Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late November Bow Buck- fun hunt!!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to shoot 1 or maybe 2 bucks. That’s it or I’d gladly watch the rest & eat tags. I passed up some dandies & this limited where I could successfully hunt. I hunted this buck twice out of a lower tree stand in small shingle oak with lots of limbs. Not good stand options where he lived. Had him close but couldn’t make clean shots….
Last night I asked my bro “think I could pull a bow back In that junky old small gun blind?!?” He said “no way”. I said “I’m gonna try anyways”.
He came out maybe 90 mins before dark. Bumping does and walking every buck out of the area. I videod him as he walked in. Huge body. Walked off a 4-5 year old like nothing. All my job was: somehow get this bow drawn IF he gets close enough. & get an arrow out of these tiny windows. Took an hour of him getting close & then to far- repeat. Finally he followed doe that went to 25. I was at full draw by miracle in this little blind with little windows. He walked the other way. I was holding for about a minute. Debated on letting down but then he went broadside at 40 yards. I usually wouldn’t take it but he was not alerted and I was rock solid steady. Rocked him through vitals and a bloodbath of trail- being so big and tough he still got about 250 yards.
Super fun hunt!!!!!! Took so long to get him in for the shot. Back & fourth. & the multiple hunts for him in this small core area he had. Why we do this- just a blast!
He’s either 7.5 or 6.5. I think 7.5 but it depends on when I thought he was 3.5 - if I was right or not. He’s been around for a long time. Huge body. Mean as they come! Gonna make room for some others. Very heavy & unique bases. Don’t care about score - especially on this one- just because it was so fun, he’s plenty old & unique rack. Somewhere around mid 170’s but whatever. He did have like 17 scoreable points that made him go from “basic narrow 10” to “pretty cool & unique”. Anyways - a lot of fun that’s the rare moment we get in our favor once in a while. I wish the rest of you a great & enjoyable season!

2C33AAB2-F9CC-46FE-B460-C0038712AAC3.jpeg
D830F63B-FFF3-468E-94CC-1338CB8D9A19.jpeg
FED0D16F-0E3B-4038-8FD8-AB830205EDD2.jpeg
F62EDACC-FE65-48E1-865E-695DDCBB6BC4.jpeg
251D9877-EA3D-42EB-98D8-8CEDA7F4BA1F.jpeg
7BE82A50-AEF5-430D-A06E-42F87C6285F4.jpeg

I wanted to shoot 1 or maybe 2 bucks. That’s it or I’d gladly watch the rest & eat tags. I passed up some dandies & this limited where I could successfully hunt. I hunted this buck twice out of a lower tree stand in small shingle oak with lots of limbs. Not good stand options where he lived. Had him close but couldn’t make clean shots….
Last night I asked my bro “think I could pull a bow back In that junky old small gun blind?!?” He said “no way”. I said “I’m gonna try anyways”.
He came out maybe 90 mins before dark. Bumping does and walking every buck out of the area. I videod him as he walked in. Huge body. Walked off a 4-5 year old like nothing. All my job was: somehow get this bow drawn IF he gets close enough. & get an arrow out of these tiny windows. Took an hour of him getting close & then to far- repeat. Finally he followed doe that went to 25. I was at full draw by miracle in this little blind with little windows. He walked the other way. I was holding for about a minute. Debated on letting down but then he went broadside at 40 yards. I usually wouldn’t take it but he was not alerted and I was rock solid steady. Rocked him through vitals and a bloodbath of trail- being so big and tough he still got about 250 yards.
Super fun hunt!!!!!! Took so long to get him in for the shot. Back & fourth. & the multiple hunts for him in this small core area he had. Why we do this- just a blast!
He’s either 7.5 or 6.5. I think 7.5 but it depends on when I thought he was 3.5 - if I was right or not. He’s been around for a long time. Huge body. Mean as they come! Gonna make room for some others. Very heavy & unique bases. Don’t care about score - especially on this one- just because it was so fun, he’s plenty old & unique rack. Somewhere around mid 170’s but whatever. He did have like 17 scoreable points that made him go from “basic narrow 10” to “pretty cool & unique”. Anyways - a lot of fun that’s the rare moment we get in our favor once in a while. I wish the rest of you a great & enjoyable season!

View attachment 123651
View attachment 123647
View attachment 123648
View attachment 123649
View attachment 123650
View attachment 123652
Congratulations
Love all the details.
All this just adds to the memory's of the hunt, makes each animal special.

Congrats!!! What a horse. I'd bet good money he grosses in the 180's, at least. 179-7/8" if he's still in the 170's.

As I read the story I was expecting a 120 inch bully to appear as I scrolled down. Instead I see a buck most hunters only dream of, congrats!

Lol reading that story is envisioning a tank of a buck with a stubby/massy 120 rack!!

Congrats on a great deer! would like to see a photo of the tiny blind that was tough to get drawn back in

Top Bottom