Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Movement in the heat

TimmyD525

PMA Member
Hey guys last day of my pre rut vacation so hunting this afternoon no matter the weather. Curious everyone’s experience with movement of mature deer during heat early on in the rut? Normally where I hunt south winds always seem to kill deer movement, but with it being nov 3 hoping it trumps some of that.

Generally speaking I hate warm and windy. Cameras have been dead since 9 am but I did see a good number of bucks moving around while working this morning. All small. I am sitting on a pinch between bedding just off food so who knows but worth a shot. Bigger bucks have been locked down here for the past few days

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

yeah not good IMO. Obviously that can all change in a heartbeat if a hot doe walks by, but this is FAR from ideal. Next week looks a bit better.

...cams have gone dead with this warmup.

Yeah I’m sitting a spot I’ve never sat before at a pinch down in a dried up creek bottom leading out to some cut beans. Kind of banking on some last 30 min action, I’ll keep you guys posted what time I start seeing movement. Lot fresh tracks down here

This time of year anything can happen at anytime, even in hot weather. I killed my biggest on a 75 degree day on November 5th many years ago. I've seen buck chasing doe mid day the 1st week of November more then once during unusually hot weather, when it's on it's on no matter what the temps.

Thanks for the input, update from this evenings hunt, had an 8 pt work a scrape on the field edge and work thru the draw paralleling the bean field at 4:50, and that was all I saw all night.

This time of year anything can happen at anytime, even in hot weather. I killed my biggest on a 75 degree day on November 5th many years ago. I've seen buck chasing doe mid day the 1st week of November more then once during unusually hot weather, when it's on it's on no matter what the temps.

Good point ^^. It reminds of a hunt many years ago when it was quite warm in early November and I wasn't going to hunt, except that my oldest son wanted to go and I thought, "What the heck, it's so warm that he won't get cold in a few minutes...let's do it.".

We went and a nice buck trotted into our laps after we had been in the stand for a short time and I shot it...easy peasy. :)

Congrats to your Dad!

Had a buck like that cross the gravel road in front of me before sunset tonight, so there is some movement. I opted out of a hunt so as not to bugger up the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats to your Dad, my dad was hunting a different farm this evening and didn’t see anything. Had to slow down about 6 times to let deer cross the road in the way home so seems like they waited until basically darkness in the immediate area today

In 2016 it got Warm here, and the movement just died off on my hunts the 1st, 2nd, 3rd. So on the 4th I decided to switch it up. And hunt a tree stand that I saved for later in the season, So I sat the morning. And Killed the biggest 8 pointer I've ever seen on the hoof.

(So don't give up, and hunt the cool mornings They might not move much because of the 70 degree Temps, But move close to their bedding area, and be aggressive)

I hope they move this weekend, even with the heat and high winds. Still think it might be slow mid-day but I guess you never know?

It was hotter than Hades tonight. Was in a long sleeve T and sweating like crazy by the time we got set. Deer movement was good and mature bucks are on their feet. Wishing for another buck tag

Top Bottom