Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late season hunting & movement updates...

LoneWolf

Hope the season is going great! Here’s what I’ve seen - Gun 1 was warm & mediocre movement. Gun 2 has been fantastic this cold has them really on grains. Greens have been solid as well if no grains. I’ve got my late ML tag & hoping the cold & snow continue. Few deer dropping horns which is odd but I guess certain years do see this.

please chime in on movement, updates & mature buck movement. Good luck to you all!!

Our 2nd season shotgun group had several bucks that dropped one or more antler after the deer hit the ground and then found a set of sheds while hunting too. Seemed like a lot of them dropping this early . . . . Anybody else see more dropping?

Lots shed. (like 5%) No good reason. Stumped. But yes- seeing that.
Movement excellent!!!! Take grain over green right now. No food- that’s clearly a longer discussion & way more complex & hunt natural trails & movement.
but yes, last few days been excellent for mature deer & if temps stay steady.... gonna continue to be great!!!
Any temp drop plus rising barometer over 30 be great!!!

Can't be sure, but a neighbor sends me Cuddelink pics to my email from his place. There was a deer on cam today that sure looked like a buck, body-wise, but it had no rack. Shed buck already?? It looked like it.

Who has ice and snow? Little snow & ice southern part of state. NW iowa had more snow for sure and Des Moines got pounded. Tomorrow should be excellent!!!

I haven't seen a thing the last 2 nights. Hunted an acre of standing corn and half acre of clover plot in a big picked corn field with rye planted in it last night and still nothing. Cams have been dead too. Try a new spot tonight I guess.

Who has ice and snow? Little snow & ice southern part of state. NW iowa had more snow for sure and Des Moines got pounded. Tomorrow should be excellent!!!
Conditions for the critters in central eastern IA are absolute horrific. Ice, lots of it, on top of snow, lots of that too. The feeding conditions has to be difficult. Getting around has to be difficult. I had a decent hunt on the 31st seeing and passing several deer but that was before the second round of freezing rain adding additional extreme difficulty for the wildlife. I am tempted to pass on filling my late ML tag. It's probably even worse for pheasants and other critters like them than it is for the deer, which can get by by browsing on woody forage.

Grains trumped greens with snow & ice. Obvious. Tried both. No contest.
I did hunt a night when barometric pressure went down.... SLOWER!!!!! Deer scratched away in crp & natural browse. Day after - Pressure went back up and temp ticked down- like predicted - much better!!!!!

just watch the forecast- no app needed. Weather underground for example.... lil dip in temps with rising pressure- game on.

I did watch pheasants eat in ice. quail, turkeys & deer as well. Corn & beans were no issue for any and deer/turkeys had busted up the ice & birds joined in. Kinda a neat system. Ice ain’t good but optimistic if it don’t stay for long.

Surprisingly good tonight!!!!!!! I did go to lil honey hole but didn’t expect to see much. Pleasantly surprised. Only Downside is I’m a horrible worthless clueless hunter. But I did see a lot.

Still picking nights on temp drops of any kind from one day to next and rise in bar pressure.

Seeing tons of pheasants trying to get thru the snow/ice. Most I’ve seen in a long time. Also most crp I’ve seen in a while

Top Bottom