Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Magnum 209 primers

bigbuckhunter88

PMA Member
For Blackhorn it recommends magnum primers. I recently moved and for the life of me can't find my primers. Went to buy some more and scheels doesn't carry them apparently. I swear that's where I bought them last time. Any suggestions on where to get them? Any of you NEIA guys know of any small shops that have them?

I always just used the winchester 209 problems. Never had an issue with BH209 and buy them from scheels. I dont believe they necessarily have to be magnum just cant be those week muzzleloader primers.

Maybe that's what it was. I found two packs of primers. One were muzzleloader primers and the others were the CCI primers but for some reason I thought they needed to be magnums.

Taken off their website below:

Blackhorn 209 is designed to work with standard 209 shotshell primers. For the best results, we recommend the following brands:

CCI 209M

Federal 209A

We DO NOT recommend any of the 209 primers designated for muzzleloaders (Winchester Triple 7, CCI MZL, Federal Fusion, or Remington Kleanbore). These primers are all weaker than standard shotshell 209 primers and do not provide adequate ignition for Blackhorn 209 – especially when used in a poorly designed breech plug system. We also DO NOT recommend #11 percussion caps, musket caps, high-powered rifle or pistol primers.

Have shot cci 209 m primers since switching to bh209 when it came out and have never had a problem.
Actually had a good friend have a few too many adult beverages and wanted to order 100 primers.... he ordered 100 boxes!! Should have a lifetime supply. If you cant find cci 209m's i could send you a few boxes

The winchester 209 primers will work if they are the 209w for shot guns just fine, they are a longer primer than the cci, make sure that you keep your flash channel of the Breech Plug cleaned out real good, the build up of carbon in the flash channel will be a little harder than the CCI primers.

Theisens always has a good supply of the Winchester shotgun 209 primers. Those primers have never let me down using Blackhorn.

Have shot cci 209 m primers since switching to bh209 when it came out and have never had a problem. Actually had a good friend have a few too many adult beverages and wanted to order 100 primers.... he ordered 100 boxes!! Should have a lifetime supply. If you cant find cci 209m's i could send you a few boxes

Got an extra box you would be willing to sell me?

The M in CCI M stands for magnum. Scheels carries them. I just bought a box there a couple weeks ago.

Agree on the CCI-M part. There are other CCI 209 primers and they are not recommended. The "M" is a magnum. As mentioned by others, muzzleloader specific primers also are NOT recommended. And, Winchester, Federal 209A are good choices. That rounds out the 3 I would consider.

Top Bottom