Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lawn fertilizer??

Daver

PMA Member
I have an opportunity here at the home front...I had cleared a small section of overgrown pasture ground near my house and had brought my tractor and tiller back from the farm this summer to work the ground and re-level it, etc. Well...I'll be if it doesn't look like a well tilled food plot...only there is no food planted in it....for now. :)

We occasionally have deer that move through our neighborhood and lately I have been seeing a small buck and a doe and two fawns multiple times per week...including standing in the bare dirt plot. So I thought I might as well go ahead and plant some brassicas for the local "herd". The area is so small that I don't want to use a full bag of urea prior to planting. Can I just get something at the local Menard's? Something tells me that "weed and feed" may suppress brassica germination, but I am not sure about that. What can I get in small quantities that will give me some N for these brassicas that I am going to plant? TIA.

I have an opportunity here at the home front...I had cleared a small section of overgrown pasture ground near my house and had brought my tractor and tiller back from the farm this summer to work the ground and re-level it, etc. Well...I'll be if it doesn't look like a well tilled food plot...only there is no food planted in it....for now. :)

We occasionally have deer that move through our neighborhood and lately I have been seeing a small buck and a doe and two fawns multiple times per week...including standing in the bare dirt plot. So I thought I might as well go ahead and plant some brassicas for the local "herd". The area is so small that I don't want to use a full bag of urea prior to planting. Can I just get something at the local Menard's? Something tells me that "weed and feed" may suppress brassica germination, but I am not sure about that. What can I get in small quantities that will give me some N for these brassicas that I am going to plant? TIA.
Weed and feed will have 2,4-d in it. 7-10 day residual. Dump a bag of 12-12-12. Menards had it.

We use Walmarts 10-10-10 40 pound bags of fertilizer on all of our food plots and have had great success. It is usually about $12 a bag during the spring and early summer. This time of year they usually close it out for about $5 a bag. We buy all of our bags this time of year for next year and store in our barn. We use Menards pelletized lime on our plots as well. We don't test our soil and only use generic 41% gly that we get at Theisen's or TSC to kill off our spots the first of July- 2 1/2 gallons for $40. Last year we had turnups bigger than soft balls that the deer dug up through February. Some people on here make plots sound like rocket science- doesn't have to be that hard.

Nothing with “weed” in title! It’s actually an amine 2,4-d in that…. Which that type stays active in the soil for much longer.
but ya- any local place is fine- it’s just super weak formulation & over priced but on a small scale- no biggy.

Top Bottom