Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Learn anything new in 2020?

Wapsi Tree Rat

Any new revelations in 2020? I'm nudging towards the 50 mark, but apparently old dogs CAN learn new tricks. :)
Some things I already knew, but were burned in my memory for life this past year. Here are my highlights.

1. Ground blinds are tons of fun! I've always turned my nose up at ground hunting, because that's what I did when I was a broke kid without extra money for a stand. The August 10 derecho changed some travel routes and created a perfect funnel, tons of deer but no tree. In early Oct I sloppily drug some dead branches to the funnel and sat behind them. I had no confidence in this. However, nearly every sit I could have punched a deer in the face! Saw plenty of big bucks but never had an opportunity inside 40. Not disappointed though. Super fun and did take a couple does for the freezer.

buck.jpg

2. Venison is delicious at 138 degrees! It is dog food much past 145! I never put 2+2 together until this year. Venison is SO dark red when it's uncooked. That means a medium rare steak will still look quite rare. I've always been a bit hesitant to eat venison that red, but you just can't compare a finished color of cooked venison to the color of cooked beef. It's not the same! Trust that thermometer because the window for perfection is tiny. Also, the grill to the kitchen counter is another 5 degrees. NEVER pull that meat at target temp, it is still cooking 10 minutes later if you haven't cut into it. I can't tell you how many times I've overcooked, but don't want to waste so I chew on it till I can't. No more of that!

I did this last week and it was amazing. Seriously, If prime rib beef is a 10, this was all of 9.8.

back strap.jpg

3. The 3rd one is prolly the most important lesson I learned in 2020. Never, ever, and I mean NEVER, trust your favorite outdoor website to a guy named Skip.
I woke up one morning and it was just gone! True story! :D:D:D

You want to take your venison cooking to a new level get the cookbook "Buck Buck Moose" by Hank Shaw.

I never knew deer shanks were not only edible, but probably my favorite cut of meat off the deer. When my picky wife says "you could sell this s***" I knew something had changed for the best.

Personally I think your picture shows medium cooked straps. Give yourself time and get down to medallions sliced thin and seared 30 sec a side. Eat em right off the grill... forget sides.

I'm impressed you got a picture of him that close from the ground. It seems like any time I set up on the ground I end up in a close up staring contest with a cranky old doe.

Very cool!!!!!
& great topic!!!

Off top of head.....
I killed 1st bow buck out of Blind - no other option. Old dogs can learn new tricks. I’m a stubborn treestand loving fool & probably always will be. But can change how things are done.

adding more alfalfa on the farm.

For tracking a deer, should would be nice to have Infrared device. Few buddies did that with success.

my biggest New one of major importance... after 3 years of sitting with me- my son & my nephew (same age) each got their first deer. Doe then a buck for my son & buck for nephew. My 3 take aways: I’m glad and proud they like it!!! 2nd, I wanna make sure they involved in the work year round & see tough hunting - want them to see the difficulties.. never be spoiled & be appreciative & greatful the rare times they are successful. Enjoy the times out they are not. 3rd: I am happier seeing other people like next generation or friends shoot deer than myself. This likely comes with age. ;). Great hunting season & great posts above.

Couple things I learned or confirmed from last year. October cold fronts are the ticket for harvesting a mature buck. However this is the 2nd year I’ve missed the rut. Not sure if I like that or not. Lol

2nd thing. You can hunt some of the best farms, with the best food and cover during late season and not kill a deer. Either that or Skip’s farms suck. definitely not the golden ticket to filling your tag every year like some may think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple things I learned or confirmed from last year. October cold fronts are the ticket for harvesting a mature buck. However this is the 2nd year I’ve missed the rut. Not sure if I like that or not. Lol

2nd thing. You can hunt some of the best farms, with the best food and cover during late season and not kill a deer. Either that or Skip’s farms suck. definitely not the golden ticket to filling your tag every year like some may think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol, I've hunted late season for a long time. I agree, there is no golden ticket to late season success. When the stars align it can be awesome, but there are multiple years between the years where the conditions hit just right. If there is anyone with a consistent track record of killing mature bucks in late season, I'd love to pick their brain.

Muddy-
I will admit I've never thought much of shanks except cut out what I can and send it for sausage. I've done some research and apparently this is a HUGE crime. Hank Shaw cookbook is on it's way. Thanks for the tip!

Hillrunner-
Oh yes, I got into a few stare downs with grumpy old does from the ground blind. One very memorable one, she walked up and stuck her nose in the branches. She spun around and only ran 20 yds. Then she proceeded to rear up high as she could and slamming her front hoofs down hard, blowing the whole time. This went on for five minutes while a few of her friends looked on from about 50. I decided I was not going to be disrespected like this on my own land. Let's just say I won the argument and she is pictured above with her new best friends. (Bacon and Cheddar ;))

Skip-
Sorry for the cheap shot about the forum. Too soon? :) Just couldn't resist. I can't imagine the work and sometimes headaches that go into IW. Thanks for all you do. I think I speak for most here when I say we appreciate it!

I was looking through some 2020 pics and came across one other lesson learned in 2020.

2020 lesson learned #4.....
If you just painted the front door, you gotta lock up the pooch for a bit when you are done!

white charlie.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom