Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Muzz and moon phases...

DannyBoy

Not sure what you guys think but I truly believe that the moon phases really dictate mature buck movement during the late season, maybe even moreso than temperature and especially if there is a blanket of snow. Full moon is scheduled for the 21st (second day) with the new moon on Jan. 4th. Hopefully we get some good, cold days in the 20's or teens to set the stage for a dynamite last 10 days or so. That's what I'm banking on with some PTO, anyways! Maybe it's wishful thinking but I'm pumped!

I checked cams on a non hunted farm today and have had some good bucks feeding right at last light....last 3 days morning and evening. I'm hoping they will allow me to get a late season arrow in one of them. If not, maybe the ML will bark!!!

So if moon phases dictate more than temperature but especially with snow, does temperature dictate snow but especially with right moon phases? Or does snow dictate temperature but especially when moon phase is right?

Danny, moon phases are for the astronomers. Go hunt.

I'm just messing with you. You're prolly right, hopefully you are, but I just go when I can!

I just think you may be looking into it too far, I mean, if you read your horoscope the right way, it could get you pumped too! ;)

Timmay, I've just grown tired of seeing 2.5 and 3.5ers during shooting hours just to bust out the spotlight and see shooter bucks after dark on the same properties. When was the last time you actually SAT with a muzz anyways? lol

I'm just tryin to put the puzzle pieces together before I take a bunch of time off work. I'm not okay with blowing PTO just to see does n dinks :)

And my horoscope says that luck will find me if I wait for the right moment!

There is no way that moon phase dictates movement more than temperature in late season. Not on pressured deer anyway.
Below zero temps with a good blanket of snow is the only sure way I've found to put a pressured, mature buck on his feet during daylight in late season.

I predict January 11th will be the best day of the year. Seems like I always see the biggest ones out and about after the season closes. :)

I predict January 11th will be the best day of the year. Seems like I always see the biggest ones out and about after the season closes. :)

How true is that,couldnt have said it any better then that! Shed hunting tells the story.

DannyBoy, I hope your theory is right. I still have my bow tag to fill (as well as 2 doe bow tags.....shouldn't have bought those obviously lol), but I plan on hunting late muzzy also as of right now. First order of business, somehow stealthily getting my dad's muzzleloader from him or buying a cheap one with Christmas money.

There is no way that moon phase dictates movement more than temperature in late season. Not on pressured deer anyway.
Below zero temps with a good blanket of snow is the only sure way I've found to put a pressured, mature buck on his feet during daylight in late season.

You're absolutely right, the amount of pressure the place has seen is a big factor as well. The 3 places I'll be zoning in on have light to moderate pressure during the gun seasons but none by party hunting, thankfully. It makes a difference.

I think as far as below zero temps there is a certain point where it's not worth them getting out of their beds to feed. Seemed to be the case for me most of last years muzz season with temps anywhere from -5 to -15. I saw very few deer on their feet, period.

Strange, last year was one of the best I had ever seen. 15 below for days and the deer on their feet hard the last hour and a half of light. Most likely situational by varying areas though.

The ONLY two things that get post pressure deer on their feet during the shooting hours are SNOW and COLD late season, unless you drive them. Last year was the first year I have seen the deer moving late season for quite a few years because the temps have not been low enough. Deer HAVE to move to eat when temps are low to be able to retain their body heat like a fire, no food no energy like a wood stove. Once they eat they turn the damper down to conserve that energy by laying up all day until they have to load up the fire again. This is why they are bedded so close to the food sources in the cold weather, they can't afford to waste any energy. If you can find a south or southwest facing cover next to a good food source that's the spot to stake out. I have seen deer for a couple square miles come to spots like that if unpressured.

If you can find a south or southwest facing cover next to a good food source that's the spot to stake out. I have seen deer for a couple square miles come to spots like that if unpressured.

That's the only places I found them last year and I could watch them all the way until dark, laying in their beds lifting their heads every so often and snagging a piece of spruce branch. I think with the extreme amount of snow where I was hunting it just wasn't worth getting up. I'm hoping that's not the case this year!

Cold will definately get them on their feet. It's just up to them when to come out. It's crazy the amount of late night feeding activity I've seen over the years with a big moon on a clear night, especially with snow on the ground! That's why I'm glad that most of late muzz we'll be hunting in the quarters and new moon phases. Can't hurt! Definately want it to be cold tho!

Last year was the best late muzzy action I have ever hunted. The deer simply had to get up and eat, it was either that or freeze to death. I would love to see another replay of last years weather, followed by milder weather after season again to prevent a lot of winter kill.

That's the only places I found them last year and I could watch them all the way until dark, laying in their beds lifting their heads every so often and snagging a piece of spruce branch.
What you couldn't shoot them in the head from 200 or 300 yards with the muzzleloader? :D JK I know the deer went right into their winter pattern 2 weeks ago like last year so if things hold out it should be good late season. :way: I don't think I will wait until the last minute of the last day to kill a buck this year, it was brutal out there even with a blind and a heater in it. :D

What you couldn't shoot them in the head from 200 or 300 yards with the muzzleloader? :D JK I know the deer went right into their winter pattern 2 weeks ago like last year so if things hold out it should be good late season. :way: I don't think I will wait until the last minute of the last day to kill a buck this year, it was brutal out there even with a blind and a heater in it. :D

Ha, it was more like 100 yards but no big bucks and when you have a ravine between you and them that might have 6+ feet of snow in the bottom of it... not worth the work for a slickhead!

I agree, they were grouped up and on a feeding pattern on my last bowhunt, which would have been Wednesday last week. I hunted the back corner of a small hayfield that has picked corn and beans within 100 yards and saw a couple decent bucks and plenty of does.

When you say cold temps how cold are we talking to
get the big boys up and moving?

I know the colder the better and the amount of pressure but
are we looking at below zero temps?

Just curious.

Risto, I don't personally think it has to be below zero. Admittedly, I've only been playing the late muzz game for about 5 years now but it seems like days with highs in the teens seem to be the breaking point. Just my experience.

Is 2nd Shotgun better than Late Muzzleloader Season?

Would you guys rather hunt 2nd shotgun season or Late Muzzleloader?

A guy that shoots alot of big deer says that 2nd shotgun is better because it is right after the rut and the bucks metabolisms NEED food more than Late Muzzleloader when their metabolisms are already adjusted for the colder weather.

What you think?

Would you guys rather hunt 2nd shotgun season or Late Muzzleloader?

A guy that shoots alot of big deer says that 2nd shotgun is better because it is right after the rut and the bucks metabolisms NEED food more than Late Muzzleloader when their metabolisms are already adjusted for the colder weather.

What you think?

Hmmm sounds like a theory that may have some truth behind it. That makes sense to me.

On a side note, my dad is going to let me use his muzzleloader so I can hold off on buying one for right now. :)

Does anyone know if you can take your muzzleloader and bow with you hunting if you have a tag for both still? I'll have to check the regulations of course also.

Does anyone know if you can take your muzzleloader and bow with you hunting if you have a tag for both still? I'll have to check the regulations of course also.

As long as you have a tag for that respective season (and the season is open of course) you can take both a muzzleloader and bow with you.

Top Bottom