Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Logging Cedars

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
Has anyone heard of a logger that will take cedars ? This is large diameter cedar not small stuff.

Possibly a combo of cedar and oak to get the deal done. Curious

Has anyone heard of a logger that will take cedars ? This is large diameter cedar not small stuff.

Possibly a combo of cedar and oak to get the deal done. Curious

My uncle does log cabins and may have an interest in them depending on where they’re located??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going through the same thing at the moment, but further south in Central MO. They seem to be the lowest priority of the loggers we've contacted.

I had a company come look at my Cedars as I had a lot to get rid of, most were hollow and they wanted no part of them after they found that out... so I ended up cutting and using as firewood for the next 5 years

I had a company come look at my Cedars as I had a lot to get rid of, most were hollow and they wanted no part of them after they found that out... so I ended up cutting and using as firewood for the next 5 years

I’d like to take out 100+ or so, and they are good sized. I doubt they are hollow on mine.

Hmmm...dumb question...but is cedar a common wood for fire wood? Oak, hickory, elm, ash and several other varieties...I have seen aplenty...but cedar, I can't recall seeing that as a significant part of fire wood offered for sale, etc.

Hmmm...dumb question...but is cedar a common wood for fire wood? Oak, hickory, elm, ash and several other varieties...I have seen aplenty...but cedar, I can't recall seeing that as a significant part of fire wood offered for sale, etc.
Nope- its not and I dont sell it. I have a wood burner to heat our old farmhouse. Any wood is better than no wood in this instance.

ummmm nope. Oils in cedar can lead to chimney fires.

I’d like to take out 100+ or so, and they are good sized. I doubt they are hollow on mine.
Mine were 36-50 inches across and all looked great and healthy... So it really caught me/us off guard. We dropped 8 and every single one was hollow, so they didnt want to do anymore (and I dont blame them)

ummmm nope. Oils in cedar can lead to chimney fires.
I believe they say it's safe, but the woods has to be very dry. Otherwise it creates too much creosote. I don't burn it personally, but someone needed me to take a few pieces. That's what I read, so I let them dry 2 years before burning. The oil also causes it to spark and pop a lot.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I was in Starksville MS last summer eating at a BQ joint with my family on an overnight on our way to Florida. Two old boys started up a conversation with me about looking for larger cedars. They were from Texas I think and headed north to try and find cedar for a business they had making mostly cedar mailbox posts. They said they simply could not find enough cedar to operate their business. They asked about the supply in Illinois where I told them I was from. I suggested they check Kansas and Missouri. These guys were literally driving around the country looking for cedar. I know that's not much help but that's the best I got!

I was in Starksville MS last summer eating at a BQ joint with my family on an overnight on our way to Florida. Two old boys started up a conversation with me about looking for larger cedars. They were from Texas I think and headed north to try and find cedar for a business they had making mostly cedar mailbox posts. They said they simply could not find enough cedar to operate their business. They asked about the supply in Illinois where I told them I was from. I suggested they check Kansas and Missouri. These guys were literally driving around the country looking for cedar. I know that's not much help but that's the best I got!
Someone needs to point them to western iowa.

I piled up derecho cedars to use as fence posts. Used a couple of bigger ones to shore up a livestock loafing shed that some of the posts had rotted off.

So maybe a local has some projects rather than a logger? Pole barn construction?

There are some mills in Missouri that specialize in cedar. Google cedar log buyers Missouri and several come up. You could check with your district forester, they might know a local buyer.

Top Bottom