Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Most Overrated Hunting Personality

My three favorites are Midwest Whitetail, Heartland Bowhunter, and Growing Deer TV with Grant Woods and they are all available online!

Jimmy Steggar's Monster Trophy Whitetails and whatever Larry Weishuhn's show is are both bottom of the barrel crap. They both hunt high fenced ranches 100% of the time and I don't think I have ever seen Weishuhn make a clean single shot kill on anything.

I like Major League Bowhunter, Whitetail Properties, Midwest Whitetail and Heartland Bowhunter...Can't forget the Iowa boys Team NXG!

I think some of these people had to be decent hunters to start with (Potts, Miller, Salter, etc). Also, I expect most sacrificed alot to get to this point in their careers. However, that does not mean I enjoy the majority of the content available for viewing, hardly.

Of the higher profile people in the industry I do respect, (1) Drurys taught me alot about 15 years ago before they got bigger in the industry and went from quality of hunts produced to quantity. Still respect Mark immensely though both as a hunter and a businessman. (2) Kisky's - I think Don has forgot more about whitetails than I may ever learn. However, again, I preferred the content a few years ago better than I do today. (3) Lee and Tiff - over-commericialized, yes. Have built everything they have, also yes. (4) Primos - hard to not enjoy these guys.

Favorite - Winke, hands down. GREAT educator and ambassador of deer/bow hunting.

Underrated - Low Profile - I have always thought that Steve Snow is a big buck killer, period. Ben Rising, also a slammer of big bucks and probably is one of the better woodsman as a life-long logger/timber guy. Don't know much about Adam Hayes other than he has an incredible recent record on BIG bucks. Otherwise, I can think of about 4-5 IW guys I would put in this category.

Can't stand - Potts, HP3D (makes me want to puke), Morris (nice guy I am sure but talk about an environment that none of us can relate to).

Don't have Outdoor Channel and from the looks of this post, shouldn't waste my money.

Although I don't watch any of their shows, I have a lot of respect for both groups you described. They manage the crap out of their ground, and help build those giants you see them kill. They all started at the bottom, and worked their way up. It would be a lot harder to do the same today, because 1, the "hunting show" industry is flooded with "professional hunters", and 2, your dollar isn't going to go very far today with the way the economy is.

But I would not doubt, if you took Lee Lakosky, Mark or Terry Drury about anywhere, in time they would learn the habitat, deer movement, and food source, and kill a mature buck. Might not be a 170 inch deer, but would bet they would be on the 5.5+ year old bucks.

Don Kisky is another one that is underated in my opinon. He had a hunt where he went onto public ground and killed a big deer. He is just a good hunter, and a full time farmer.

Not saying L&T or the Drurys dont have the skills and it is not out of disrespect to them. My point is, if most of us on this site had the time and $ to devote to hunting deer that they do, we all would be whacking trophies on a consistent basis. At the same time, put L&T or the Drurys behind a desk for 40 -60 hours and give themone or two small properties that they dont own and and cant grow food plots on etc. and they probably wont be killing booners every year, like they do now. $ and time is everything if you want to consistently kill big deer. Having both like these pros do gives them a huge advatage.

I think some people are jealous of what the pros have. If I could make enough money to live off of from hunting, I Would in a second and I guarantee 95% of everyone on here would too.

I always think there are a few points to keep in mind when "judging" these guys:

1. Great post, great thread - seems a lot of "us folk" are in agreement with what we like! :way:

2. It's OK to judge someone's actions, not OK to judge the "inside." Some of these people just love hunting like you and I and want to hunt for a living...they never thought about what it would do to our hobby. I don't think they woke up saying, "You know, I just want to destroy the hobby...the very thing I love."

3. Like Nanny said, these guys built a lot of their business from the ground up - put in a lot of hard work - so how does a guy like me or you fault someone for that? We live in a "compare" society where we get upset with those that have what we want. But does it even matter if the farm was handed down to him?? It is what it is...and I'm still doing what I love...we can compare til we're blue in the face...

4. I also don't like the product pimping...heck, I don't even have cable, so I can't watch it. We elect not to have any DVD sponsors at Outreach, but aren't against it, but I guarantee you this - that unless you have some money, you won't find yourself on TV without them consistently... :D

5. Lastly - I'd like to see a post about who we would LOVE to see have their own show FROM THIS SITE... :way: I have a couple I could name... Maybe a new thread is in the mix.

