Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mid-Day WI Bird

tlambert

PMA Member
I didn't have much time to get out for my first season in WI. I got down to the farm late yesterday morning and dropped my son off with my dad and headed for the blind. There was already a strutter out in the field and I ended up spooking him off. Not much happening there so I headed in for some breakfast. I checked some trailcams and moved one of my blinds to a little food plot that seemed to be seeing a lot of action. There's a little water hole here too so I figured they'd be coming down for a drink during the day. About 45 mins after I got in the blind, I had a hen work her way down to the waterhole and start drinking. About that time there was a gobble behind me up on top of the hill. I called a few times to get his attention and then settled in to watch the hen. She kept looking up the plot to where I couldn't see and was working her way that way so I peeked out the back window to see a tom in full strut just standing there. He was quite a ways out so I figured I'd wait him out. He stayed fanned out and in one spot for a full 10 mins when I heard the town mower tractor coming down the dead end road that was about 200yds away. He was mowing brush off and making a ton of noise. The hen bolted and the tom perked up like he was getting ready to go so I pulled up the 12ga and let it fly. He flopped around til I caught him and I was done! Ended up being a 54yd shot! As I walked out the town driver asked if he screwed up my hunt. I told him it was close! 19lbs 2oz, 9.25"
beard, 7/8" spurs. Just a young'n, but I have one more season starting tomorrow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom