Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Milo and Pea combo plot

arm

Leg
Has anyone tried planting these together? My only concern is that pea (4010) is a cool season grower while milo isn't and my only option is to plant at the same time. Mid-May is when I'm thinking but could do anytime.

I have been using a soybean and milo mix that I get from Welters, for years. You do not want to plant the milo until the ground temps reach 65 degrees

I have been using a soybean and milo mix that I get from Welters, for years. You do not want to plant the milo until the ground temps reach 65 degrees
So assume u have been pleased with results? What's it like for deer attraction & when does it seem to be best time for attraction on that? I've never done this. Sure open to it & was gonna do milo for birds sometime. For deer would it have a place into comparison with things like standing corn & beans or even turnips & radish, etc? (Obviously beans in there I see so has to be a draw with that for sure) Corn, beans, brassicas, etc - all those are great at certain times and scenarios and just curious how this mix fits into the whole picture for u? Thx for posting Guys and update later on how this turns out for u.

I use it more for cover next to my clover and along routes I walk, in and out of my blinds. Welters used to use a real tall milo, which I liked better, but now a shorter variety. I also add in peas and sunflower, and let it grow into a tall weedy mess. Kinda like WI's Powerplant mix. In September they wipe out the milo tops.

I don't have any real good reason for trying this mix other than doing something new. I'll have 20 acres of beans, then clover and brassicas as well. This mix will go into a new field and the later planting date will give me time to break up the ground.

I used Milo seed from Welters. Thought maybe it would get 4ft tall at the most but this stuff is 2ft tall and had seed heads. I planted this really late, which was July 1. Doesn't really matter but will this grow taller or done?
20170825_185539-1494x2656-747x1328.jpg

I have tried milo a few times in the past and just didn't get to it this year. I would think that once the heads are set, the plant is done growing vertically...but I am not sure about that. That stand looks pretty good given this years lack of rain. Milo is probably the most drought tolerant thing you can plant though in my experience and while you didn't get the stem height you wanted, you still have something useful there. Nice going!

Thank you :) It has a healthy amount of weeds in it too. Not sure what I could have done there, have peas mixed in too. All my plots are in a bottom and did well. Can't say the same for the bean field on the ridge. Im starving for cover here and I thought the milo would add a little but not sure it did.

Thank you :) It has a healthy amount of weeds in it too. Not sure what I could have done there, have peas mixed in too. All my plots are in a bottom and did well. Can't say the same for the bean field on the ridge. Im starving for cover here and I thought the milo would add a little but not sure it did.

Ya know...I think you could still add some peas to it now. If the ground is pretty smooth, then you might not get the germination to make it work...but if the ground is rough at all, as in something that the larger pea seed could fall into and then get covered via rain, you could get a double crop there. (Please note - I have not done this exact thing, so I spit balling there. :))

FWIW though, I have some corn ground this year that came in pretty sparse due to the lack of moisture in our area AND the ground is NOT terribly smooth. So I am going to hand seed some of these fields with various seeds and then hope for rain to make 'em grow. I plan on trying winter wheat, rye and brassicas depending on the area, not all in one spot. I might try some peas this way...

Sat on edge of a few acres of milo and deer in and out all day. More feeding that in the beans and in the rye/clover. I'm pretty sure they were working towards the beans in the evening though. Bonus, no way a deer can sneak up on you walking though it!
20171103_081510-747x1328.jpg

Old thread but.. I've been kicking around doing cowpeas and milo together. Might be a good option for food + weed supression with the milo too.

Top Bottom