Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mineral Sites Dried Up

Elitebowhunter

Anyone else?

Seems like the bucks have moved to the corn now that it is tall. How are you guys going about getting pictures during this time of the year? I got 5 cameras moved from the mineral sites to bean fields. The other cameras I still have on the mineral licks. Would like to keep track of this guy...

5846-earl.png

I have 2 out on minerals and I've only been getting a couple consistent does and there fawns, with an occasional young buck. Most of my pics of bucks are coming of trails going to and from corn/beans.

I put my minerals at the edge of a food plot near the crop ground, most deer that are going to feed or going back to bed will wonder by the mineral, I can also catch the deer that are just feeding with the camera

I have 2 out on minerals and I've only been getting a couple consistent does and there fawns, with an occasional young buck. Most of my pics of bucks are coming of trails going to and from corn/beans.

I was get 8 bucks regularly at one site, now none they have def moved to the beans

We put 90 percent of our mineral sites near where the deer on that particular farm usually get water during the summer. I've never noticed a difference of deer being near beans/corn/clover/brassicas-from june to august.
Like I said though our cameras over mineral sites are always within 30 yards of a water source wich also happen to be fairly close to all of those different food sources in any given year.
An old cattle farmer always said that if you ate a bunch of salt you would like to have a drink afterwards, and that cattle and deer hit the mineral and then a green food source or a waterhole.
We have always had constant pics in our mineral sites until they shed velvet, then its almost like flipping a coin to see wich ones stay and wich ones go. If we lose some good ones we will usually gain a few keepers every year also...
Short story is keep your mineral sites close to a constant water source and.maybe that will keep the pics coming.

I agree with Rich.. if there isnt water close by or dries up from close sources, your mineral activity will diminish severely.. the best mineral site i ever had was within 100 yds of a creek.. they tore that hole up within a year and made it damn near the size of a truck bed.. since then I havent had the opportunity to put a mineral site that close to a main water source, even though i have a greater density of deer, and they dont come close to tearing it up that bad.. water is key

I somewhat agree about the water, only problem is that 2 of those sites are within 30 yes of the creek and that creek runs the entire North side

I'm in the same boat as some others, I put my mineral sites right on the edge of a corn/bean plot...get the most action with the best of both worlds. As for mineral sites away from food sources, I usually notice they pick up at the end of July and in August. Seems the bucks hit them pretty hard then and move around a bit more.

We have put sites next to creeks but if the creek isn't their main water source you won't see as much activity. I will def agree that most of the deer are in the corn and are feeding in the beans all night.
We have had some very odd things go on with mineral sites also. In areas where you would think would get a lot of use sometimes suck. And sometimes the neighbor has got mineral sites that are more attractive for whatever reason.

Top Bottom