Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

LETTER TO LEGISLATURES & CONTACT- MY DRAFT ON 4 BILLS.....

Residents who own 2 ac or more get a $2 lot tag and two more buck tags, if they wish , at $32 a piece. Something like that. A doe tag accompanies each anysex tag. I can’t remember. Someone help.

In comparison to NR tags it’s peanuts. Hell a NR spring turkey tag is $300. I guess Iowa has the best turkey hunting too. But I do have a NR buddy who has a buddy in the NE who waits a month for a private goose blind for one day of hunting. He feels fortunate. It’s nothing but gouging.

Last edited:
How many buck tags can a resident buy, and how much are they? How many doe tags and cost?

????
Non landowners get 2. 1 bow and 1 gun. Landowners get a 3rd which they can choose any season.
I've shot 2 bucks in a season once in my life. I'd have no problem dropping a tag. If crossbows find their way into bow season, I think having to choose between bow or gun season for your 1 buck tag would be the only way to preserve hunting quality. Gun guys aren't going to give up gun season in order to crossbow hunt imo.

Also Urban hunt opportunities as well.

My fear- dropping to 1 buck tag, they will make it "an all year tag" to cause more problems. My opinion, its the slippery slope that youth tags being extended all year is creating.

Residents who own 2 ac or more get a $2 lot tag and two more buck tags, if they wish , at $32 a piece. Something like that. A doe tag accompanies each anysex tag. I can’t remember. Someone help.

Are you sure on this one? I didn't know there was an acre minimum. I was under the impression in order to receive a LO tag you had to have a source of income off the land you own. I was told that by a CO who was being questioned by a landowner of 5 acres with 0 income. Basically said didn't matter whether it was 5 or 500 acres has to have income. That was a while back so maybe that has changed.

Looks like it is supposed to be income generating. I always thought that was how it is supposed to be also but I don't know that it is enforced very often. This was a screenshot from the dnr website.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230209_142613_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230209_142613_Samsung Internet.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 79
I thought so. I actually think they have really cracked down on this in the last 10 years or so. It was very widely abused. Still is I'm sure.

Skip, I am going to send my email. I've sent emails the past few years when these stupid bills come around. But, I forget, do I need to copy and past everyones email on this list?
YES!!!!!!!!!
This list is all the folks on the nature resources committee.
If someone could take the time to make an email…. Copy & paste their name & send separately- that would be ideal. Otherwise, put a generic greeting like “Dear Legislature” or whatever & Blind carbon copy all of them. So they don’t see u sent to all of them. They understand this is coming from everyday citizens so it doesn’t need to be perfect.

Solid bullet points, as concise as possible & something unique YOU can add to it. Genuine passion. List all of the insane bills…. They have added 2 to the list in last 2 weeks. They getting crazier by the day. Egregious!!!! Everyone u know MUST write in!!! Even one email & blind CC everyone on this list. We need more folks writing in for sure!!! It’s feb 20 today- we need more writing in!!!!!

*heres most recent list of MADNESS!!!!!

SF277 – NR family member deer tags (O)

This bill creates a special deer hunting license available to certain nonresident family members. The bill allows a nonresident who is a family member of a resident to purchase a nonresident family member deer hunting license for a fee that is one-half the fee of a nonresident deer hunting license established by the Natural Resource Commission by rule. A nonresident may only use a nonresident family member hunting license while hunting with a resident who is a family member of the nonresident Sponsored by Sen. Klimesh - District 32 - Winneshiek Co. mike.klimesh@legis.iowa.gov

Subcommittee In person/Virtual Meeting *** 2/20/23 ***

Meeting Details: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/committees/meetings/subCommMeeting?meetingID=36594

Subcommittee Members to Contact ASAP:

Driscoll: dawn.driscoll@legis.iowa.gov

Trone Garriott: sarah.trone.garriott@legis.iowa.gov

Zumbach: dan.zumbach@legis.iowa.gov

HF322 – Transferable deer tags to landowners (O)

Two free tags to landowner, then they may sell to highest bidder

Sponsored by Rep. Hora - District 92 - Washington Co. heather.hora@legis.iowa.gov

SF255 – Nonresident deer tags to outfitters – (O)

Sponsored by Sen. Green (Boone) jesse.green@legis.iowa.gov

The bill requires the Natural Resources Committee to reserve 500 of the nonresident antlered or any sex deer hunting licenses for nonresidents who have made a reservation with an outfitter, as defined in the bill, that is currently registered as a business entity with the secretary of state and has maintained registration since prior to July 1, 2022. Referred to Natural Resources

SF138 - Airbows (O) - This bill provides that an airbow is a legal method of take during any deer hunting season in which any firearm is a legal method of take.

Approved by subcommittee with an amendment

SF208 – (formerly SF175) Second Chance Bow Tags (O) - This bill allows a person who was unsuccessful in taking a deer during a bow season while using a bow season deer hunting license, to use the license and unfilled tag during the late muzzleloader season or the January antlerless deer hunting season that follows the bow season for which the license and tag were valid. A person hunting pursuant to the bill is authorized to hunt using a crossbow during the January antlerless deer hunting season.

On Senate debate calendar

SF42 - Increases nonresident tag quota from 6,000 to 7,500 (O)

Sponsored by Sen. Klimesh (District 32) mike.klimesh@legis.iowa.gov

The bill increases the number of nonresidents any sex deer tags from the current 6,000 to 7,500. The bill requires NRC to use a random draw process that is weighted to favor applicants with the most preference points to assign nonresident antlered or any sex deer hunting licenses until all available nonresident antlered or any sex deer hunting licenses have been issued. The bill also provides that when a nonresident uses the antlerless deer only deer hunting license and tag that the nonresident is required to purchase with an antlered or any sex deer hunting license to take an antlerless deer in a zone that is above the population goal determined by NRC, then NRC will assign one preference point to the nonresident.

