Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

LETTER TO LEGISLATURES & CONTACT- MY DRAFT ON 4 BILLS.....

This is more for fun or irony….
Start this video at the 8:45 mark. Do we not know this game or what?!?!? Can we all admit- these clowns are so easy to predict. We need to bring it to ‘em but we all saw this coming long ago. Start at 8:45 & apply to the crap we’ve seen in last 30 days….
8m & 45 seconds….

Moving NR tags to 1000 or more IS making hunting a rich man’s sport. Maybe increase the 30 dollar resident tags a little.

As a resident and LO I would definitely be ok paying another 10-20$ per tag to keep the NR tags down. The price of everything else has gone up so why shouldnt tags? But the price increase would have to be a direct effect of no more NR tags.

Im telling you guys, I came here from Michigan which probably has the best deer habitat in the country or close to it but so poorly ran it was incredible. You may hunt all season without seeing a 2 YEAR OLD!!!! You guys don't want this crap to happen, this state will degrade in a hurry.

Revenue increase goal should include a modest increase in both resident any sex tags and anysex landowner tags. I as a resident landowner, don't get why a resident anysex LOT is such a discount to a standard resident anysex tag. May not move the overall revenue needle much but certainly sends a message to all residents that landowners are willing to contribute to a revenue increase born by ALL resident hunters.

BTW, thx for the template Skipper.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I agree 100%....Id pay full price for the LO tag!!!!!

The price is very high. I personally would hate to see every state increase NR hunting and fishing licenses.

It’s just a deer.. not a bear, not an elk or a moose. States will take notice and may issue reciprocal measures (like tariffs) if one state gets crazy .
If it's just a deer, and the others are on another level for you, why didn't you purchase property out of state to target those animals?

Check out what this guy paid for "just a deer" tag

That guy is an outlier. Statistically moving deer tags to 1k or 2k IS making hunting a rich man’s sport. I’ll add that a tag at that number will recruit wealthier hunters who will continue to try to change the regs to their advantage. Like Skip said, how about we keep the status quo.

In addition the NR demand is being driven by unreasonable expectations through the Iowa video stars who depict a 180 behind every tree. They don’t realize the stars are hunting thousands of controlled acres and rotating farms each year. Most NR hunters won’t see a 150 in a week.

If it's just a deer, and the others are on another level for you, why didn't you purchase property out of state to target those animals?

Check out what this guy paid for "just a deer" tag
Maybe the phrase “ just a deer” is not the best term. However, I think major problems will happen if we assign $1000-2000 price tags on whitetail deer .

I hunt deer in 3 states, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri. I shot the biggest buck on the the cheapest tag (Minnesota).

We should all work together to keep tag prices as low as possible (In my opinion)!!

Keep the common hunter in the ballgame !!!

So reciprocated you would now have to pay over $4500 for that tag ? You want that ?
Why would it go to $4,500? I don't value the elk over the deer. To me, it's not "just a deer". That elk tag example is already twice that of an Iowa deer tag.

And if it NEEDED to go to $4,500 to protect the resource because Arizona NEEDED the money, so be it. Make it whatever number is needed without exploiting the resource.

This is another topic all together, but if there wasn’t so much government waste revenue wouldn’t even be a part of the conversation.

The reason the state government needs revenue…..all the tax cuts. People were thrilled about it, but now we’re just paying more for the same shit to cover the difference.

GUYS!!! I got call. This is working. I think we can stop all this. Long story but they just had a big uptick on guys writing in…. Politicians had quick meeting… Probably a smoke filled room with cocaine & booze & some sanity prevailed. More hopeful right now. I think we gonna get it stopped. Need to stay on this!!!

I’ll be fully transparent …. These kinds of things are gonna continue. Every year. Every year like “the rut” or “shed hunting” we gonna have to spend 20-30 mins writing in. If we do- think we hold the line. If we don’t …. Yikes. Thank goodness for IBA!!!!!

I will say this- lets keep tags the way they are, but actually make people who use the parks and wildlife areas pay too. How about all the bird watchers? All the cross country hikers/bikers/whatever- Shed hunters who come to just find the big antlers?!. I travel to many states where you buy the State Park passes, why isnt Iowa doing this to help put funds back into the state via other revenues versus always attacking one of the most critical things they can- The Iowa Deer hunting. We can all agree, Iowa is special, tags are pry high enough for non residents, honestly wish that system was reworked too, but again, such a critical resource, a knee jerk isnt a great idea. I, as a Landowner, would pay normal tag price for my LOTs, even if that meant all tags went to $50 for residents. I dont "need" the reduced tags, not sure why they are needed. I think the depradation tags need to be reworked, the last time I saw that program it was a mess too. I think there are other areas that can be tweaked versus the stupidness they are trying to introduce.

No one called me, but I have gotten 4 responses back from representatives. 2 were boilerplate auto-replies, the other two were specific, written responses to my letter. One Rep agreed with everything in my letter and stated he was also opposed, the other rep (she/her) …it said so in her signature, said she appreciated the letter, was aware of the measures and was paying “close attention”.

If you haven’t sent letters yet, you should.

