Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Missing Paul...

Daver

PMA Member
Today is the one year anniversary of the passing of Paul Knox, aka Dbltree here on IW and Lick Creek on other outdoor forums. I think of him often and I miss being able to talk to him and reading his voluminous threads/posts that helped so many hunters land managers all over this country.

I stopped by his gravesite Saturday and snapped this photo with the idea of posting it here for others to reflect on and remember him by. He was a great man and is gone way too soon. Thank you Paul for all you did to help others!

161-paul_knox.jpg

Was a sad Sunday morning in the tree last year Nov 30th.

Thanks for the reminder Daver.

I learned many things from Dbltree and still hunt over the rotation he created today.

We were truly blessed to have Paul here on Earth as long as we did.

Monday 11/30 was our rifle opener here in PA...I didn't realize that 11/30 was the date Paul had passed last year, but as luck would have it, I was sitting in a stand next to the two Northern Red Oaks I planted on top of our ridge as my contribution to the Dbltree Challenge this past spring. I thought of him as I looked down upon a bunch of tree plantings and a small patch of white clover that we started with oats and rye a few falls ago.

Thanks Paul...you are missed and may God Bless your family!

Man I was just thinking of him. I shot my buck last year and when we found it the next morning I sent a pic to his phone not knowing he had passed the previous night. Really sobering. Every now and then I get. Facebook "memory notification" about my kids and more often than not I'd see an old message from him.

Emerson:

To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - that is to have succeeded.

Even though Paul would deny it, he succeeded.

Best of the best right there. Incredible man and role model that will have rippling impacts for generations.

Paul was a true steward! He enriched so many hunters (and non hunters) lives and will continue to do so through the wealth of knowledge he readily shared. He sure left an imprint on the land.... Missed but not forgotten!

An interesting note to add...

I am in Florida right now for a meeting and I flew through Atlanta on the way down here. As we took off out of Atlanta I was looking out the window at the land below and as it got rural and more wooded below us as we ascended I happened to notice many ponds and "strips" in the fields below. I commented out loud about the strips and the man next to me said that those are food plots at hunting clubs.

We'll that caught my attention...so we talked a bit further and short story...believe it or not...he said that there was a guy from Iowa that many hunters and land managers in Georgia had adopted his techniques for food plotting and rotation, etc.

OMG...he was talking about Paul!! He asked me if I knew Paul and I laughed out loud. I then went on to tell him that, yes, I did know Paul. :D. In fact he and I were friends and neighbors, etc. Small, small world. But it was super cool to see and hear of Paul's influence from 20,000 feet in the air in another state.

That is awesome Dave! I'll share another story as well in Paul's memory...

It was this past spring, a few months after Paul's passing. A cousin of my dad's was stopping by the farm to say hi and they had a friend along from northern MO. The relatives of my dad's were hunters but it was the friend they brought along that was the "big" hunter/land manager. He noticed I was out digging up and transplanting some cedars as they pulled into the farm. Long story short we get inside and begin chatting about the farm and what we've done and what he does on his... he then notices the piece of paper I have from Paul's service pinned on our picture board at the farm. He stepped over to look at it and said "you know Paul?", he was a huge follower of Pauls on the QDM website and followed what Paul preached. He said he hadn't been on the website in a while and had no idea of Paul's passing. We chatted about how we each came to know Paul and what impact he has had on our lives. It then clicked for each of us, all the discussions we were having were so similar because we were following the same man's footsteps... Paul's!

Top Bottom