Subcommittee: Driscoll, Bennett and Rozenboom

Legend:

HF - House File HSB - House Study Bill SF - Senate File SSB - Senate Study Bill

(O) – Oppose

(S) – Support

(M)- Monitoring; watching the bill closely for any changes that may occur

(NR)- Not registered; our lobbyist has not declared our position

What do you mean 'blind cc everyone on this list'? like am i supposed to just email one person and then cc the entire list, but blind cc them so they dont all see who is all on it? I dont understand that or how to do that. Can I just copy and paste your entire list of all these emails and paste them into the to: part?

What do you mean 'blind cc everyone on this list'? like am i supposed to just email one person and then cc the entire list, but blind cc them so they dont all see who is all on it? I dont understand that or how to do that. Can I just copy and paste your entire list of all these emails and paste them into the to: part?
Ya. In ur email- u will see “CC”. & then “BCC”. U can e-mail top one to someone & rest put in BCC.
Like this …. Paste in here. Pretty easy. Holler if ?’s. I’ll help.
B9644013-6721-42D3-B282-69B9D14E042D.jpeg

Unfortunately, I know that these bills are being offered by various elected state reps, but does anyone know if the IDNR has registered an opinion on each of these bills, or not? If so, I would like to reference those in any letter(s) that I send in.

Unfortunately, I know that these bills are being offered by various elected state reps, but does anyone know if the IDNR has registered an opinion on each of these bills, or not? If so, I would like to reference those in any letter(s) that I send in.
If I remember right several years ago the deer biologist after Wille got in trouble for talking bad about governor Bransted. For the IDNR employees it’s in their best interest to keep their mouth shut to stay employed.

If I remember right several years ago the deer biologist after Wille got in trouble for talking bad about governor Bransted. For the IDNR employees it’s in their best interest to keep their mouth shut to stay employed.
What a shame!!! Wille was likely right. How shameful is it that PART of the Republican Party has Iowa’s deer resource for sale!!!! The politicians & lobbyists are for sale. I guess we knew that. But over my dead body will they sell out our resource!!!! They may try but if hunters fight back, we can & will win. Some of these R’s make me sick & no one can fire me for saying so!!!!

The deer biologist was Tom Linchfield and I’m not sure if he’s still around. He used to attend all the IBA Spring Banquets and after that happened I haven’t seen him since. Randy Taylor ( past IBA president) was in great terms with Dale Garner the top man at the DNR at that time when this all went down kinda like a gag order…..
Most of our DNR know this stuff is pure chit but there hands are tied

Can’t gag us!!!!!
Here’s what’s coming:
-We have to get more folks writing in. We need to hit em hard and HARDER!!! The request I heard from couple legislators TODAY. Get everyone u know not on here writing in!!!
-maybe a seminar at deer classic. Long story here.
-some guys I know suggested getting several iPads at IBA booth or another booth at deer classic to get folks to write in as they come by. Instant results.
-podcasts coming out & I’m gonna do a quick vid on this for social media to reach folks that don’t know this crap is going on.
Etc etc.
Boil this all down to basics & bottom line…. We need hunters writing in, period.

Can’t gag us!!!!!
Here’s what’s coming:
-We have to get more folks writing in. We need to hit em hard and HARDER!!! The request I heard from couple legislators TODAY. Get everyone u know not on here writing in!!!
-some guys I know suggested getting several iPads at IBA booth or another booth at deer classic to get folks to write in as they come by. Instant results.
-podcasts coming out & I’m gonna do a quick vid on this for social media to reach folks that don’t know this crap is going on.
Etc etc.
Boil this all down to basics & bottom line…. We need hunters writing in, period.
The iPads at the deer classic is a very good idea!!

Done...mail sent. Thanks for creating a great template, Skip. Kept 70% of what you had, deleted some and added my own spin, experiences, examples, anecdotes, etc.

I worked my ass off for 27 years to get back home to Iowa (to get back to the bowhunting I grew up experiencing in the 80's-90's) just a fuzz over two yrs ago. After living in other states, owning a few farms (all to chase deer on) in Nebraska, hunting MO for yrs...it's mind boggling to think that Iowa could go the route of these other piss-poorly managed midwestern states. It's ALL about the almighty dollar in those other states...they dont give a rip about the resource or the residents...money money money. This would be a nightmare to see this garbage get passed...just wait fellow Iowans...wait until the encroachment continues and they say they only want an inch, but they don't stop until they get the mile they're really after. This garbage passes, wait and see how long before there's a 9 day rifle season in November. first an inch, then miles.
You nailed what has been bugging me the most. This onslaught of non-stop garbage is fueled by $. It is politicians that want to strip mine the state for every penny. All to get votes. The couldn't care less about the natural resource. The real frustration is that the DNR has to abide by the crap that these politicians keep serving up, when they are the "experts". I plan to send an email soon, but am really getting frustrated by this stuff, which never ends and keeps getting worse.

Can’t gag us!!!!!
Here’s what’s coming:
Etc etc.

To reach more people and get more writing in I think need to get this stuff posted to the facebook groups "Iowabowhunters", "bowhunters of iowa (iowa only)". Those couple of facebook groups seem to be the biggest social media pages that are used during the fall etc for your everyday person in iowa that anyone can makes posts, share videos and photos.

Top Bottom