Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Jay Gregory's farm for sale

Gotta look at CSR (corn suitability ratings) of the soil. Let's say his farm had 40 CSR soils VS let's say it had 80 CSR- you are talking about a HUGE value difference and would absolutely reflect on price to some degree. I'm going to guess that farm does NOT have high CSR's but I could be wrong. Yes, Decatur ground does sell cheaper than almost anywhere in the state as well (again, goes to soils, etc). Great hunting farm BUT folks need to consider what the soil quality is, rental rates and income/resale potential.

Sligh, you're right but you have to look at the growing recreational value. Recreation, or entertainment, value is something that has been ignored but has grown in recent years. Everyone wants that little piece of heaven for them, and family, where they won't be bothered. Give me marginal csr's on a piece that has all the variables to hold deer/turkey and you have a winner. Folks pay crazy money to be entertained, hunting is no different.

Killing big deer typically outweighs CSR values in my opinion. I know it would for me. I guess if I had the kind of money to buy that farm I wouldn't be looking to make money on it. If I was looking to buy a farm and make a living off it that would be a different story.

Sure- I agree, I know what you are saying. BUT, what I'm saying is if you have an 80 you buy for HUNTING with 35 acres timber and 45 acres of 35 CSR soil VS 35 acres timber and 45 acres of 80 CSR soil, there absolutely is going to be a price difference if all else were equal- rightfully so. Arguably, just based on soils, the 80 CSR soil will grow bigger deer. You'll get 1.5 to 2 times as much for cash rent, if you sold the tillable off you'd likely get 2 times as much on a sales price as well. CRP would be probably 50 to 100% higher paying, as well as WRP, etc, etc.
Yep, the value of big deer and rec aspect is huge, we're totally on the same page. There's also more to the picture though and EVERY SINGLE GUY I've ever met looking for Rec ground considers income, tree quality, soil quality, cash rent, resale, etc.

Killing big deer typically outweighs CSR values in my opinion. I know it would for me. I guess if I had the kind of money to buy that farm I wouldn't be looking to make money on it. If I was looking to buy a farm and make a living off it that would be a different story.

I agree, and I'd rather have a good whitetail property and a marginal csr to make a living off of too :D

CSR doesn't mean crap to a non-resident with deep pockets. Ole governor mustache allows them (NR landowner) to hunt their property every year, and most chunks of land will be sold without thought as long as they hold deer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure Jay's ground has deer:drink1:

BTW - crappy soils in the southern tiers will never sell for the same price as the good farm land in other parts of the state, but I highly doubt it ever sells for less, too. It wasn't too many years ago that the land around albia was selling for $500 an acre...and what's it going for now? (because of one buck)

BTW - crappy soils in the southern tiers will never sell for the same price as the good farm land in other parts of the state said:
In 2003 I had a chance to buy 80 acres in Albia right next door to the Luvestun buck. I couldn't afford it at the time:mad: The price was 685/acre. Same place just sold again for 2550/acre. The lottery or marry a farmers daughter are my only hope.

Heck, properties around the state (or in any state) have gone up a lot. There was junk ground going for $150/acre many years ago. That junk ground could fetch $2500 at its best right now. You take that junk ground and add 1/2 being high CSR tillable and you could probably get $3,500/acre. If you're around folks selling ground, income from it is a big component. Of course if you're after big deer you want timber and junk on your place AND you are NOT going to buy a 300 acre flat, all tillable farm in Northern IA if you're after big deer. Folks buying ground have to take into account and ALWAYS take into account: timber quality/income, rental prices on tillable, soil quality, big buck history/proof/potential, hunting pressure, CRP income, cost share $, neighborhood of management, etc. Those all go into a guy's analysis and that's why some hunting ground in IA goes for $1,400 and some goes for $3,800. Heck, it was pretty much the norm in NE IA for hunting land to be in the high-3k until things slowed down with economy. With economy slowing, rec ground has gone down a bit while tillable ground has kept sky-rocketing up- it's because 2 totally different forces are driving prices: Economy for rec ground VS grain prices for tillable.

. Heck, it was pretty much the norm in NE IA for hunting land to be in the high-3k until things slowed down with economy. With economy slowing, rec ground has gone down a bit while tillable ground has kept sky-rocketing up- it's because 2 totally different forces are driving prices: Economy for rec ground VS grain prices for tillable.
If you check Whitetail Properties; it's still selling for $3500 to $4500 per acre.

Iowa farms

Land is a good investment, however, if crop prices drop and interest rates go up, that will retract prices. The way our government is spending, hard assets like real estate (income producing) and rec ground will probably still hold their value.

$13,000 an acre...? That is a bit out of line.

$13,000 an acre...? That is a bit out of line.

Get 2 older guys paying cash that want the NEIGHBORING farm and that's the crazy stuff that happens.

Ya, NE IA you'll still see stuff in 4's, crazy, SE and SC are better hunting too (Ok, imo) :)

You think that's bad, a school trust in my neck of the woods bought 4 farms up around me here in Pa. a year & a half ago for $60,000.00 an acre! Some of my neighbors are now millionaires. The claimed they needed it for a buffer zone for the school homes? They really inflated the prices & are being investigated by the state attorney general.

Top Bottom