Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

More about dogs...

Oct-Lull

So I have a farm I have hunted on permission for about 10 years. He has decided to lease this coming year and we worked out the framework of a contract. I had a couple years in the past where his dogs basically ruined the entire season due to chasing and running deer. The problem dog is gone but today his dogs ran the farm out for several hours. I have a good number of cameras and this is the first day I have had pictures all season. I now feel without a doubt there needs to be something in the lease to protect me in case it continues. He says he would lock them up but honestly I am not sure it would take care of it or he would stick to it. Anyone else have a clause in a lease dealing with landowner dogs?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It's not ideal but if he wants a lease he has to do something. If anyone is paying to hunt and has the season blown out by dogs I dont believe that would sit well. If he does it with someone else and gets sued thats not my problem. As a neighbor I would prefer to avoid that issue. Its a deal breaker for me if its left unresolved. Hes wanting top dollar and a little more as well.

I wonder how serious he is about keeping his dogs locked up. Refund your money level serious, or empty promise level serious. Good luck, keep us posted.

It's so hard to enforce this. If he breaks the contract - which sounds like is pretty likely.... Going after a refund doesn't sound fun or practical. Only way it would work, IMO, is to pay like 25-50% up front & then the remainder at end of the season. If dogs are an issue, you wouldn't have to pay the remainder. You don't want to resolve this in court IMO. I'd either walk away or make sure I didn't pay for the whole lease until I knew the dogs issue was solved.

I'd either walk away or make sure I didn't pay for the whole lease until I knew the dogs issue was solved.

+1. I agree with this approach. You'll probably have to negotiate to see what this retainage amount is that works for both parties. If you can't come to an agreement, I'd save my dollars and spend them elsewhere..

I'll about guarantee the dogs will still be an issue. He may make an effort to lock them up if he is around and sees you are there, but I bet that's about the extent of it.

Farmers don't care about your buck hunting. They care about farming and farm life. They talk to their neighbors who are leasing , and want a slice. I've found that you have to work around farmers, not the other way around. They hold the cards.

I’d walk away. Spy is spot on. Farmers could care less about hunting. If they can make a few bucks on the non-tillable they view as garbage ground, great, if not nothing lost. I would find a new piece.

Heck I can't keep them off my own private ground, I can't imagine trying to keep them off a lease. Especially if they are the landowners..

Another option and maybe this is not even practical but it just came to me. Maybe offer to split the price of an invisible fence? your half taken off the end lease price and you help install. At least this way you never have to worry about him forgetting to lock the pups up. Just a thought

I like the pay half up front and if dogs are an issue don’t pay remaining deal. Probably have to work that one out beforehand so he knows what will happen if his dogs are a problem. Just tell him up front and be honest that nobody leasing that for hunting rights is going to want to deal with his dogs. Or they might deal with them another way

Appreciate the input. Its not currently an issue but it was in the past. Have a couple ideas to throw his way now and see how he reacts. That should tell alot of the story for the future.

Well it may actually be worse in that it turns out the dogs belong the a neighbor. He didn't give a crap when I went and told him and actually seemed irritated I stopped in and said anything

Top Bottom