Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Last Day and Hour Bird!

ShedHunter1

3rd season has been hard on our farm so I pulled off and went to a different farm. Never seen this before but all the mature birds left. I can here them a mile away in other timbers. There is about 8 jakes running around going girl crazy!:grin:
I ended up going to a different farm yesterday afternoon and sat close to some roosting trees. I haven't hunted this farm in 3 yrs. so I didn't know what to expect.
I got in there sat about 100 yds infront of the roost trees and waited. No calls and only 3 shells. Forgot them at home.
About an hr sitting there I hear a gobble coming from the bean field and there he was about 300 yds away with 3 hens. For about 3 1/2 hrs I sat there and watched them. They actually come in the timber and at one time were about 80 yds away and they went over the hill.
I got up and sneaked 50 yds closer until i was within shooting distance of a hen, that didn't bust me. The hens left and also the tom. I sat there for another hr. and all of a sudden I hear a gobble out in the bean field I was ready I figured he was on his way back. For another half hr. Nothin.
I stood up and leaned against a tree to get a better scan of the timber all of a sudden there he was making a v-line right to me. I let him take a long nap at 25yds. Havent shot a tom this heavy for a while.
24pds.
10 3/4 inch beard
1 1/8 and 1 1/4 spurs.
It was worth the wait and well worth the mile walk back to the truck!

100_0714_zpsb234a77d.jpg

Congrats on a nice bird. Probably your jakes ran the toms off. Happened here for now.

Top Bottom