Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Jacob's First Big Game Tag: Javelina Down!

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
This past Friday was an amazingly awesome day! Our son, Jacob, filled his javelina tag at 1050 this morning at 62 yards and no tracking required. He did great on the hike up the hill, keeping quiet and never complaining. He was calm under pressure, and, after a spine shot first, he made a great follow up shot to ensure the pig stayed down, like he's been shooting his whole life (pretty much). One of my personal favorite parts of this was that he harvested this javelina with loads he put together for his rifle himself! I was so proud of him and he was so excited! This was all possible because of our friend Brittany and her husband, Kevin, who trusted me with a trust I'll never take for granted. Jacob got to find every success we talk about on this hunt, including filling his tag. We got to talk about how blessed we are for many reasons, including a chance encounter with a hunter helping someone else that turned into a good friendship; one that now has her and Jacob ganging up on me and giving me grief (albeit deserved). He got to watch two javelina mill around his after the shot, hearing them vocalize. To top it off, Brittany filmed this hunt for The Mountain Project! As soon as we get an edited version and permission to share it we will. Its safe to say that Jacob is now hooked on hunting and I have another guaranteed life-long hunting buddy. "When can we go again, dad?" "Can Brittany go with us again?" Of course, he knocked out as soon as we hit the interstate to come home.

There is so much more detail I could go into with this story, but I'll leave it be. For now.

The photos of me and him were taken by our friend Brittany. I just wish I could post the videos.

Not quite bright-eyed for 0530 breakfast, but eager to go!
20180126_053428.jpg

Committed to glassing his own pig.
20180126_074942.jpg

Always with the beef jerky in hand!
20180126_092109.jpg

Lining up for the shot.
20180126_104701.jpg

Two javelina milling around after the shot. His is the brown/gray spot laying in front of the brown juniper bush.
20180126_105529.jpg

Trophy pics.
26238.jpeg
26241.jpeg
20180126_111231.jpg

The drive home.
20180126_163447.jpg

Great stuff...as usual. Your kids are lucky to have such a great father! Nice work out there in the great outdoors with the fam!

Top Bottom