Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lost one

180class

So, here's the story. Last night at about 7:00 I have a nice big fat doe and 2 fawns come in. I range the doe at 33 yards, slightly quartering away. I get my 30 yard pin settled on the sweet spot and hit the release. Perfect hit, so I think. When the arrow hit, it sounded perfect. She kicked both of her hind legs up and took off. She went North, the two fawns went South. About 5 minutes later, I have what I think is another big doe comeing directly at me from the same directions the doe I just shot ran. This one get to 20 yards and right before I hit the release, some jackass on an atv comes flying through obviously tresspassing, and spooks the doe resulting in no shot. I'll get to the rest of this part later. Anyways, I get down out of my tree and find my arrow. I find the arrow is covered in bright pink blood which looked like lung blood to me. But, the only thing I don't understand is the blood seems to only be on half of the arrow. By half, I mean only on one side the entire length of the arrow. One fletching is completely covered in blood but the other two are not. One side of my wrap is covered, but on the opposite side of the wrap, it is still bright white. Anyways, I look for a blood trail and only find one little drop at the point of impact. I search for a good 30 minutes for more blood but come up empty. Here is my question. Is it possible to have hit her low enough in the chest, that I only clipped her and would only have blood on half my arrow? The way the hit sounded and the way she reacted would leave me to believe it was a perfect shot, but I couldn't find any more blood or any deer. Also is it possible that the second doe I had coming in was her coming back through looking for her two fawns? If so, she wasn't hurt at all. Now back to captain retard on the atv. While I'm looking for more blood, he decides to come back by me. I flag him down and rip him a new fart hole. He said he had permission to ride there, but when I asked him who gave the permission, he said the name other than the land owner. I asked him if common sense would say that if you seen a vehicle sitting on the edge of a timber maybe you shouldn't go riding through there. He just had a dumb look on his face and said "I'm sorry". There were some more words exchanged, mostly just him staring at me with a deer in the headlights look and me letting him have it. I finally told him to get the hell out of here and not come back. He didn't waste anytime leaving. I don't expect to see him again. So, what do you all think? Do I have a dead deer someplace or not? Sorry for rambling on.

It is hard to say,but the 4 wheeler could have pushed her to the next county if she had not expired before him showing up.

Were you shooting a mechanical? Possible only one blade opened, hence blood on one side, though it would seem a spinning arrow would have more blood on it.

Sounds to me like you hit her low like you said and just barely got her and that is why you arrow has only blood on one side.

You should have had a blunt you could use to shoot that idiot off his 4 wheeler.
grin.gif
grin.gif

The funniest part about the atv idiot, was he drove right past my arrow that was sticking in the ground covered in fresh blood on the 4-wheeler path. I know he had to see it and was to stupid to think...hummm....maybe someone is hunting in here.

Was there any bubbles on your arrow? Probably just winged her. What what that DA would have thought if a G5 smacked his ATV tire
grin.gif

Well same thing happend to me last year with a doe. I shot here a little high (she jump the string a little) and not 2 minutes after I watch her lay down, here comes a four wheeler at a high rate of speed, right at the deer. Although the guy on the four wheeler was the land owner trying to get a cow back in. I gave her a few more hours and the land owner and I found her about 200 yards where she first layed down. I had clipped both of the tops of the lungs, but she bled pretty decent. So I guess if you had a decent shot on her, I wouldn't think that she would be very far, pushed or not, when they get sick, they hide.

Is it possible that Mr. Extra Fart Hole man picked up that arrow while you weren't looking and wiped half of it off?
wtf.gif

I feelya Lance. I know a guy who had something similar happen. Only difference is, the it was a big buck and the buck is still running around or beded up dead somewhere with his arrow still in him.

[ QUOTE ]
It is hard to say,but the 4 wheeler could have pushed her to the next county if she had not expired before him showing up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with this, but also it seems as though there are a couple of other variables playing into the shot as well.

I shot a doe one year and she bolted, as another doe came in behind me. This second doe just gave my tree the stare-down.

When I went to get my doe, it turns out she was the same one that gave me the stare down...Never did find her.

Here is a posibility: with the angle of the doe and the angle of the arrow comming from your tree stand I think you may have only hit the top of the off-side lung. If the arrow went through the very top of the inside of the chest cavity this would give you the blood on only one side of the arrow and not the other. It would also mean that you only got one lung. A deer with a single lung hit can go a long ways if it wants to. If only one half of the chest cavity is penetrated only one lung will collapse in a deer. The high hhit would give a sparse blood trail until the chest filled with blood. You could have also hit both lungs very high in the chest cavity, only giving blood on one side of the arrow. I hit a buck a few years ago that only had one lung hit at 8:00am. Started trailing him at 12:00pm and bumped him. To make a long story short, I watched him expire at 4:00 that afternoon (couldn't take my bow on the property he was on).

