Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Let’s Eat! (The Ishi legacy thread)

How the heck do you fit a front shoulder in the crockpot? Maybe I need a bigger one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How the heck do you fit a front shoulder in the crockpot? Maybe I need a bigger one

Great question. Not a crock pot. It was just one of those cheap ($17 at Walmart) roaster pans. Conventional oven at 200 for 9 1/2 hrs. It was also a shoulder from a 2 year old doe. I don't shoot those freakishly large deer like you do so I also don't need a Ramsey kitchen to cook them!

I have seen guys do a crock pot though, just knife cut the meat and hack saw the bone for smaller pieces.. This is actually ideal because it lets the bone marrow out and flavors the meat. I did cut one end of mine, but not much, just enough to open the bone.

Last edited:
Deer Ribs...........delicious............Put them in a presurer cooker for 30 minutes with 15 pounds of pressure. Pull them out and let them cool. They are fully cooked at this point so season them to your taste and put on the grill. Maybe add some pelts to get some good smoke flavor. Add your favorite barbecue once warmed up pull them off and enjoy.
20230119_175534.jpg

Deer Ribs...........delicious............Put them in a presurer cooker for 30 minutes with 15 pounds of pressure. Pull them out and let them cool. They are fully cooked at this point so season them to your taste and put on the grill. Maybe add some pelts to get some good smoke flavor. Add your favorite barbecue once warmed up pull them off and enjoy.
View attachment 124303

OK, that looks ridiculous!! I would like to see more pics next time you do that, How you actually cut them, how much trimming and I want to see the inside of that meat! You got any more pics?

OK, that looks ridiculous!! I would like to see more pics next time you do that, How you actually cut them, how much trimming and I want to see the inside of that meat! You got any more pics?
Not sure if "that looks ridiculous" is a complement of beat down.. :oops:
:p :p :p

Obviously when you skin a deer there is a layer of fat on the ribs. That easily pulls off like a sheet exposing rib meat. There will be a layer of meat then a thin layer of fat then you have the ribs themselves with meat in between. That is what you keep. The pressure cooker does two things makes the meat very tender and turns the fat into fluid. Not all the fat mind you but makes a difference. When you eat the ribs the meat easily separates from the remaining fat. I use a meat saw to cut them into manageable pieces. Sorry I did not take anymore picures this time. I do remember thinking when the old guy showed me this that he was nuts and no way would it be good......well I was very wrong

Wapsi go to the 13 min mark.

<iframe width="1031" height="576" src="
" title="Cooking Special: Butchering a Whole Deer | S6E06 | MeatEater" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Today is the big day for football fans. I’m only in if for the food so share your food spread. With current updates to this site posting pics have never been easier.
Let’s See What You Have!!!

Wild Turkey bombs. Sliced and pounded flat turkey boob. Roll up cream cheese, diced jalapeños, and Mexican cheese. Then re-wrap with bacon to keep it all I'm. Smoke at 250 for a hour then grill HOT to sear the bacon just barely black

Attachments

• 20230219_180429.jpg
    20230219_180429.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 28
Neighbor wanted me to smoke a whole deer quarter. Turned out amazing. Used a recipe from S. Rinella. Brine for 3 days, inject with brine and smoke at 180 degrees until internal temp reaches 150. Took about 8 hours. Definitely will do this again!!

Attachments

• Deer quarter 1.jpg
    Deer quarter 1.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Deer quarter 2.jpg
    Deer quarter 2.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 28
Reverse seared Hanger Steak! This is a wonderful cut of beef
IMG_6559.jpeg

IMG_6560.jpeg

Beef back ribs
IMG_6583.jpeg
ABT’s (Atomic Buffalo Turds)
IMG_6661.jpeg
Pork Riblets seasoned and smoked for 3 hours then panned up with BBQ sauce, butter, brown sugar and cooked another 2 hours at a higher temp

IMG_6606.jpeg

IMG_6609.jpeg

This restaurant was mentioned several times during Iowa’s best Pork Tenderloin nomination and had to visit. It’s in Jamaica and called ToJo’s bar and grill. It was 95 miles from my place and made from a nice spring Saturday afternoon drive. I predict this place will be in the top 10 in Iowa.
IMG_6571.jpeg

Reverse seared Hanger Steak! This is a wonderful cut of beef
View attachment 125301

View attachment 125302

Beef back ribs
View attachment 125303
ABT’s (Atomic Buffalo Turds)
View attachment 125304
Pork Riblets seasoned and smoked for 3 hours then panned up with BBQ sauce, butter, brown sugar and cooked another 2 hours at a higher temp

View attachment 125305

View attachment 125306

This restaurant was mentioned several times during Iowa’s best Pork Tenderloin nomination and had to visit. It’s in Jamaica and called ToJo’s bar and grill. It was 95 miles from my place and made from a nice spring Saturday afternoon drive. I predict this place will be in the top 10 in Iowa.
View attachment 125307
You didn't get lost in that booming metropolis of Jamacia, did you? One of my more favorite places to go and they do a great breakfast also. Makes for a good scooter ride from my house.

You didn't get lost in that booming metropolis of Jamacia, did you? One of my more favorite places to go and they do a great breakfast also. Makes for a good scooter ride from my house.
It was unique and super good food!

Spare and baby back 6 hours no wrap at 225.

91a3b66b0e92aaafd1832fd2caf6811b.jpg

Top Bottom