Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ISO Shingle Oaks

I ended up finding a nursery in Holland, MI that lists them in their catalogue but due to very little commercial demand don't start many. I bought the 250 bare roots they had for this spring at around .60/ea.. They're super nice, responsive, and reasonable so I'm sure if any of you wanted to combine our demand together they'd get bare roots going. Just a thought.

Feel free to PM me if serious, as I will most likely be getting a few hundred every spring for years to come. They are just such a good cover tree that don't exist in my area.

I look at them like cedars, they have their place but I certainly wouldn't carpet bomb a farm with them. Maybe I just see them differently because I have so many of them?
For oaks, our property is 90 percent burr oak. 5 percent pin oak and 5 percent black oak. Just trying to get as many different species as I can for diversity. Shingle oaks don't really exist here.

I look at them like cedars, they have their place but I certainly wouldn't carpet bomb a farm with them. Maybe I just see them differently because I have so many of them?
I know they can take over. I was looking at an option for quick habitat. They seem to co-exist with cedar. I’ve got 5-6 acres that could be converted.

Phenomenal bedding situation!

Last edited:
I ended up finding a nursery in Holland, MI that lists them in their catalogue but due to very little commercial demand don't start many. I bought the 250 bare roots they had for this spring at around .60/ea.. They're super nice, responsive, and reasonable so I'm sure if any of you wanted to combine our demand together they'd get bare roots going. Just a thought.

Feel free to PM me if serious, as I will most likely be getting a few hundred every spring for years to come. They are just such a good cover tree that don't exist in my area.
Which nursery is that? That’s town I grew up in!
Agree on great cover. We have gazillions on my farm & have to thin them. Fantastic tree though.

I know they can take over. I was looking at an option for quick habitat. They seem to co-exist with cedar. I’ve got 5-6 acres that could be converted.

I'm doing the same with 5ac. It's in fairly thin 3yo switch, and the plan is to go through it with the tree planter with overly wide spacing of white pine and shingle, then just let it go. I already have 30ac of CP2/natives adjoining so this is a little experiment corner.

A big landowner in my general area has converted hundreds of acres of old tillable to prime deer ground over the last couple decades doing exactly that, minus the shingle oaks. They are just my twist on it. Keep in mind I am in the prairie, so any woody cover is a bigger deal here than more traditional timber areas.

There is no doubt about that. I have a long ESE facing hillside that is a cedar/shingle mix that is starting to get some age on it. I thin the shingles and cedars every year so neither get out of hand. I also have areas of Shingles that are on my to do list this Spring...not sure what my approach will be but they are definitely getting in the way of some great south facing would be bedding areas.

They're one oak that doesn't require any assistance to flourish. A delicacy for turkeys in winter.

Even in high deer density areas. I'll be culling out several of them this winter doing some TSI.

Think you can get away planting them unprotected? (I know, cardinal sin)
I have piles of those growing unprotected.

There's a ton I'll be cutting this winter to allow for some white oak varieties to flourish growing in between all the single oaks that regenerated.

For every swamp white oak I have coming up, there's a good 10-15 shingle oaks the same age.

Kinda hard to tell, but all those trees holding leaves are shingle oaks in the background....

Could spend days out there trying to remove all of them that size/age. They're great to cut and leave as a stump sprout for browsing. Elm and shingle are two of my favorites for that.

IMG_1523.JPG

Shingle oak uniquely takes rubbing better than any other oak or most trees I can think of. It gets kinda shrubby/multi-stemmed & filled with inner branches so deer stop rubbing. If u only did a small amount - they probably could kill them. But- clusters get going & doesn’t take long before they get away from deer. Extremely hardy tree. If it were me… couple hundred- pry protect em. If u started doing piles- that’s a tree I could see beating deer pressure.

Top Bottom