Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

mock rub/scrape trees

With the cooler weather last weekend the bucks are hitting the trees more aggressively. This 10 keeps coming back, trying to get the last of the velvet off his bases. I have 2 cameras on this tree. The cudde acts like its about to quit on me.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The one eyed buck came thru last night for the first time since putting the tree in.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The Hook buck has been marking this one daily.

picture.php

picture.php

All the scent from the other bucks is getting the younger ones worked up. Right now they seem to prefer the smaller bushier trees, but will start tearing up the bigger trees soon. The smaller ones will be destroyed in a couple weeks. I will switch them out with big ones by the end of the month.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

To the best of my ability I copied this idea yesterday, thanks again 6x6 for the post and pics! I made two separate sets and placed cams over both of them. The main problem I had though was that the ground so incredibly dry and hard that I could barely get a decent hole dug. We shall see what happens, but I would not be shocked to find my trees, or at least one of them, "uprooted". :D

I am anxious to see the pics we get though, it should be "buck heavy" and we have a few nice ones in the area.

Awesome Joe,
I hope they don't knock mine over? Put it in the ground pretty far but with the wet soil and the water I put in the hole I hope its still up by Saturday. I packed the heck out of it and was pretty sturdy.
There really on the move here with the cooler weather!
Can't wait to see more pictures!!

Bill, its still an experiment as to what size to put in and how deep. No matter how deep I sink them, some trees get pulled up and dragged across the field. I do put water in the hole to keep them green under the bark all season.The leaves turn brown right away but many start growing again the next spring under the rub line. If they do get it spinning in the hole no big deal, it seems to really get em going the looser the tree gets.I have been useing diamond willows, the kind with the little cones that look like wasp nests, because they are shorter with alot of gnarly limbs.The kind they make walking sticks and canes from. Regular willows should be fine, but they tend to grow straight up with few branches. I am going to put some cedar in this week to see if it works half as good, but the problem I see is that they will die and dry right away.

Great updates....can't wait to pull my cam this weekend. It will be 2 weeks...

Man, oh man....I got the rubbing posts and the cedar in one shot, and on the other cam, the rubbing post and the willow in the same shot....

This is a great thread, I may have to try this, I doubt I could get one in that far though....rock.

A mock scrape I set up recently. I figure they will like the hemp twine.

I also cleaned the limbs off some 2 doz spruce trunks to encourage rubs.

There is a lot more on mock scrapes and rubs on the QDMA site. They mention basswood as one of the best trees for rubs and branches.

http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33550&highlight=tree Best species for licking branch

http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32459&page=4&highlight=basswood Making a buck pole

http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33569 Preferred tree species for signpost rubbing

http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27731 Rope scrapes.....(pics)

Last edited:
Well, my cams were a little disappointing, BUT bucks will be moving in this month. I can't expect a huge immigration of bucks to the area because I put a tree in. However, when they do show up, I have a feeling they'll put the hammer down on the tree...

My pic count on my cam went up a ton though....

PIC_0049-1.jpg

PIC_0045-1.jpg

PIC_0011.jpg

There starting to realize its there! The does are really messing with it. Haven't had a buck touch it but about 10 different bucks looked at it. Had 310 pictures on this camera. All 10 bucks were in velvet, our other farm a mile away there all out of velvet?
Heres a few pictures of the past week.

PICT0416.jpg

PICT0412.jpg

PICT0418.jpg

PICT0420.jpg

PICT0588.jpg

homegrownbucks that video was awesome!
hotshott2289 I also had a lot of fog issues its been getting pretty cool down in the hollows at night.
Can't wait to check it next Sat.

Well, the bucks are not aggressively rubbing much yet, but really working the overhanging limbs and scrapeing. By oct. 1st. they will be be rubbing the bigger trees and getting more worked up.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The bucks have really dispersed from their summer pattern and new ones are moving in. I am seeing alot of scrapes opening up.

I dont know what to do for the youth opener. My 9 year old, Corben is determined to hunt the one eyed buck even thought we only get pics once every couple weeks and I have been showing him these other bucks that we could probably get on the first weekend. He just says no. He likes to pick out an old buck over the summer and stick with it. Last year he waited on his buck untill christmas eve before finally putting his youth tag on him. Funny thing is, the one eyed buck was feeding 10 feet from his buck. I honestly was not sure which one he had in the scope, but he said, I got it. At least he understands if you just put in the time eventually your chance may come.

Anyone else having fog issues these last couple of weeks?

Maybe that's whats happening to mine.. i burried a tree and put a cam on it over a week ago and checked it yesterday and a lot of the pics were fogged up like there was condensation on the lens.. had two 2.5 yr olds fighting in front of the cam next to the tree and can barely see it because of the condensation

Top Bottom