my temper every time but I still try).

Since no one has made the suggestion yet xop sticks for the locking mechanism hands down. They also make brackets that lock sticks to stand. Lone wolf or xop stand really doesn't matter but I think the offset bracket for the xop is easier when up high then lone wolf hook but not a big advantage either way. Lone wolf assault and xop vanish stands weigh about the same. Lone wolf sticks are about .5 lb less per 3 foot stick then xops but Ill carry a .5 more per stick to lock them together. Xop sticks now come in a mini stick as well which is a nice option. Ive done my research as I am going this route this year with still some locked in hang on stands as I have in the past.

There is a lot of great information available if you look and ask people. For years I used a summit climber.. by far the most comfortable stand I still own. Once I have a great tree in the perfect location found I will carry the heavy thing in and use it. For ease of finding spots on public land I switched to a tree saddle. I found it to be very comfortable and safe. My climbing sticks and saddle weigh less than 8 pounds total. It’s not for everyone but it is gaining popularity. If you are new to all of it google some saddle hunting climbing techniques, they can be used with a treestand as well. The saddle crowd is very innovative when it comes to light weight climbing methods. Best of luck.

Great, thanks so much for the info guys. Very helpful. @Sligh, why would you bring extra screw in steps?

Regarding saddles, it is interesting to me since I don’t have much gear right now, just a hefty bill to get set up with it. Seems like the trendy thing all the cool kids do these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree with it being kind of trendy thing currently. Two things though, it works great for public land hunts, secondly being not for everyone you can find some good deals on equipment. I bought mine off Craigslist for about 1/3 of the cost of new. I wasn’t sure if I would like it or not. I enjoy it a lot. It’s more comfortable than most treestands for me personally. I intend to use it this fall on my private land hunts as the deer here in mittenville where I hunt are very stand shy. I can also hunt out of a lot of smaller trees that can’t hold a stand. It all comes down to your personal preference in hunting. I started out with 18-22 pound steel hang on stands like most everyone did. I had a great time making mistakes growing up and learning in the deer woods.

Top Bottom