Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Landmark day

Fishbonker

Life Member
Only once in a hundred years or so can you say a day is indeed a landmark day. Today is one of those days. Today is the first day of a new era. A day that marks the beginning of the end to the Cubs drought in the World Series. Pitchers and catches reported today.

Can spring be far behind?

Trust me, I'll be more than providing information on this topic, in fact, I'll be stirring the Cubbies pot all summer.

Cubs added some very nice pieces over the offseason. Have to be the early favorite for the crown don't they? Should be another fun season of MLB. So glad we have college basketball right up until opening day to pass the time! My Braves will be terrible but baseball is still awesome. Let's play ball!

I'll be stirring that pot as well and also posting many pics from the bleacher seats this year :)

Bonker--change over to Twins fan??

Can you say Harmon Kilibrew? Kirby Pucket? That guy who pitched 9 innings in the World Series? I am a closet Twins fan. The Cedar Rapids class A Kernals are a Twins affiliate.

One of my favorite baseball memories is camping at Spruce Creek Park near Belleview and listening to that World Series game on a transistor radio.

One of my favorite baseball memories is camping at Spruce Creek Park near Belleview and listening to that World Series game on a transistor radio.

I wonder how many of us old timers can recall listening to a sporting event on a transistor radio? In particular, I remember listening to Iowa Hawkeye basketball in the 70's, with Bob Brooks behind the mic. I loved it...my biggest problem was scaring up the money to buy new 9 volt batteries just about every day, since I often fell asleep with the radio still playing...only to find a dead battery in the AM. :D

• Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Show…
When you go to Wrigley, how do you get to the field?? Taxi, train?? I have only taken bus trips so far... they drop you off and pick up on Waveland so no worries about anything.... they just take so long and your at the mercy of the itinerary...thinking about other options for different/better games.

When you go to Wrigley, how do you get to the field?? Taxi, train?? I have only taken bus trips so far... they drop you off and pick up on Waveland so no worries about anything.... they just take so long and your at the mercy of the itinerary...thinking about other options for different/better games.

I am totally unqualified to answer this question, but some say that's never stopped me.

I haven't made the Pilgrimage to the Mecca of baseball that Wrigley Field is in many many years, maybe 20. But the last time I did we stayed in a hotel down by Navy Pier and took the El (train). Went early and stayed late for daytime baseball. No hassles. But like I said, that was 20 or so years ago.

I'll be stirring that pot as well and also posting many pics from the bleacher seats this year :)

Looking forward to it. I've never been a "bleacher bum". My wife sat out there once before we met. She says she'll never do it again, therefore I will probably never experience it.

I did sit in the St. Louis version of "bleachers" in the old Busch Stadium. The Cubs fans were rowdy the Cards fans pretty much sat on their hands.

• Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Show…
There's little doubt we will be a playoff team, it's just a matter of how they play once there. Hopefully the experience the young guys gained last year will pay off!

I've always parked at the furthest west train station and bought a one day pass for train/bus, then use a combination to get to Wrigley and wherever else you want to go

We usually stay at Schaumburg and take the Cubs bus which pickup is across the street from the hotel. They give you a little time either side of the game. We did drive once last year and bought a parking spot through parkwhiz on the net. We had to get there early to get in line for the all important Kris Bryant bobblehead.:D

We are going to San Diego and Pittsburgh on May 11th and 13th and again August 13th vs St Louis. I will be the one with a beer in my hand.

This what we do also. Ride the Wrigley Shuttle. Drops you off right at the ballpark and picks you up there. $8.00 a person roundtrip.
After doing this I will never try to drive or find a place to park in Wrigleyville.

Interesting trades/signings by the Cubs this week. Good to see Fowler back. I hope with the one and done contract that he will stay hungry. Victorino, I used to hate that guy. He was a Cub killer, but then who wasn't? Hopefully a bargain at a mil and his experience will be good for the clubhouse. Trading Coughlin for a pitcher I didn't like at first but he was expendable and the Cubs put a pitcher (Rosscup?) on the 60 day DL.

I really think the moves give them even more depth but kinda top heavy on outfielders but it's a long season.

Just think, this fall you have a chance to kill a once in a lifetime buck and then watch the Cubs win a World Series, also probably once in a life time, on the same day.

Top Bottom