Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

KID'S first shotgun

koba

My son will be able to join me this year on his first shotgun hunt. Problem is Turkey's start this Spring and a 4-10 is a little small for a turkey right? Even if we made or bought special loads right? We are looking at a Remington Model 870 Express Jr. with a 18.5 inch barrel, 20 G. that is a little short for birds right? Any idea's. anyone got a gun that their kid has out grown? P.M. me if you do!!

koba,
I would use the 20 if you can. I know that in Iowa you can't use a .410. As long as the 20 patterns well you should have no problem with a magnum load at 25 or 30 yards. Good Luck I am looking forward to when my son can carry a gun or bow of his own.
waytogo.gif

Yeah you would be suprised what the right choke and right loafs will do in a 20 gauge. Love the 870. the 18 inch barrel is a little short for pheasant, but it'll work. a 20 is an ok comprimise for both. I think 24 would be better but in a youth 24 in a little bit long
grin.gif

I would personaly try tha standard 870 20ga. Kids grow out of the youth models way too fast. If you have to you can cut the stock down a bit so it fits better, and replace it when they are older. A stock is fairly cheap to buy. Turkey hunting they can rest the gun on their knee or use a bipod so the longer barrel wouldn't be a problem. I always grew up with regular sized guns and just adapted to them. That's my 2 cents I guess.

can't go wrong with the 870... that was my first gun (870 wingmaster 12 guage) That sucker about put me on my can when I shot it my first time!! Loved it ever since!

[ QUOTE ]
can't go wrong with the 870...

[/ QUOTE ]

Got my son one when he was 12 and he has killed a 1/2 dozen deer and a nice tom with it since then.

Sweet gun!
cool.gif

I bought him the standard length rather then a youth model...glad I did because now at 15 he's already taller then I
smirk.gif

THANKS!! Just makes me think maybe i should shorten the stock on the Mossberg and get a shorter barrel!!! Saving money for his Bow purchase!!!

I think you could probably buy a used or even new 870 youth 20ga for what a new barrel and stock would cost you. I picked up one last fall for a buddies son and I think it was $229 for a brand new one, synthetic stock to boot.
Might try a want ad? Gotta be others who have already outgrown them.

hit a local gun show. you can get a cheap stock (won't necessasarily match) and cut it down, then switch to the original stock as he gets older

Top Bottom