Just my $0.02 - great post! :way:

I think some people are jealous of what the pros have. If I could make enough money to live off of from hunting, I Would in a second and I guarantee 95% of everyone on here would too.

You can change that 95% to 100%. Anyone on here who says they aren't envious of the pros is lying.

i agree with nanny and gladiator. most of these guys started just like most of us and WERE consistently killing big, mature deer....then they started doing it on tv.
there are a few that really annoy me, but i do think they all have good intentions. i also hate the shows that are like a post-nascar-race-interview with all the sponsor name dropping.

Not saying L&T or the Drurys dont have the skills and it is not out of disrespect to them. My point is, if most of us on this site had the time and $ to devote to hunting deer that they do, we all would be whacking trophies on a consistent basis. At the same time, put L&T or the Drurys behind a desk for 40 -60 hours and give themone or two small properties that they dont own and and cant grow food plots on etc. and they probably wont be killing booners every year, like they do now. $ and time is everything if you want to consistently kill big deer. Having both like these pros do gives them a huge advatage.

I will respectively disagree with you. I can name 3 people in our county, with money, land, and tons of big bucks on their ground, yet they fail to kill a giant every year.

But they all have money and time.......

You can change that 95% to 100%. Anyone on here who says they aren't envious of the pros is lying.

I totally disagree, that is a rash statement to make on behalf of several hundred, maybe even several thousand, people you do not know. FWIW, I actually know a fair number of the people that others have referred to in this post and I am not envious of any of them...or anyone else for that matter. (Well maybe Dbltree. :D)

I totally disagree, that is a rash statement to make on behalf of several hundred, maybe even several thousand, people you do not know. FWIW, I actually know a fair number of the people that others have referred to in this post and I am not envious of any of them...or anyone else for that matter. (Well maybe Dbltree. :D)

I was kind of thinking the same thing..

I'm pretty happy with my existence as it is. Instead of being consumed with food plotting in the summer, stand work and endless shows to attend etc etc etc I take my boys fishing, to the family cabin or to baseball or whatever. In the winter, instead of being gone half of the time from home I never miss a hockey game that they play. I have friends and neighbors who allow me to access their land on a handshake and don't have to worry about bucks crossing onto the neighboring property lines or people hanging over "my" property lines or worry about someone else in a tree with me, with a camera to capture me at my most personal moments for the world to see. I also don't have to deal with the endless onslaught of publicity issues, both good and bad that they do. I just go hunting when I can and sometimes I'm lucky enough to killa real doozy and I never feel like I have to.

Yeah I'm jealous and want to be just like guys I think are dbags.

I Defiantly don't want to be a PH.

Mobile Cooter using IW

Cooter said:
Yeah I'm jealous and want to be just like guys I think are dbags.

I Defiantly don't want to be a PH.

Mobile Cooter using IW

So if I show up at your door tomorrow and say you can quit your job and hunt for a living and ill give you tons of free gear and the chance to travel the world to hunt. You would say no?

Midwest Whitetail is probably my favorite. He is very calm and has good info. This show is just put together well. #1. I do like Drury also.

Worst: Anything with Stan Potts. This guys can hands down make the argument for the anti hunters. I could care less about, this is how he shows his passion, he should be selling used cars. Ya I know he has killed some world class animals but hell, how could he miss anything with that creepy eye always looking in the bean field!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the rant, just cant stand his s---

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a big difference between what you're saying and actually trying to make a living doing it. There is absolutely no way I would ruin my enjoyment of hunting by making it into a job.

DGorman said:
There's a big difference between what you're saying and actually trying to make a living doing it. There is absolutely no way I would ruin my enjoyment of hunting by making it into a job.

Agreed... I think anytime you make a hobby you enjoy a job you lose your passion for it. Sure it's nice to think about but never will be an option, No matter what.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
colorado said:
So if I show up at your door tomorrow and say you can quit your job and hunt for a living and ill give you tons of free gear and the chance to travel the world to hunt. You would say no?

First off nothing is free... and no I wouldn't take the offer.

Mobile Cooter using IW

Top Bottom