Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

mock rub/scrape trees

Had to give it a try. Been using grapevines for a few years with 100% success. This is first go at rubbing post. I made my son do most of the work. ;)
58953addd31374af6061ce9fd41796ad.jpg
1ed3382acf22871c624cc2504a3dfa09.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Been in the ground 6 months and still green..... ??? Tree was cut and placed in concrete.
085fe1040669127f34aa82d2d32ed537.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Been in the ground 6 months and still green..... ??? Tree was cut and placed in concrete.
085fe1040669127f34aa82d2d32ed537.jpg

Very interesting. I don't remember this thread from last fall, I am glad you brought it back out. I have used mock trees, with fair to good success, several times in the past...but it never occurred to me to try a conifer. Is that a white pine? I think I will throw a little variety out there this year and go with an evergreen or two. Thanks for the idea.

Very interesting. I don't remember this thread from last fall, I am glad you brought it back out. I have used mock trees, with fair to good success, several times in the past...but it never occurred to me to try a conifer. Is that a white pine? I think I will throw a little variety out there this year and go with an evergreen or two. Thanks for the idea.
Yes white pine.

I've been having success with the rubbing trees again. I used hybrid Willow branches this year. They have been tearing into them. They already tore the licking branch off this one. I don't concrete mine in. I auger a 24" deep by 4" wide hole and tamp the dirt tight as I backfill. I have never had one uprooted yet. I also follow 6x6s advice and water the hole before I backfill to keep the tree from drying out.

5a5656519244d8d1b4434eb7aaae8d48.jpg

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I have found that the more the tree shakes and spins around in the hole, the more they like it. They really like a big fork about 3-4’ up but that makes it much easier to pull out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found that the more the tree shakes and spins around in the hole, the more they like it. They really like a big fork about 3-4’ up but that makes it much easier to pull out.

That's pretty interesting. I came up with the sleeve just to avoid having to redig and anchor yearly. I bet a guy could just set the tree in the sleeve and not screw it in. It would spin freely. May try that.

I've been having success with the rubbing trees again. I used hybrid Willow branches this year. They have been tearing into them. They already tore the licking branch off this one. I don't concrete mine in. I auger a 24" deep by 4" wide hole and tamp the dirt tight as I backfill. I have never had one uprooted yet. I also follow 6x6s advice and water the hole before I backfill to keep the tree from drying out.

5a5656519244d8d1b4434eb7aaae8d48.jpg

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Those willows should grow roots if they dont pull them out

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1st & fastest of the year. Put up old white pine from last year. PVC about 3’ deep with cement & fastened pole down. Used some smaller pvc & fastened on & fastened grape vines. Will adjust it as needed. Next time when it’s not so hot- I’ll spend lil more time on next ones.
9b0545d6127b2df54800f057cdd96921.jpg

POLK COUNTY- if anyone wants to grab rub posts.... a park where storm smashed some down and they got cut up & trying to dispose, waiting for pick up of dead wood in piles. Perfect white pine rub posts. PM me & I’ll tell u where. I grabbed a few. :)
32849047198c628f86e2fd317164e595.jpg

I heard a dude on a podcast say white pine branches work good for mock scrapes. Sounds like you have an unlimited supply so worth a try.

There’s a bunch left. Filled up again & still piles at most places. Between these & a certain someone helping - getting close to enough. One good thing to come of that storm.
ab04179c3912353473d205ab0591f3db.jpg

Example of setup I really like for scrapes. Existing tree. Add some lower branches off another tree (preferably an oak that holds leaves), add a vine. Guarenteed scrape. Freat place to take camera inventory if nothing else. Never had this type of setup not result in a scrape.
03c0ba50ecd2c71b3630cb2bfa06d76d.jpg

Top Bottom