She kicked, but did she run tail up or tall down?

You found only traces of blood by the arrow?

Was her front leg forward or backward when you shot?

How step of an angle were you shooting down?(How high is the stand)

Did you find any hair? Length? Color? Did the arrow have any smell to it?

Did you test shoot your G5s at 30+?

Assuming arrow flight was good, I will wager a guess. If you felt the shot looked good, which normally to most people means behind the front shoulder. Since she was quartering you may have tucked it a little low and a little forward. Causing the arrow to slide along the body and the leg.Which the cutting side would leave blood(which normally goes all the way around the arrow, but if the other side was rubbed against hide, it would easily wipe clean!
You would get early blood, but her running would cause the blood to stop almost instantly! A leg kick, (from what I have seen) is rarely a high hit, usually low. My guess sounds like a flesh wound. Did you notice any limping or any difficulty running after the shot?

Sorry, this was lengthy, but I suppose My guess could change after more info!

I think she is probably okay though!

[ QUOTE ]
She kicked, but did she run tail up or tall down?

You found only traces of blood by the arrow?

Was her front leg forward or backward when you shot?

How step of an angle were you shooting down?(How high is the stand)

Did you find any hair? Length? Color? Did the arrow have any smell to it?

Did you test shoot your G5s at 30+?

Assuming arrow flight was good, I will wager a guess. If you felt the shot looked good, which normally to most people means behind the front shoulder. Since she was quartering you may have tucked it a little low and a little forward. Causing the arrow to slide along the body and the leg.Which the cutting side would leave blood(which normally goes all the way around the arrow, but if the other side was rubbed against hide, it would easily wipe clean!
You would get early blood, but her running would cause the blood to stop almost instantly! A leg kick, (from what I have seen) is rarely a high hit, usually low. My guess sounds like a flesh wound. Did you notice any limping or any difficulty running after the shot?

Sorry, this was lengthy, but I suppose My guess could change after more info!

I think she is probably okay though!

[/ QUOTE ]

She kicked, but did she run tail up or tall down? Tail down

You found only traces of blood by the arrow? Yes, only one small drop.

Was her front leg forward or backward when you shot? She was stopped and I believe both front legs were in a relaxed standing position, both about parallel to each other.

How step of an angle were you shooting down?(How high is the stand)I was approximately 20' up and I ranged her at 33 yds.

Did you find any hair? Length? Color? Did the arrow have any smell to it? I had a few strands of hair on one blade of the broadhead. The hair was short and white, but I assumed this was picked up during the exit of the arrow, which from the angle of the shot, would have caught some white belly hair. I smelled the arrow, and it was definately not a gut shot deer. The arrow had no fowl smell what so ever.

Did you test shoot your G5s at 30+? I didn't shoot the G5 at 30, but I shot the same grain of muzzy at 30 and they shoot exactly like my field tips. My bow is tuned perfectly, so I wouldn't see why the G5 would fly any different than the muzzy.

If there was "bright pink" blood on the arrow my guess would still be a lung hit. I have operated on hundreds of cows and muscle blood is just a plain red color, nothing pink about it. A muscle hit would coat the entire arrow, or at least have tallow on the other 1/2 of the arrow if it passed just beneath the skin. If the hit was low in the chest cavity, I would expect a decent blood train close the the hit. Just my $.02.

Hmmm. You know, this is part of why I love whitetail hunting so much. You cold have the same chance tomorrow and it could go 60 yds and be done.

The pink does throw me alot, but I can figure a way to explain an arrow getting into a lung and only getting blood on one section of the arrow!

It sounds like everything should have gone perfectly, but didn't, and that is why it is hunting!! Well hopefully she is okay and you get the chance to redeem yourself!!

Also, please knw I wasn't attempting to be an A$$ about the broadhead question, but some can plain. Maybe something to check, but if they fly good at 20 they should fly fine at 30! Just wanted you to know I wasn't trying to start anything!

I would be careful with how you treat the guy on the ATV. At least until you find out if he really had permission or not. If he did and you treated one of the farm owners guests with that much dis-respect you may not be welcome back. Its better to be safe than sorry in these types of deals.

[ QUOTE ]
I would be careful with how you treat the guy on the ATV. At least until you find out if he really had permission or not. If he did and you treated one of the farm owners guests with that much dis-respect you may not be welcome back. Its better to be safe than sorry in these types of deals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've known the landowner for about 20 years. I went through school with his son and he has been a friend of our family for even longer. The guy on the ATV gave me the wrong name when I askd him who gave him permission, so I think I had every right to treat him the way I did. HE WAS TRESSPASSING!

Top Bottom