Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Med/trauma kits

meyeri

PMA Member
Curious if guys carry med kits on them while hunting? Not like a boo boo kit; (bandaids, gauze, cold pack, etc type of kit), but trauma stuff like tourniquets, chest seal, battle dress bandages, etc. I hunt pretty remotely and sometimes that means no cell service. Although I doubt I'll ever have a negligent discharge, there is always potential for significant cuts lacerations when climbing trees and using razor sharp archery tackle. A full IFAK fits in a small pouch, doesn't add much weight and might save your life if you impale yourself on a tree spike or suffer a catastrophic injury. It's something I recently started carrying and it's something to think about.

Not a bad idea! I used to venture a few miles into the mountains when I was younger but luckily I never had any incidence. My buddy did once, fell out of a tree and dislocated his shoulder trying to grab limbs, painful walk out. Another close call was with my son who somehow (stupidness) stuck his forearm with a broadhead. He met me at the truck with a tunicate he made out of his tee shirt. Better safe than sorry!

I'm an ER doc, and would recommend all of you at least throw a tourniquet in your pack, small, takes up no room. And taking a basic stop the bleed course. Easy, simple courses don't take very long. And as hunters we have a higher likelihood of needing those skills.

I carry a full advanced IFAK, doesn't take up much room in on the outside of the pack.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I too carry a small trauma kit. Learned to use it when I was a LE door kicker. Like doc said just trying to stop from bleeding out until help gets to you or another in your party.

I'm an ER doc, and would recommend all of you at least throw a tourniquet in your pack, small, takes up no room. And taking a basic stop the bleed course. Easy, simple courses don't take very long. And as hunters we have a higher likelihood of needing those skills.

I carry a full advanced IFAK, doesn't take up much room in on the outside of the pack.

Although I think this is a fantastic idea I see the flaw....Our largest likelihood of injury will come in the form of a treestand failure/fall....so my question is if this happens and your kit is on your pack, how do you get to it...I dont have the answer but its definitely something to think about. A guy probably needs to figure out how to attach it to their person....just my thought

You're not wrong on that, depending what pants I am wearing g sometimes I will throw it in a cargo pocket.

You just catching up on the meateater podcast? Haha after listening to their podcast I added a few things to my pack. Hoping I’ll never have to use them, but they don’t add much weight and it could be a lifesaver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom