Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Modern Rifles in Iowa

Dam i hope not !!! Just a long range poaching tool !! You will see number of big deer drop dramatically in a few years ! Just my 2 cents !

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

Hope so , I’m sure the scatter brain slug hunting groups will abuse it the first couple years but after that I don’t think it’ll matter much. Plenty of muzzle loaders out there that’ll shoot 500 plus yards anyway so what’s the difference. I think they need a longer season to do it right , 5 days , well 2 if you work is why half these people hunt like lunatics. Give us the month of December for gun season and a normal rifle , I think things would calm down a lot after the first year ........

Hope so , I’m sure the scatter brain slug hunting groups will abuse it the first couple years but after that I don’t think it’ll matter much. Plenty of muzzle loaders out there that’ll shoot 500 plus yards anyway so what’s the difference. I think they need a longer season to do it right , 5 days , well 2 if you work is why half these people hunt like lunatics. Give us the month of December for gun season and a normal rifle , I think things would calm down a lot after the first year ........
Everyone has the right to give opinions...... but you need or want a month long rifle season to kill a deer up to 500 yards?!?!??

Take it from a guy that lived in a shotgun only county in wi all his life that went to rifle. 3 yrs ago ! Drive around in the evenings and dont see hardly any deer in the fields !! Trust me iowa will change forever and not for the better when it comes to deer hunting!!

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

That’s right , a month long season. Then people would be calm about it , all the time they need , a gun that shoots a ways accurately , no pressure to blast up the area. Think about it ..... it’s a no brainer !!! Now cram it into a weekend or a couple weekends and that provokes the mentality for a lot of the stupid moves people make. One month , one rifle , one shot ! Take your time , there will be plenty of other opportunity’s type of hunt.

That’s right , a month long season. Then people would be calm about it , all the time they need , a gun that shoots a ways accurately , no pressure to blast up the area. Think about it ..... it’s a no brainer !!! Now cram it into a weekend or a couple weekends and that provokes the mentality for a lot of the stupid moves people make. One month , one rifle , one shot ! Take your time , there will be plenty of other opportunity’s type of hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll disagree with that statement until eternity!! It is a no brainer for sure

So are you for a month long rifle season or month long muzzleloader season. Most rifles are more than one shot FWIW. The IFC and NRA need to mind their own business on this one

Not that I want to pile on, the other replies pretty well sum it up but a month long centerfire season would be calm in a couple of years because there wouldn't be any deer left to shoot. Can't get any calmer than that, unless you take into consideration how uncalm all the hunters would be with no deer to shoot.

The point I’m trying to make is I don’t see a problem with it at all , more time usually means a more relaxed type hunt , a more accurate weapon usually means a more relaxed hunt ! Now do I think we could stand to cut back some tags , you bet I do. Deer numbers are down it seems , but that’s an entirely different debate. I hunt many other states with a rifle , with a long season and have a very enjoyable hunt. I can make one long shot count on the deer I’m after or I go home with nothing , fine either way. The same number of deer would get taken and I’d probably see a lot less hopping around in January with slug holes in them somewhere. I’m all for cutting back tags so our deer numbers can grow but the method of take doesn’t control that number whatsoever.

The point I’m trying to make is I don’t see a problem with it at all , more time usually means a more relaxed type hunt , a more accurate weapon usually means a more relaxed hunt ! Now do I think we could stand to cut back some tags , you bet I do. Deer numbers are down it seems , but that’s an entirely different debate. I hunt many other states with a rifle , with a long season and have a very enjoyable hunt. I can make one long shot count on the deer I’m after or I go home with nothing , fine either way. The same number of deer would get taken and I’d probably see a lot less hopping around in January with slug holes in them somewhere. I’m all for cutting back tags so our deer numbers can grow but the method of take doesn’t control that number whatsoever.
Curious what part of Iowa you are from. Up here rifles would equal a nightmare . Short walls and smokeless muzzies are bad enough. A road damn near every mile and mainly square mile sections. But in some areas with less roads and more hills and timber it wouldn't be as bad.

So you think a longer season with rifles would slow down southern Iowa party hunting led slingers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn’t a whole lot of difference between a 500 yard 50 caliber bullet or a 500 yard 130 grain 270 bullet is there ??? I guess if it hits what it was intended to it’s gonna be just as dead either way. I don’t personally care for AR-15s loaded up with 30 round clips but by gosh they can sure use them around here. I killed my first buck with a rifle in Wyoming 27 years ago , at the age of 13 so a big part of me is a completely different type of hunter than most on this site. I hunt with a muzzleloader in Iowa , it shoots as far as most of my rifles , I only shoot once , I was taught to make it clean and make it count.

Isn’t a whole lot of difference between a 500 yard 50 caliber bullet or a 500 yard 130 grain 270 bullet is there ??? I guess if it hits what it was intended to it’s gonna be just as dead either way. I don’t personally care for AR-15s loaded up with 30 round clips but by gosh they can sure use them around here. I killed my first buck with a rifle in Wyoming 27 years ago , at the age of 13 so a big part of me is a completely different type of hunter than most on this site. I hunt with a muzzleloader in Iowa , it shoots as far as most of my rifles , I only shoot once , I was taught to make it clean and make it count.

The problem is most of the gun hunters are not like you. They will load as may cartridges as possible and shoot all they can while they can still see a running deer. Iowa isn't Wyoming.

Not pointing fingers but the other states that you hunt with a rifle, are you hunting properties that are tightly held and controlled access?? The party hunt scenario would have to go with your philosophy to work in my opinion. Not that I am for or against party hunting but it is legal. You are describing a one on one scenario where you sit and wait to pick the deer you are after. I disagree that the rifle season for a month long would be good.

I hunt a little of both , some private in Wyoming , Missouri , and South Dakota on the years I can draw. Also some public in those stares and Montana. Deer numbers is the main issue in most areas lately it seems , method of take never really is an issue. I did totally forget about the party hunting deal , I agree that would likely be a problem. Like I said I just hunt what I’m after , if I find him great , if not that’s why it’s called hunting. From all the reply’s it sounds like we have a lot more people problems in this state than anything , I think it should be one screw up and your done , make more money for the state writing idiots tickets and less on selling tags !

Top Bottom