Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Make your own fletching?

DLO

Just wondering how many of you guys make your own fletching. I had 3 buddies come out first season, we all tagged out. In addition to making wingbone calls for everyone, I'm screwing around with making my own fletching out of the primary feathers from the birds. Just curious to see how many of you guys are into doing that. The arrow below appears to be a flu-flu arrow, it's not, I'm just waiting for the burner that I ordered to get here.

Img2005-04-18-0002.jpg

Img2005-04-18-0004.jpg

Img2005-04-18-0003.jpg

Looks awesome! Read an article about it once and sounded really cool, making your own fletching from a bird you harvested.

BT, I think they'll fly great, I just need to get my burner here so I can trim them. I'm actually thinking about just making a template and cutting them with a scissors. I want to try 'em out!!
26404-archer[1].gif

[ QUOTE ]
Here's what I use to cut the feathers, might be a little cleaner than a burner. You can buy them in any size or fletch style.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=2&s=8&p=36&i=4398X

[/ QUOTE ]

I went ahead ond ordered one... thanks man! I couldn't wait so I just cut the fletchings on that one arrow with a scissors
blush.gif
It flys great, but it sounds like a Formula 1 Car in flight. The fletchings don't look nearly as nice as they would if I had chopped or burned them, but I just wanted to see how they were going to work.

Img2005-04-19-0003.jpg

3117c8b8.jpg
shrug[1].gif

You can also send them in to a business that grinds the quills down. Nice and flat, they look like store bought when you get them back.

Don't know about others, but I have a heck of a time getting a good flat quill.

If you're interested in that, I could do a little looking and find out who takes them. Can't remember their name off the top of my head.

I know True Flight takes them, but only at certain times of the year and at 100 at a time. I had pretty good luck knocking most the thickness down with a Dremmel when the feather was in the jig clamp, I finished it off with 400 grit sandpaper, worked pretty well.

Top Bottom