Ok. I’ll ask. Who called and what was the content of the conversation? Crossbows, NR tags, rifles…??
I have several contacts. I got a call from one of our republican “good guys”. They help get me most recent info. I have to keep that contact private for obvious reasons. I have another friend who has a relative who is in legislature & they also got some feedback in writing that the emails in, passion & logic are being heard in a big way.
I also have a very good relationship on the “dark side”. ;). A couple actually. There’s some dang good democrats in the iowa state legislature!!! They know I’m a CONSERVATION CONSERVATIVE & we align amazingly on these issues. I’m so ashamed of a portion of the Republican Party. A portion. Sell outs & if that’s what republicans are- I’m not one. There is some good ones though. I’ll say it like this:
-Most of the Democrats are on the right side of this issue.
-a big handful of republicans are bought & paid for by the lobbyists, farm bureau and special interests. These people DO NOT LIKE ME!!!! Cause I’m calling them out & we are bringing the push back. I don’t care what they think. They deserve to be primaried out
- big handful of republicans on the correct/right side of this issue.
-majority of republicans don’t know what to think. No clue about hunting & deer management & what has happened to other states: those are the folks we need to reach!!!!!

Politics is a slimy world but we have good folks on the right side of the issues fighting for us. Keep bringing it!!!

*the time it takes any hunter to set up one tree stand for example - they could make a huge impact in the future of this state that will impact every season ahead.

**Velocity Inc is responsible for most these weapon bills. They are out of NY. They own Ravin crossbows & anything “air” …. Like crossman & Benjamin air rifles, etc. This is $ making with no care of the citizens or resource. They paid the lobbyists & padded pockets here. They are main driver. Shameful.

I haven’t heard squat from Rozenboom and I’m in his district!
I might have struck a nerve when I bought up his shed buck season bill from last year

4429720D-470F-4A8D-A23B-E6E4FC3DAA5D.gif

How many buck tags can a resident buy, and how much are they? How many doe tags and cost?

As a non res, who has hunted Iowa for 20 years, I will be done applying after I draw my next tag. I have 4 points and probably need 5. I'm done with Iowa, no matter how good it might be. And it's not getting better after all that time....Drew zone 5 in 2005 with one ($10) point. Now it takes me 5 ($60) points and a $650 license. In beginning I got on land for permission. Now can't get a 5 day hunt for less than $1000 a day (outfitter). I'm just done. I can tell when I'm not welcomed.

Last edited:
How many buck tags can a resident buy, and how much are they? How many doe tags and cost?

As a non res, who has hunted Iowa for 20 years, I will be done applying after I draw my next tag. I have 4 points and probably need 5. I'm done with Iowa, no matter how good it might be. And it's not getting better after all that time....Drew zone 5 in 2005 with one ($10) point. Now it takes me 5 ($60) points and a $650 license. In beginning I got on land for permission. Now can't get a 5 day hunt for less than $1000 a day (outfitter). I'm just done. I can tell when I'm not welcomed.

You aren’t “not welcome”. But I absolutely understand your frustration with the wait. RESIDENTS also have a lot of frustrations right now (at end below).

My personal little secret on what I’d do if I was a NR with a long wait…. I personally would go to kansas. Or …. Buy charity gov tag every 2-3 years that would get u hunting way more often & probably average out to $5k a year after tax advantages. & guys can & do still shotgun party hunt- right or wrong- that’s the law. Can shoot a buck here every year.

But yes, the increase draw time sucks. The DNR & legislature launched the “celebrity tags” to promote iowa maybe 25 years-ish ago. By design u must reach huge audiences & write a summary of how many people you reached and why your video was unique. Showcasing the best farms with giant bucks to audience #’s that literally are in the MILLIONS!!!!! After 25 years of doing this- what’s the result?!?!? More demand!! That program has NO MERIT. We need to stop this program immediately!!!!!! Keep it & demand will continue to rise. Shut it off & by definition - millions of viewers won’t be PROMOTED to hunt iowa watching the rarest best managed farms that give them an unfair view of iowa. CELEBRITY PROMOTION DEER TAGS NEED TO END!!!!!!!!!!!!

RESIDENT FEELINGS:
I feel your frustrations. On the other hand…. I hear the same things from RESIDENTS!!!! “I lost my permission farms”. “I have no where to go”. “This public land is over-run”. “The ground I have permission on sucks and it’s pummeled by other hunters”. RESIDENTS also have major frustrations. To SLOW everyone’s frustrations is the exact reason we are trying to get folks to quit messing with regs (main issue here) & also quit promoting this fragile tiny state to the rest of the country.

Buddy of mine was talking to me couple days ago. He lives in iowa. Owns a ranch in Utah or Idaho…. I forget which one & always get those 2 mixed up. He said he’d be lucky to get an elk tag every 20 years. He expects to never get one in his lifetime. Whichever state this is, he said they are very strict on the elk tags if you don’t live there. (I just text him on which state it is). I told him to hire a lobbyist & try to change the law!!! ;). He bought it several years ago and said “I knew what I signed up for & if I want to hunt elk every year I can buy in other states and I have”.

Ha- here’s his reply to “is it Idaho or Utah?” He owns in Idaho…
“Both states don't give elk tags unless you over 10k or 6 kin Utah depends where you are “

Last edited:

That is unfortunate. It’s spiraling to a rich man hunt and long term it’s bad all the way around. If the costs keep going up, it makes sense to go to another state.

That is unfortunate. It’s spiraling to a rich man hunt and long term it’s bad all the way around. If the costs keep going up, it makes sense to go to another state.
Been to every state I can think of and canada for deer. It's getting worse every where.

There are 50 million more people in the USA since I started hunting Iowa. Where are all these extra people going? More people = more problems. Can't keep things the same with this type of human growth.

Top Bottom