Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mexico Whitetail

Got to make a trip down to Old Mexico in Mid-January for a Coues hunt. January is when they rut down there, so great time to get a chance at a good one. However, wind was horrible first 3 days and only a little movement early and late. Lots and lots of glassing, but cover is so thick, that it's nearly impossible to spot them if they're not on the move. Middle of 4th day the wind finally let up and rut really kicked into gear. We were driving around the ranch to different glassing points and spotted a good one from the road up hillside. Things got a little western at that point and my buddy gave me a range of 350 yards. Squeezed off a shot and had a complete whiff. Thankfully it's about what you would expect hunting whitetails in the rut with a rifle and they weren't overly concerned. He ended up moving back into cover following the doe he was locked on before I could get another shot. That gave me time to range the tree he was under and found out yardage was 406 yards. A couple minutes later he came back down the trail under same tree following the doe. And I drilled him with the 300NM. I rough scored him at 122 5/8". B&C is 110". 32" of mass, 9" G2's, 19" beams. Managed to blow it on a couple of booners over the years when I lived in Iowa, so stoked to get it done on this Coues even if it looks like kind of a baby compared to Iowa Whitetails!

3cc10e14-ecb6-4ca6-bd3d-6d21510fb9e5.JPGIMG_9408.jpgIMG_9335.jpg
IMG_9445.jpg

Good gosh!!! I am no coues expert but I knew in a nano-second that was a pig. Well done!!! & u missed the 1st shot- that’s ironically funny. Well done on the second & a giant buck!!!
So pic of jaws & teeth... & what u know of coues.... is that buck pretty old? Same type of age ranges and classes as whitetail?

Good gosh!!! I am no coues expert but I knew in a nano-second that was a pig. Well done!!! & u missed the 1st shot- that’s ironically funny. Well done on the second & a giant buck!!!
So pic of jaws & teeth... & what u know of coues.... is that buck pretty old? Same type of age ranges and classes as whitetail?
Haha... I'm no stranger to missing. My first gut guess on score was 130", but only 3" G1's kept him down.

Not entirely sure on age class. My buddy shot a 105" deer while we were down there and the head on mine was literally twice as big. His had much less teeth wear too. I assume teeth wear is faster down here with all the sand and what is available to eat. I forgot to pull a tooth for aging. Been waiting to hear from outfitter to see if he got one pulled.

Now that's a stud Coues deer, mass on him is awesome! Crazy how climate affects body size as much as it does, his head is tiny compared to a big ole Iowa whitetail. Nice carbon rifle btw, what's that thing tip the scale at?

Now that's a stud Coues deer, mass on him is awesome! Crazy how climate affects body size as much as it does, his head is tiny compared to a big ole Iowa whitetail. Nice carbon rifle btw, what's that thing tip the scale at?
It's not as light as it looks. The Kahles K525i is kind of a heavy scope. And bartlein didn't get real aggressive on weight reduction for the barrel because they knew it was going to be a 300NM. I can't remember exact weight, but it's close to 11# as pictured. Fun to shoot though!

Top Bottom