Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Kohlrabi ??

LarryM

I've been trying for 5 years, but have had little luck enticing deer with brassicas/turnips (been leaving plenty for me anyway...).
I was wondering if planting some kohlrabi with the brassicas might start to educate them about the bulbs since they grow above ground. Any thoughts?

We've tried for 3 years on 3 different farms around Ottumwa, Marysville, and New Sharon with brassicas and turnips and I for one will never plant another one again. They eat a few but for the most part could care less.

Winter wheat and winter oats work great. I planted turnips with it and they could care less. They ate the wheats and oats to the dirt. It held deer well until they ate it all

What else is around the area for food?

I had put turnips in for three years and the deer never touched them.
They would eat them at my neighbors farm before Thanksgiving. (Only a mile away) :mad:
It made it especially aggravating because I had to rake up the dead leaves just to get soil to soil contact for my frost seeding.

I then put my cereal grains on one side and the turnips with radishes on the other. They have now been hitting them pretty hard every year when it gets cold. If you are in a area that has other feed, does not get cold or a lot of snow they may shy away from them though.
I think they need to acquire the taste IMO and as soon as they do they will not forget where to go for them. Very frustrating I know.

I have never heard of kohlrabi but if you try them next year please let us know how they work out. :way:

I planted rape and peas and radish. It took so long to germinate I had no radish underneath, but the deer loved the tops,,which also never got very big, because of late germination. I have planted rye and winter wheat, and my deer seem to like the winter wheat best. I will have to plant the brassica , even the rye or wheat earlier next summer to get some good growth on it before freeze.

If your deer don't eat the kohlrabi call me and I'll eat it. I don't know where you would get seed cheap enough for food plots.

Having a good mix of brasica,early draw, some late, seems to keep them in my plots when there is enough rain for them to grow. go to wetler seed or another on line source to get a mix put together for the full season draw. The characteristic for each are available and should make it easy to improve your success. I also have a lot of clover, chickory, burnet mix near all my brasica rotations. I only mention these thing because it sure seems to work for me.

What is kohlrabi & what's the scoop on it?? I haven't heard of it nor know what it's all about & deer preference/benefits, etc??

If folks r not having luck with "brassicas".... Couple double checking things.... R u planting specifically purple top turnips & ground hog/tillage/daikon radishes (all r the same)????? I have only had this problem when I planted "buck on a bag" brassicas many yrs ago. If I plant purp top turns & radishes - night & day difference. Last- r u planting them around the aug 1 timeframe??? Not spring time or september or something like that right???

To "entice" them- I'd mix radishes in dbltree's fall rye mix.... Rye, peas, clover, etc. I'd also do some areas either following yr or maybe same of radishes & ppt turnips together. Make sure fertilizing right & not getting a bunch of weeds that u don't take care of.

Top Bottom