Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lucky Buck??anyone tried this

sethgade280

Any one use lucky buck mineral yet?? I have used it in WI and I see great results with deer using it. I have salt blocks out, but once I started to use the lucky buck, my number of pics went up 50%. Just thought I would throw it out there, and or if someone uses it down in ia that didn't get good results, because I put some out in my farm last month and wondering if the deer down here will use it like up in WI

I haven't got lucky buck for several years. I've used all the minerals out there and did "my own tests" and a comparison of quality ingredients- I've never had anything come close to as good as Phos-8, non-medicated beef mineral made by Land 'O Lakes- 50 lbs is around $17 & top quality ingredients. Hands down deer in my area prefer by far to anything I've tried.

If I remember correctly, I may be wrong, the ingredients on Lucky buck were mostly salt with lower amounts of "good stuff" & priced out it was far more than $17 for 50 lbs. I think it only came in buckets of what, 20 lbs or something for maybe $20-25? Figure the price out and I'll bet it's around $50-75 for 50 lbs if it were able to be purchased in 50's. I can't remember BUT I love my good ol' Phos-8 so I'll stick with that. If you're having great success, keep doing it of course though! :)

I can't say whether or not it's better than anything else but I do have great results with Lucky Buck. I like the smell and the deer do too...;) He's been a good guy to deal with. He's running a promo all summer (in select shops) that you can get a free bucket with any trailcam purchase. I sold a lot of cameras this summer...

Last edited:
Here's all the info I could find on web. I get by my local co-op but....

here's the product page that contains the item #
http://www.beeflinks.com/Natural%20Products%20List.htm#Minerals
<TABLE id=AutoNumber3 style="WIDTH: 491px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0 x:str><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=372 height=17>Pro Phos 8<!--mstheme--></TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=120 x:num><!--mstheme-->1990077</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I would go to THIS website, go to contact us and ask them where there's a dealer close to you: http://www.landolakesfeed.com/ I go to one in Libertyville, IA
Company websites:
http://www.lolfeed.com/contents/beef/beef7.asp or http://www.landolakesinc.com/

Ingredients and details, non-medicated:
http://www.beeflinks.com/Manual/1990077.pdf

I will check on the phos 8 mineral. The price for lucky buck is high and if there is something that is cheaper and works, I will get that thanks for info and feed back

Sligh1-
Forgive my ignorance, but does the ProPhos 8 come in a bag or a block form? From the info, I assume it's in a bag, but my wife says my assumptions aren't always that accurate! :eek:

My cabin is just a few miles from Libertyville,,you mean the feed place there? Actually there is only one place there,,little town. You mean the Libertyville west of Fairfield.

Right in Libertyville is Farmer's co-op- big facility. Go there, talk to Deb or who ever is there and tell em you want some Phos-8 beef mineral.
Now, I will say, year after year after year- right around this time is when the deer turn off the mineral- mineral/salt of ANY type. I LOVE putting mineral out from March through about August 15th and for some reason, they just completely quit (on any of places i hunt) right around this time, it's been that way for 8 years I've put it out.

SO- you might be looking at next year OR at least WAIT to make your judgement until you can see the action in spring and summer- it will amaze you, I promise. Plus, the benefits on antler growth are too late this year.
LR- you must be right by me!!?!?!?
*Seth, sorry for hi-jacking the thread, I just realized that. My apologies.

Have to say myself and the group of guys I hunt with in IA use Lucky Buck we have all seen tremendous results. Even though it is 20 bucks for 20 lbs its only a dollar per pound and with the results we have seen we will most likely stick to it. We have seen deer explode from 100" deer to 140" deer. Also the best example is a buck in IA we call "Stickers" went from a 175" 18 point 3 1/2 year old to a mind blustering 24 points and approximately 220"!!! However, it all goes back to the simple fact of, how much are you willing to spend and like ProPhos8, is there something perhaps better. I myself am going to look into the ProPhos 8 and maybe give it a try. Thanks for all the info on ProPhos 8 Sligh1.

I used it all summer and will continue to do so. The problem I have had with the 50 pound bags of mineral you buy at the feed store is how fast the deer go through it. I was dumping 150 pounds a week to keep 3 sites going this summer until I tried Lucky Buck. They seem to frequent it as much but must not sit there as long. One 20lb bucket was lasting 3 weeks or more and when you have to carry it a half mile on your back when its 90 degrees out I will gladly spend the 20 bucks. I have also found it is easier to establish a site with it due to its strong smell.

I have also found it is easier to establish a site with it due to its strong smell.

My personal experience with its powerful sweet aroma was seen through my trail cam pictures. In 2 months of my camera being on a particular mineral site I would average approx. 30-50 pictures a week. However, once I started putting lucky buck into the site, the average picture total jumped up to 250-350 pictures in a week. Love the stuff and cant believe the holes deer will dig for it.

I'm not sure if it will give you any antler growth, but for taking pictures the blocks you get at Theisens work just fine.
11514-cdy_0510.jpg

Even after they are gone the deer still destroy the ground trying to get the minerals left behind.
2010Leon

Last edited:
That buck is a stud!!! You can really tell they like that block you are using, before you know it you will have a small pond there haha.

The big one that won't grow antlers is SALT or Sodium content- read your ingredients on ANYTHING, you'll see some are just big bags of salt. Deer need and crave it but doesn't grow the antlers- salt is also helpful to attract for photos.
If you're putting down stuff with Calcium, Phosphorus, etc- those are all going to be beneficial. I would guess MOST of the mineral you could buy will have those. There's also lots of other ingredients (some are trace minerals) that help in areas like: general health, milk quality for fawns, parasite resistance, etc, etc, etc. If you give bucks general good health, those are all things that will help rack growth too. If a guy put out Phos-8, I have not found anything that can beat it for quality of all the ingredients needed, attraction by deer, rack growth, photos, price, etc. I know it's not the only option and the only good product out there BUT I sure haven't found anything better yet & I have no hidden motivation to say that- it's a mineral I pick up at my local co-op.

Last edited:
Sligh1,
I was doing some research on ProPhos-8, and I saw that the mineral has a high Copper concentration that can lead to health issues amongst animals. Also saw that there is a low dosage rate of mineral that is directly related to the amount of head in the herd (cattle based). Just wondering if you have done research on these issues. Any info would be great. Thanks

I have used lucky buck for 4 years now it is great for attracting the deer. I don't think it is the best product out there for them but it will attract them if your looking for a lot of pictures.

Top Bottom