Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

King Gets Double Lunged

brownhunter

As you all know, temperatures in the 70s along with high winds had nearly cut off all daytime deer movement during what we typically call 'primetime.' Typically, I try to hunt all day during the 5th-12th, but the deer just weren't moving much.

On November 12th the weather finally broke. The temperature dropped to the mid 40s and that combined with overcast skies and drizzling rain had me excited to sit in my double bull blind over a standing bean foodplot on a farm where I knew some great bucks called home. Sureshot1 and I actually hunt this farm together, and he had seen a wide 10pt, who we call 'King', in the bean plot earlier that week.

King July 5th
MDGC0049.jpg

King July 25th
CDY_0025-1.jpg

I hadn't been in the blind long when does began to filter into the field. It wasn't long before I had 7 does in the plot, three of which were standing at less than 5 yards. As the sun began to drop over the horizon, more deer entered the field, including a few small bucks who started chasing does all over the field.

Suddenly, I caught movement directly in front of my blind at 100yards in the CRP and quickly realized that 'King' was entering the plot. King began to chase does around the field. I watched him for around 10 minutes when 2 does came out of a draw to my right. These does caught King's attention, and he was headed my way. He was walking in a direction that would put him directly in front of my window, when suddenly he cut to to the right. I slowly opened the right window and ranged King at 21yds, perfectly broadside. I took a deep breath and drew my bow. As I was drawing, I must've made some noise and the King looked directly into the blind. I kept my composure as he stared in my direction, settled my pin, and released.

I watched as my arrow sailed through both lungs and the King took off running, but didn't make it out of the field. This was my first buck that I had ever taken off the ground, and it was a rush to say the least.

King has 11 scoreable points and grossed 152 7/8.

DSC_0168.jpg

Congrats on a fantastic buck and great work on the harvest photo, it really looks great!:way:

The curse is over! :way: Congrats Geoff on a great buck. He'll look good on the wall. And i'm still waiting for payment for helping drag him out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom