Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

It's a good time to be out!!!

Critter

Life Member
Wasn't really sure where to put this post, but I thought some of you guys would like to hear this.
I've been off this past week and have had quite a bit of time to sit out in the stand. For anyone that thinks you can't harvest a big buck in the early season, think again.
For the third afternoon in a row I've seen at least one mature buck trailing does in the hardwoods. They're not running them, and they're not cruising in the morning or the early afternoon, but come 5:30 or so they're definately starting to show up.
After shooting my buck three days ago as I watched him trail a doe in I decided to head into the hills where I do most of my "rut" hunting. Yesterday I was literally surrounded by deer come about 5:30. Two does came out of a bottom with two fawns, and as they came out into the sidehill they would stop and look back every 5 or 10 yards. Sure enough here he came, a mature buck probably around 140 or 150. He came out far enough just so I could get a look at his rack, then right back in to the thick stuff. That was the last I saw of him for the evening.
The does moved on another 50 yards or so, and the fawns split off from the up behind my tree. Soon after that the fawns began to bleat, trying to get some direction from the does I guess. This went on for a little while, and low and behold here comes another buck from the bottom. This buck wasn't big, but he was at least a 2 1/2 year old. He followed the trail the does left and progressed up about 40 yards from my stand. He then freshened a licking branch and then did the same with the scrape below it. Fortunately I got to watch him do it because I had no idea the scrape was there in the first place. Eventually the buck came around far enough downwind of me that he caught my scent, and then the freeze was on. Right after that I hear what sounds like a freight train rolling through the woods upwind of me. Here comes three does running full bore up to me, they see the buck and stop dead in their tracks. So now I've got a buck downwind of me trying to figure out where I'm at, two fawns right below my tree walking around without a care in the world, and three does upwind of me staring at the buck trying to figure out what he's looking for. Needless to say, I was stuck in the middle in an awkward position, and wishing I hadn't picked up my bow ten minutes ago.
To make an already long story short, I somehow managed to outlast the deer without spooking them and got down as soon as it was dark.
Just thought I'd share that story with you guys. Its always nice to hear about dayling buck sightings this time of year. Kind of gives ya a little more ambition to get out in the woods a little earlier and stay a little longer.

CRITR

some great info Critr. I know some of us could stilll use some help. Thanks for the heads up.

Top Bottom