Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Liming farms

deerdown

Lime is ordered, they say 4-6 weeks for delivery. ENM is 390 and cost will be $20-23 per ton (going to 3 different farms).

Anxious to have that done. I've never had a farm limed before, tenant previously did it.

Do you prioritize farms in case weather turns wet?

Any suggestions? Anything I should be aware of?

Just one comment.
How many acres were put into 1 sample?
Can your line b spread accordingly to those acres at the rate needed?
If so maybe go to the farm that has the biggest area in need for lime.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Each sample was for 2.5a 20a, and 40a, depending on farm. PH is from 5.7 to 6.8 across the samples. I was going to blanket spread 2t per acre. I know the 6.8 ph doesn't require it, and I could get them a map of where that 20a field is and ask them to put the excess on one of the other 4 fields on that farm that are lower. Is that a reasonable request for them? Do most of these companies make those kind of adjustments?

I do like the idea of starting with the farm that needs it the most - and that is the grid sampled farm with the lowest ph.

They're going to be busy as I ordered 680t of lime.

Am I missing some thing ?? A 2.5 ac. 20 ac and 40 ac. Fields only require 130 tons of lime at 2 ton per acre???? Why so much ???

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Maybe I misunderstood the question, "How many acres were put into 1 sample?"
Samples were taken in 2.5a increments, 20a increments, and 40a increments.
340a total

I think his question was referencing variable rate liming application, but I may have misunderstood it.

Yes was referring to variable rate.
I really like your 2 1/2 acre grid samples.

Gives you the ability to go back and sample the exact same location again each time.

It also gives you the ability to not over applying lime, which saves you money, haveing some acres with to high pH isn't a good thing either.

The farm grid sampled at 2.5a was done by previous owner. I just closed on the farm a couple weeks ago, but it definitely needs to be limed the most as ph runs 5.7 - 5.9 across the tillable acres.

Someone told me the highest ph should be 6.8 otherwise it will tie up nutrients. Would you consider this the max ph before running into problems?

6.8 is dead on...
It also can have an effect on some herbicides if it gets to high.

Top Bottom